Scripting and Help Diagnosing 100% Crash

Hi, I've been working on a quest project and during testing, I get crashes 100% of the time when a script runs from an activator. I put in Crash Logger and it gives me the same: "GAME CRASHED AT INSTRUCTION Base+0x00AC6BFE IN MODULE: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\FalloutNV.exe" for every crash.

The script for the activator reads:

scn AerieCleanupScript

short Button

Begin OnActivate
    if GetActionRef == player
        ShowMessage AerieCleanupMssg
    endif
end

begin MenuMode
    set Button to GetButtonPressed
    if Button == 0
        imod FadeToBlackISFX
        SetPCSleepHours 2
        AerieCleanupMarker.enable
        AerieActivatorFixGateREF.enable
        AerieActivatorCleanupREF.disable
        AerieStaticCleanupREF.enable
        SetStage AerieQuest 40
    elseif Button == 1
        CloseActiveMenu 1 
    endif

end

This script does what it's supposed to, but when I add this within the "if" statement, it crashes:

SetObjectiveCompleted AerieQuest 30 1
if GetObjectiveCompleted AerieQuest 40 == 0
SetObjectiveDisplayed AerieQuest 40 1
endif

If I just have this line of code without any of the other stuff, it crashes. If I only have:

SetObjectiveDisplayed AerieQuest 40 1

It crashes. I've put this code within the quest result script, and it crashes. I have stage 30 and 40 setup along with quest objectives for them. I just don't understand since the same line of code worked for the other stages.

Upon further testing, I found it was only...

that was causing the crash. The only thing I can think of to cause it is if the game isn't able to check off a quest objective if it has too many words - it was a long quest objective.

Will test to see if it's the case...

So, the crash was caused by the "too long" quest objective and not the script. It turns out there's a character limit that of course the GECK doesn't warn you about.

Bethesda doesn't believe in warnings. 😝

There are all kinds of things that cause problems and the GECK won't give you any sort of warning about what's wrong. I've often said that the GECK is really a secret Vault-Tec experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels.

• Like 2

@UndeadMartyr No the script is fine, it's the actual quest objective, i.e.: "Go here and pickup this object at X location". If the objective's too many words, the game will crash when it tries to complete it. So there's like a hardcoded limit to how long it can be. But it's something you just have to play around with. Safe bet: don't make em too long lol.