Converting an existing npc into a companion

I mean I'm too new to this modding thing, I don't plan to do such complex jobs and I'm just starting to learn how to create companion mods, weapon replacements, new npc, etc and I want to ask a little thing, how can you turn an existing character into a companion? For example (in case of using TTW): I want to turn Protector Casdin  into a companion after completing his mission without marking to give him a certain amount of items, does anyone know how to do that?

🙂

With some NPCs you can just edit the NPC and add the necessary packages, etc. to make them into a companion. This doesn't work for some NPCs though. Cass in FNV is particularly difficult to edit because she rarely speaks from the top level of her dialog tree, so when you add in new companion options it's difficult to get them to even show up.

What I have found the most reliable is once the NPCs quests are all completed, have the quest swap out the game's version of the NPC with your custom companion version of the NPC. Then your custom companion version of the NPC is just a companion and isn't bogged down with all of the normal in-game quests, packages, etc.

The down side of doing it this way is that if you have a mod that changes the appearance of that NPC, you need to copy over that mod's version of the NPC's appearance or they'll revert back to the vanilla game appearance when you swap out your version.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the clarification friend and I think I could try it, what obviously complicates the thing is that Casdin is an NPC from outside and not from an interior, although I could make you need to go somewhere with fast travel (or enter an interior) and then Casdin (replaced by the version that is companion, although I have to investigate how to do that first, geck is somewhat confusing and crashes a lot) would tell you that he was thinking and would accompany you perhaps in your travels in capital wasteland, he does not want to lose a valuable trader.

Edited by VellokMillion