Official Recognized Specifications & Unofficial Video Chipsets Spe

Stormcrown

Can someone tell me if the following computer will be able to run Skyrim on max/ultra settings?

-Intel Core2 processor Q9650 3.0 GHZ w/ Quad Core with 12MB Cache

-Dual 1024 MB ATI Radeon 4870 with Crossfire configuration

-8GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHZ

-Windows 64 bits

-Screen Resolution 1920X1200

My concern is the dual (two cards) 1GB ATI Radeon 4870 with Crossfire configuration (not a 4870X2) will not be up to the task. I know a single 4870 would not be up to the task, but am not sure with dual cards crossfired if I would be okay at max settings.

If not, any suggestions on what graphic card would be best to upgrade to that does not break the bank with a 6970 card ($500 plus).

Thanks

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fonger, I thought the same thing when I saw 4870X2 on on the list for Very High / Extremely High settings, but upon further investigation, I learned that the Radeon HD 4870X2 is not the same as a dual Radeon 4870 with Crossfire configuration. The dual 4870 is not as powerful as the 4870X2. Thanks for taking the time to look into it. I am thinking that a dual Radeon 4870 with Crossfire configuration is not common as I have posted this on a few forums to no luck. The games will be here Friday, so I guess I will have to wait until I install it and find out.

I have an 8800GT, but I am thinking about upgrading before Friday to a geforce GTX 460. Decisions, decisions. Should I spend the extra $140? Or just hope for the best?

Absolutely not. Your 8800GT is going to bumpcrack and die some day anyway so just wait till then. Nvidia does planned obsolescence like HP they just screwed up with precisly timing it.

I did some research and it seems most of the reviews on newegg said their 8800GT died after 3 years. I've had mine for a little over 3 years, so I'm on borrowed time now. I don't want it dying on me while just starting to play Skyrim, because that's just how sh*t happens. So I decided to get the new card.

You do realize that once a manufacturer goes planned engineering obsolescence route that they are on their way to becoming the most annoying thing you can deal with. 460 GTX's are already dying. Their manufactured obsolescence relies soley on engineering the pga material and bump depths to target a cracking event after their primary dealers warranty period expires. They think they are rocket scientists but they can't make this work. Besides you can just rebake the cards over and over to to keep them going.

Also, what are the expected settings for an HD6770?

this is covered in the first post of this thread

No, it's not. I'll move to a more appropriate thread though.

Also, what are the expected settings for an HD6770?

this is covered in the first post of this thread

No, it's not.

look again

hint

the answer is inside a "spoiler"

and yes it is in the first post of this very thread