what exactly is the difference between a 'legacy' EEP and the new PBR EEP?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know there are a couple extra settings for the PBR EEP - but is that it? or are there other under the hood differences? I am asking as I have a couple hundred "legacy EEP" files I have made and if I apply those in the new PBR viewer - and other than the apparent brightness level, are they essentially the same? I noticed in the enviroment settings (this is firestorm) there is a midday and a legacy midday which is slightly more washed out and not as crisp. I am just trying to wrap my head around this since this will be the new way forward

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i posted how to get back the legacy lighting here.  From what I can see I think (but not exactly sure) that the main difference from old EEP/Windlight to new HDR/PBR is the HDR slider which when set to 0 reverts to the old Brightness slider

Edited by elleevelyn

If you look in the sky editor when creating a new sky, there's the sliders

"Reflection Probe Ambience (HDR)"

The unintuitive part is the slider underneath it - The label will change from "Brightness" to "HDR Scale" when "Reflection Probe Ambience" is set to a value greater than 0.

This is because the slider actually controls two different things depending on if it's a legacy sky or not. Newly made skies will have reflection probe ambience by default whilst legacy ones don't.

When you use reflection probe ambience you can get much richer lighting/details, because it's leaning on probes more, and you get a lot more control over the scene through probe and light placement. The side effect is that there is much less global illumination, so you have to work more on probes/lighting to get the look you want. Whereas when Reflection Probe Ambience is 0 (legacy sky) it uses global illumination more and thus things appear more 'flat' in terms of lighting but you can also get away with not lighting the scene or setting probes up more easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

If you look in the sky editor when creating a new sky, there's the sliders

"Reflection Probe Ambience (HDR)"

The unintuitive part is the slider underneath it - The label will change from "Brightness" to "HDR Scale" when "Reflection Probe Ambience" is set to a value greater than 0.

This is because the slider actually controls two different things depending on if it's a legacy sky or not. Newly made skies will have reflection probe ambience by default whilst legacy ones don't.

When you use reflection probe ambience you can get much richer lighting/details, because it's leaning on probes more, and you get a lot more control over the scene through probe and light placement. The side effect is that there is much less global illumination, so you have to work more on probes/lighting to get the look you want. Whereas when Reflection Probe Ambience is 0 (legacy sky) it uses global illumination more and thus things appear more 'flat' in terms of lighting but you can also get away with not lighting the scene or setting probes up more easily.

Most helpful comment, I bookmarked it!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok - from some experimenting with some EEP files that include new PBR and legacy of the same light it appears if I adjust the HDR (reflection probe ambience) slider and the HDR scale to the same as the PBR version the skies will be identical. So that means, for legacy EEP files if we want them to be identical in PBR, we would need to view the legacy EEP file first in a non PBR viewer and take a screen shot, then go into the PBR viewer, open the same EEP, and 'eyeball' getting it really close to the legacy EEP using the HDR slider and HDR scale slider, then save the EEP which will now be a PBR version of the legacy EEP file. Or just adjust the legacy EEP file in the PBR viewer to look decent and save it as the new PBR version

Edited by Jackson Redstar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.