What is the #1 PC game?

3liseOBrien

Guest deleted156886133
Posted (edited)

If you're equating number one with best-selling PC game, as of this writing, Wikipedia lists Minecraft as number one with a total of 300 million sales across three platforms; PC, mobile and console. @HazakTheMad, Tetris ranks at number three with 100 million. However, that is just one list. Navigating over to TheGamer.com's list of Best PC Games Of All-Time, Minecraft ranks number five and Disco Elysium: The Final Cut takes the top spot. GamesRadar also lists Minecraft in the number five ranking while the number one spot goes to Dark Souls. And yet another website, TomsHardware, lists Minecraft among the 15 Best-Selling at number eight and The Sims (Original) taking the number one crown.

Confusing, right? You could probably poll 100 people on the subject and get at least 50 different responses. My point is, this is a futile subject because of it's potential to be infinitely debatable. As for the lists above, I don't give them much credit because you never know what sort of biases, invested interests or criteria came into play when compiling those lists, save for the Wikipedia list. That actually appears as if it's somewhat accurate with it's cited references.

By the way, friends don't spy on friends. I'm looking at you, Google, and you know where you can stick your ads.

Edited by UsernameWithA9

• 4 weeks later...

I just said Tetris cause I legitimately think it is the best, its fun and doesn't get stale.

Guest deleted156886133
18 minutes ago, HazakTheMad said:

I just said Tetris cause I legitimately think it is the best, its fun and doesn't get stale.

Yeah, fair enough. I wasn't trying to one-up you or anyone, for that matter. I was answering the thread author's question and also pointed out the futile nature of this thread. I didn't have anything better to do at the time. It's actually surprising more folks haven't chimed in. I'm still waiting for a mention of either Doom or Diablo. Or did those start out on console? Hell, I'll throw my vote in for Diablo, the original. I'm sure there's a desktop port.

Personally, I never could get the hang of Tetris. That game lacks an essential feature, a machine-gun to blast away blocks when they get out of control and start stacking.

• 4 weeks later...

Based on hours played, one of the best PC games is often considered to be "Counter-Strike: Global Offensive" (CS:GO). But this question is quite complicated than it looks like. There's a lot of things to be considered, there are PC games that are released way back 1987 (MUD1 & NetHack) that are still played by others until today.

2 hours ago, jonasdouglas said:

Based on hours played, one of the best PC games is often considered to be "Counter-Strike: Global Offensive" (CS:GO). But this question is quite complicated than it looks like. There's a lot of things to be considered, there are PC games that are released way back 1987 (MUD1 & NetHack) that are still played by others until today.

Yeah, you're spot on. Deciding the all-time #1 PC game based on hours played is tough. 'Counter-Strike: Global Offensive' gets a lot of love now with its huge player base. But then you've got games like 'MUD1' and 'NetHack' from way back in '87 that folks still dig today. It's a mix of what's hot right now and what sticks around for the long haul.

Boring reply but its really just whatever floats your boat. I love Souls games and Elden Ring. BG3 is my first intro to top-down RPG's and I love it. Metal Gear Solid 3 (soon to be remade) was my favourite game for a long time and the original Star Wars Battlefront 2 made me very happy when I was younger.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 6:04 PM, Deathpixel0 said:

What do you mean Number 1? lol...You got to be more specific....unless genre doesn't matter to you. When it comes to perfection, there is no such thing as a number 1 PC game. It's more of a opinion....I don't have opinions, I got facts on what games are good even great but....PC games have been around for decades.....a lot of games have been "ported" to PC which doesn't even count as a PC game because the original source is console. If I was to choose top PC games, I look to the past. Back to DOS games. Commander Keen is a GREAT PC franchise game I recommend. Hexen 1, Heretic 1 are both epic first person games.

I played the heck out of the Commander Keen games in the early-mid 90s.  And Duke Nukem 1 & 2, and Wolf 3d shareware demo.  Great times.

Edited by SirCadsimar