DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS™ 2

DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS™ 2

View Stats:
Should I get Dragon Quest Builders 1 before playing Dragon Quest Builders 2?
I have Dragon Quest Builders 2, but I haven't started it yet. I was wondering should I get Dragon Quest Builders 1? I haven't bought it yet.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
It really up to you if you want to buy the first one the first one is a great game harder then the second one, second game is more forgiving then the first, also I know alot about the second game alot of tricks and such.
Both are excellent RPGs in their own right with stories that rival the mainline series. I haven't had the chance to play Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince yet to evaluate its story, but the two DQB games easily surpass the two Heroes games and Treasures when it comes to story.

If you think you'd want to experience both stories, then playing the first game before second is what I would advise. The second is easier and adds many features that make the first game not as great for building, or showing off what you built to others.

If you don't care so much about story then sticking with just DQB2 is fine as its the superior building sandbox game.

As I've seen it, almost all players who play DQB1 first and enjoy it, also enjoy DQB2, with a few exceptions in regards to being too easy or too far removed the DQ2 backstory after DQB1 held so tight to DQ1's story. But some players who played DQB2 first and then go back to try DQB1 didn't like it either becuase of its challenge, absence of certain features that were added in the second, or other game mechanics.

Feel free to ask more questions if you're still on the fence about which path to take.
2 is amazing actually. skip 1 but also what is with this enormous price for an older game, i understand if they gave us 3 already tho
You don't need to play the first one to enjoy this. This one is superior in every way.
Originally posted by ZerooSkilTTV:
2 is amazing actually. skip 1 but also what is with this enormous price for an older game, i understand if they gave us 3 already tho
it goes on sale steady on humble.
aki-cat 21 Jun @ 4:50am 
If you want to enjoy the story, there is no option to play only 2.
2 is the sequel to 1, and there are many things in 2 that you won't understand without knowing the story of 1.
Unless you have little interest in the story, I strongly recommend playing from 1 in order.

Also, 1 has better pacing than 2 and can be completed in a shorter time.
I think it's a good idea to try 1 first and, if you find it suits you, then move on to 2.

The issue of 1 being more difficult has been significantly resolved in the Steam version compared to the PS4 version, so there is no need for major concern.
I just bought Dragon Quest Builders 1, I will play that first.
Icedfate 24 Jun @ 10:10am 
"dragon quest monsters : the dark prince"?!
I was completely unaware of this title. currently on switch, are there any plans for it to come to steam? I would break my rule of never paying full price for a game to get that game on steam. .

but i digressed, i'm actually in here to find out if DQ builders 1 is worth playing. is it a direct prequel to DQB2 or is it an entirely different story?
if the gameplay is the same, with mining blocks and building structures, then why play that one when we have part 2?

is the story good?
Originally posted by Icedfate:
"dragon quest monsters : the dark prince"?!
I was completely unaware of this title. currently on switch, are there any plans for it to come to steam? I would break my rule of never paying full price for a game to get that game on steam. .

but i digressed, i'm actually in here to find out if DQ builders 1 is worth playing. is it a direct prequel to DQB2 or is it an entirely different story?
if the gameplay is the same, with mining blocks and building structures, then why play that one when we have part 2?

is the story good?

As far as I know Dragon Quest Monsters has always been Nintendo exclusive, except for the PS1 which got Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2: Hoshiori no Yuusha to Bokujou no Nakamatachi Japan only.

There is no news about Dragon Quest Monsters : The Dark Prince coming to Steam.
Icedfate 24 Jun @ 10:57am 
yeah, squix has ported literally everything over to steam. ..except DQM and that annoys me so much. like what is so special about that spinoff series that Nintendo has them locked into an ironclad exclusivity deal?
lilisaur 24 Jun @ 11:23am 
The Dark Prince may just be a timed exclusive. Treasures was expected to be exclusive as well and then suddenly came to Steam with no heads up. (They didn't give much of a heads up for DQB2 or DQB1 either.) Dark Prince released after SquareEnix's realignment to prioritze wide platform distribution over exclusives, so bringing it to other platforms, at least PC, seems likely.

It took about 7 months for Treasures to make the transition (December 9, 2022 -> July 14, 2023) so if pattern holds, The Dark Prince could be arriving soon. (December 1, 2023 -> July 6, 2024 would be same turnaround time.)

Just becuase it hasn't been announced doesn't mean it doesn't happen soon. SquareEnix gave zero heads up that Treasures was coming to Steam, and only gave about 2 weeks notice on DQB1 and DQB2. With the HD-2D remake making headlines, SquareEnix might not want to overshadow it with a release date announcement, and might similarly just shadowdrop it one day. They just did Kingdom Hearts series in June, and have Visions of Mana August 29, Romancing SaGa 2 Remake October 24, Dragon Quest III HD-2D November 14, and Fantasian in early-to-mid December so if they're going to do it, July or late September seem to make a lot more sense than other months.
Last edited by lilisaur; 24 Jun @ 11:24am
Originally posted by aki-cat:
If you want to enjoy the story, there is no option to play only 2.
2 is the sequel to 1, and there are many things in 2 that you won't understand without knowing the story of 1.
Unless you have little interest in the story, I strongly recommend playing from 1 in order.

Also, 1 has better pacing than 2 and can be completed in a shorter time.
I think it's a good idea to try 1 first and, if you find it suits you, then move on to 2.

The issue of 1 being more difficult has been significantly resolved in the Steam version compared to the PS4 version, so there is no need for major concern.
i disagree 2 was perfectly well explained on its own
lilisaur 26 Jun @ 5:45am 
Concur.

There's a couple of spots where you might get the "Aha!" moment of making a connection to DQB1 characters or events but these are easter egg quality and have no bearing on the DQB2 story. And there's only a couple of these connections, not "many things"
Some may say this one is better than DQB1 because it "builds" on most aspects and improves them, but I beg to differ. Having played DQB2 on console recently, and re-playing and beating DQB1 again on Steam, I prefer the charm, personality, and characters of 1 more than 2. I also think it's more challenging (though neither game is particularly difficult), and the story is more focused. DQB2 honestly felt a bit bloated at times.

2 isn't really a sequel. I personally recommend playing 1 first. 2 has more depth and monster taming, which is cool, and you don't restart progress between chapters (something I honestly didn't mind in DQB1-it was done well). My biggest gripe with DQB2 is they go out of their way to make building too trivial and removing the need to find materials (which is part of the fun) by making materials become free by finishing exploration islands. I kinda hated that... it made it feel like Creative Mode in MC, and it sucked the fun right out.

Also, definitely play DQB1 on Steam... the "speed run" challenges from the PS4 edition, where you had to beat each chapter in a certain amount of days, were removed in favor of a more fitting challenge where you'd need to discover a certain amount of items instead, so now you don't have to stress about time.
Last edited by nateraade; 13 Jul @ 3:07pm
lilisaur 13 Jul @ 7:20pm 
I dunno about speedrun challenges replaced with "more fitting challenge" of discovering items. The speedruns promoted replay, the item discovery does not. Its only a 65-70% threshold of the items in each chapter needed to clear, so its far too easy - almost to the point of not really being a challenge at all, just simple "there" to fill space. It was ok to replace with something a bit easier, especialyl something that didn't force a player to rush, but what they gave us was almost trivially easy as the game requires you to collect 45-55% in each chapter anyway. It maybe boils down to 5-10 minutes of extra work each chapter. If they'd set the collection threshold to 90%, that would be been tolerable.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Per page: 1530 50