iPhone 13 still selling well -- and Apple expects iPhone 14 to do even better

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's iPhone 13 is continuing to sell well months after its launch and despite a downturn in the overall smartphone market -- and the iPhone 14 could still sell even better.

iPhone 14 Pro renders
iPhone 14 Pro renders

Amid signs of a cooling global smartphone market, two sources in Apple's iPhone supply chain have told Reuters that the company's most recent handsets are still selling well in July -- months after their release.

One source said that July 2022 shipments for Apple's iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro lineup were a third higher than July 2021. That's unusual, given that iPhone sales typically slow down in the summer months prior to new models being released around September.

Analysts have also taken note of the unusual demand patterns in 2022. Back in April, JP Morgan's Samik Chatterjee told investors that the iPhone 13 was selling better than past generations -- a trend that could lead to what he calls a "structurally higher market share" for the company in 2022.

Apple itself is expecting its iPhone 14 to do better still. Reuters reported that Apple recently conveyed its higher-than-usual expectations to suppliers in initial forecasts as it carried out trial production of the company's next-generation smartphone.

Some analysts also appear to agree with Apple on this point. Well-connected TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo wrote in June that he expects the iPhone 14 to see much higher demand than the iPhone 13 in China, a critical market for Apple.

The iPhone 14 lineup is expected to bring new features to Apple's lineup, with the most dramatic updates reportedly being reserved for the iPhone 14 Pro. The high-end models are rumored to sport better cameras, always-on displays, and a new pill-and-holepunch cutout to replace the sensor notch.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I wish I knew how to use photoshop or autoCAD. That hole punch + pill design is ugly. It should just be a pill. Unified and non distracting. I swear someone had photoshopped this design before(if I can find it).

I wonder if Apple services are helping iPhone gain market share? Are all services available in China? Would be wonderful if iPhone gains %2 market share worldwide annually.

END RELEVANT POST

START SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC RANT:

The problem with Apple not gaining 70% market share again is that it’s cheaper and easier sometimes to just buy knockoffs.

Apple needs to fix Apple TV/gaming, add more Services content, allow Beats to be as big as possible, lower the price of M1 Macs or make a MacBook SE. The ecosystem just isn’t sticky enough yet. Maybe the mixed reality headset/Glasses will be the tipping point. Had Apple released the Car already and took gaming seriously 5 years ago, we’d have Japan market share (60-70%) worldwide.

• Reply 2 of 7
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,924member
    Apple expects iPhone 14 to do even better. Good for Apple's echo system but based on what differentiated tech features in iPhone 14 vs iPhone 13 that will drive higher demand for iPhone 14 ?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,977member
    Beats said:
    I wish I knew how to use photoshop or autoCAD. That hole punch + pill design is ugly. It should just be a pill. Unified and non distracting. I swear someone had photoshopped this design before(if I can find it).

I wonder if Apple services are helping iPhone gain market share? Are all services available in China? Would be wonderful if iPhone gains %2 market share worldwide annually.

END RELEVANT POST

The problem with Apple not gaining 70% market share again is that it’s cheaper and easier sometimes to just buy knockoffs.

Apple needs to fix Apple TV/gaming, add more Services content, allow Beats to be as big as possible, lower the price of M1 Macs or make a MacBook SE. The ecosystem just isn’t sticky enough yet. Maybe the mixed reality headset/Glasses will be the tipping point. Had Apple released the Car already and took gaming seriously 5 years ago, we’d have Japan market share (60-70%) worldwide.

I pretty much agree with you on the cutout aspect. A unified solution makes more sense to me but the mock looks OK to me as well. Right now, the notch is looking really dated so anything would be better, IMO. 

Of course that makes Apple a knockoff brand!  ;)

Apple priced itself out of the 70% share position so the overall situation is understandable with regards to market share but could change at any point. 

Imagine an iPhone 'services' phone that you get 'free' as long as you sign up to a host of services. Like the router with your ISP contract. 

As for the rest, that is a lot of 'ifs' and even then would not be a guarantee of anything. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 7
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

END RELEVANT POST

I pretty much agree with you on the cutout aspect. A unified solution makes more sense to me but the mock looks OK to me as well. Right now, the notch is looking really dated so anything would be better, IMO. 

Apple priced itself out of the 70% share position so the overall situation is understandable with regards to market share but could change at any point. 

Imagine an iPhone 'services' phone that you get 'free' as long as you sign up to a host of services. Like the router with your ISP contract. 

As for the rest, that is a lot of 'ifs' and even then would not be a guarantee of anything. 

Who invented the iPhone? How could an iPhone be a knockoff? That’s ridiculous.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Found a concept with a single pill.

• Reply 6 of 7
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

END RELEVANT POST

75% profit share is fine with Apple...along with 44% of revenue share.
    edited July 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:

END RELEVANT POST

75% profit share is fine with Apple...along with 44% of revenue share.

True. Apple makes most of the profit. The market share is low though. An original product should sell as much or more than knockoffs.

Apple minimum should be 50%. The problem is, Android emulates the exact same multitouch surface so Facebook for example, can have an identical app on a Huawei iPhoney. Take away apps from knockoffs and they will collapse overnight.

So Apple needs differentiators that are harder to knockoff:

Original content (Games, TV, etc.)
    Cant be apps because knockoffs have the same UI and functions.

Allow Beats to be huge
    Knockoff Beats will have barriers to be 100% Apple compatible.

MacBook SE
    Knockoffs from Samsung or the MateBook Pro cannot utilize the M1 chip.

Glasses
    Iffy because Huawei can create knockoffs and rip-off the OS so Facebook for example, can just run an identical app on the knockoff. Could be a tipping point for switchers though and I’m sure Apple will be more aggressive with protecting their software this time compared to iPad.

Apple Car
    Hard for knockoff brands to copy but not impossible. Samsung would be first to make a knockoff in this market because the have tings in place. Cars and manufacturing plants.
    See: iPhone.

Acquire big companies
    Read my Peloton comments in the Apple Insider article.  Would be brilliant. Would add to Apple One and Fitness+. Pricey acquisition but the boost in marketshare across the board will pay off.

Notice, everything I suggested is to make the ecosystem more sticky and make knockoff iPhones less enticing even when they give them away.
    edited July 2022