Project Zomboid

Project Zomboid

Is Zombie Culling Getting Addressed In Build 42?
I know it was being considered, but I'm not sure if it's been confirmed yet.

For those who don't know what I mean, I am talking about when you are being chased by a massive crowd of zombies, and nearly all of them de-spawn when you turn around.

This is apparently a feature, not a bug to keep the game's performance where it should be, but it really hurts the experience.

Is there any word on how this is being handled? If it was in an update somewhere, I think I might have missed it.

(Edited title for clarity)
Last edited by Spooky Net Fiend; 1 Aug @ 12:50pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
According to the blogposts, multiplayer features are getting improved as well. But I don't remember the culling being mentioned specifically.
Originally posted by Armagenesis:
According to the blogposts, multiplayer features are getting improved as well. But I don't remember the culling being mentioned specifically.

Thank you for the response. I made a thread maybe a year and a half ago, and if I recall correctly, I got a dev response saying that they were considering revising this mechanic in build 42. But I don't recall it ever being confirmed.
μ 31 Jul @ 9:56pm 
Please do revise this mechanic, this was how i died and it's considered a bug in my opinion. :expression4:

The workaround is to make loud noise and they would magically spawn around you but it's kinda weird, you thought the area was cleared? NO they were just invisible. *bites*
Last edited by μ; 31 Jul @ 9:58pm
Pretty sure there's a mod that removes that. I almost died in my MP world because of it, an entire horde spawned on my butt when I was repairing a window.
Originally posted by μ:
Please do revise this mechanic, this was how i died and it's considered a bug in my opinion. :expression4:

The workaround is to make loud noise and they would magically spawn around you but it's kinda weird, you thought the area was cleared? NO they were just invisible. *bites*

Well that is what it does. It respawns the local area, and repopulates the elsewhere near by to preserve the frame rate
Originally posted by AMAZING PAPERBOY DELIVERS!:
Pretty sure there's a mod that removes that. I almost died in my MP world because of it, an entire horde spawned on my butt when I was repairing a window.
The current limit of near by zombies is 500 I think. That mod removes the cap, and stops the de-spawns. Yes there is a mod to prevent it
What's actually the trigger for the despawn to happen?
Is it RAM or CPU usage?
B42 brings a rework of the rendering to increase framerate, so that should allow for more zeds without crippling performance.
The despawn exists for a reason I'm pretty sure, it wasn't just a case of feeling silly by the developers. Not sure how zombies vanishing can kill someone either. I've had them disappear myself of course, I'm sure we all have as the conditions to trigger it are straightforward. Never seemed that big a deal to me. Having a horde chasing you just get endlessly bigger and bigger feels like a great way to break things.
H4xX 1 Aug @ 3:20am 
Turn off the redistribution of zombies. I haven't had any zombies disappear or appear in singleplayer since I turned that off.

And while you're at it, disable that if 3+ zombies are next to you that you instantly die. In multiplayer this can kill you out of nowhere with a ping spike, especially with many zombies around.
Last edited by H4xX; 1 Aug @ 3:25am
Aragon 1 Aug @ 3:20am 
As far as I know the zombies don't despawn, they are simply reset to their last known position.
The devs behind the mod that removes the zombie despawns have pointed out that the number of zombies is not what causes instability in MP, and I've also found that to be the case.

I've played on high and very high zombie pop servers and while absolutely massive hordes do cause a drop in FPS, they're not the source of major problems in MP.

I certainly hope this problem gets fixed in B42, because it's frustrating to have to clear the exact same area 3+ times because the server poofs away the hordes you're actively trying to take care of.
Isn't the despawning or 'poofing' zombies supposed to help with lag or prevent crashes? I assumed this is deliberate.
Originally posted by Sceadugengan:
What's actually the trigger for the despawn to happen?
Is it RAM or CPU usage?
B42 brings a rework of the rendering to increase framerate, so that should allow for more zeds without crippling performance.

So from an update I read a while back, and the way my infant mind understood it,

This game has an incompatibility with modern rendering techniques used by most modern graphics cards. As a result, every single time a tile in being interacted with by zombies (or anything), the game has to re-render that entire tile.

As a result, even good graphics cards suffer strain, so this happens to keep decent frame. I believe it is caused by a limit of Zombies. 500 in the area.
Aragon 1 Aug @ 5:21am 
Originally posted by Good Night Owl:
As a result, even good graphics cards suffer strain, so this happens to keep decent frame. I believe it is caused by a limit of Zombies. 500 in the area.

That sounds reasonable - then one can hope that this problem will be addressed in B42.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 31 Jul @ 3:35pm