New FIRESTORM 7.1.9 Got Many Issues

From the moment i downloaded the new version the graphic on screen became horrible i made the adjustments needed at setting and still the default lights are ugly and to brights

lands environment does not look natural but like in studio or some video game

My screen started flickering colors from the environment reflectaions on water

a little bit of graphics glitch when you are in motion

Try close the new viewer version you get a window stuck on desktop screen saying "Closing firestorm" and after like 10-20 sec its gone what the hell is that ?

Viewer F.P.S getting low and sometimes crashing the graphics so you need to relog 

Secondlife looks like a video game in the new firestorm version and lights are taking over the graphic on screen . 

100% bad experience with the new version .

that is not PBR looks realistic not even close...that is broken rendering system make the SL world looks like studio edit light and not natural as it usually.

Back to the old good version 

• Like 11

We need to know about your hardware, drivers etc. Please paste the output of Help > Abount Firestorm.

It is categorically not broken but it will not play nicely with certain hardware configurations.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RhythmC said:

Try close the new viewer version you get a window stuck on desktop screen saying "Closing firestorm" and after like 10-20 sec its gone what the hell is that ?

This is intentional, the viewer has never closed immediately, it just closed the window and kept working in the background with shutdown tasks. If you interrupted that by, say, shutting down the computer, it causes problems so the viewer now keeps itself visible with a notice window until it's done.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Regarding graphics speed - FS Support recommends reducing graphics quality, changing VRAM from automatic down to 2/3 of your physical Video Memory. I must say my PBR runs very well on medium, and I have a "normal" PC

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Frionil Fang said:

This is intentional, the viewer has never closed immediately, it just closed the window and kept working in the background with shutdown tasks. If you interrupted that by, say, shutting down the computer, it causes problems so the viewer now keeps itself visible with a notice window until it's done.

It would help if the window said anything, I suppose it does... it says: "..."

A little information might lead to less users being confused about why it's there. "Please wait, shutting down Firestorm" might be a good idea.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

It would help if the window said anything, I suppose it does... it says: "..."

A little information might lead to less users being confused about why it's there. "Please wait, shutting down Firestorm" might be a good idea.

Likely a bug of some sort. Most of the time it does indeed say "Shutting Down" for me, but a few times I saw those "..." as well.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Likely a bug of some sort. Most of the time it does indeed say "Shutting Down" for me, but a few times I saw those "..." as well.

Yeah, same. It starts as "..." and then changes to "Shutting Down" after a moment, but I guess whatever process is handling the window is the one that's busy doing the shutdown tasks, so if the notice window isn't visible when it changes the text it never gets updated (and in fact more than once I've accidentally pressed a key with the notice active and Windows immediately is like "THIS WINDOW IS NOT RESPONDING SHOULD I KILL"). Please do not, just let it finish.

• Like 3

There are MANY issues. The worst one is the offline notices that won't close or clear. I have tried multiple means to do so when logging in and they will not clear without multiple relogs and cache clears. Logging in and being notice free is about a twenty minute job now. The rendering is MUCH slower and graphically more cartoonish. Loading time is much much slower. Personally FS is now becoming as overbloated and non functional as the SL viewer. The only reason I use it still is the fact that it is only one of two viewers where you can keep the friends list and the chat window docked. The other one is Cool VL Viewer.

• Like 3

I downloaded the new version when it was released, and Everything in the game was loading very, very slowly. I also noticed they changed around the building tools, which I personally didn't think was needed. Also, they changed the image Upload price from 10Ls to 50Ls. Has anyone else noticed anything different? I went back to the older version and sometimes my screen is Flickering black or it goes completely black. If turn off my VBO then the flickering stops.  

• Like 1

I have updated from 6.6.17 to 7.1.9 and noticed, that some graphics settings are gone, like the possibility to enable or disable the Atmospheric Shaders or the Advance Lighting Model.
At least they are not on the General tab of Graphics. Were those settings moved?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Koyomi Yoshikawa said:

I have updated from 6.6.17 to 7.1.9 and noticed, that some graphics settings are gone, like the possibility to enable or disable the Atmospheric Shaders or the Advance Lighting Model.
At least they are not on the General tab of Graphics. Were those settings moved?

They are defaulted to always on with no way to disable them anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Koyomi Yoshikawa said:

Gone forever.

• Like 3

Having trouble with the new Firestorm on MAC, strange graphic problems like the eyes on some of my kittycats don't show up, some kittycats boxes don't completely load, etc.  world flashes when camming.   None of these problems until I installed 7.1.9 - using OS Sonoma on IMAC.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Maybe it's time to dust off the PC, reapply thermal paste, or take a look at the fans?

how about you come do that for me.

I have no heating issues with firestorm 6 or any other games including those powered by the Unreal engine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

All the above comments arriving just after the release of Firestorm 7.I.9 just emphasise the relative userbase that Firestorm has.  Users of the default LL viewer have seen most, if not all of those glitches listed since the beginning of 2024.

The ability to turn off the new render pathway and shadows only exists in one viewer to my knowledge and that is Henri Beauchamp's Cool VL viewer.  Maybe have a look there.

By the way, all of the changes were imposed by LL, not at the whim of a TPV developer.

It must be remembered that non-PBR viewers will soon be deprecated if not by the viewer teams themselves then by the increasing use of PBR textures in creations with no "fallback" blinn-phong ( yes that is the real name of non-PBR textures, apparently) textures.   The Wheel of Progress grinds on regardless.

Edited by Aishagain
additional info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, VenKellie said:

how about you come do that for me.

I have no heating issues with firestorm 6 or any other games including those powered by the Unreal engine

"My car makes a scary noise only when I drive on this road. Clearly the issue is the road, my car is fine on other roads."

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

50L$ should only be for 2048 size textures.

I uploaded 1024 for $10L, and 2048 for $50L just yesterday.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"My car makes a scary noise only when I drive on this road. Clearly the issue is the road, my car is fine on other roads."

well arent you an ass. BLOCKED!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am not a fan the new viewer and agree that the light is too bright and artificial looking. I also don't really like the change in format on the textures tab of edit - as a builder it's not for me. As for uploading textures, I pay for that newer account where uploads are 0L and that is still the case - though I have not attempted to upload the larger texture size. I still work in sculpt maps ( yes I know it's old tech but I love them!) and sculpt maps have only been working on and off. My computer meets all the requirements for this new viewer but is now making a lot of noise when I run it which it did not before. I am not sure what is at the root of this disappointing problem. I am considering switching back to the older viewer and using for as long as I can. 

• Like 5

best thing for now is just don't upgrade until forced to do so. I am sure there will be a few more updates on PBR before the non PBR viewer is locked out (or I hope so) My main concern is right now I video weddings and the PBR, as it is right now, even with tweaks and post process corrects, is really unacceptable. But I know everything changes whether we want it to or not, so I really do hope an acceptable look can be achieved before the non PBR can't be used anymore

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1