BioGun
Excited for this but reluctant due to steam deck compatibility
Seems like there is so much variety when ut comes to how this game does on deck, will the full release have had any improvements for deck compatibility? I’d like to get this asap.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Dapper Dog  [developer] 30 Jul @ 7:22pm 
Originally posted by erwinanfire:
Seems like there is so much variety when ut comes to how this game does on deck, will the full release have had any improvements for deck compatibility? I’d like to get this asap.
Short answer is no improvements. I will be posting the longer answer and pinning it to the top. Essentially we confirmed what we feared the most when speaking with Valve/Steam Support and essentially it comes down to the our engine and the runtime it exports in (NW.js) does not work well with Steam Deck architecture. It doubles the ram usage and overall performs underwhelmingly at 40fps. No amount of optimization will fix this sadly. The only thing that we can do is port the base game code to another language but I don't see that happening unless the game is successful enoug.

I think some players dont mind the 40fps while others really do. And I am sure there are other little factors inbetween. Either way, it really sucks as this is something we don't have control over and I am sure the most will assume that the game on steam deck is "un-optimized". We just have to hope for the best in the mean time. :)
erwinanfire 30 Jul @ 7:58pm 
Thanks for your answer, I don’t at all mind the 40 fps as I grew up playing way less than that. So if that’s the only issue I would be happy with the purchase. In fact I have gifted the game to an others but I only have a steam deck for myself.
So is that the only issue? It only hits 40 fps? If it’s a constant 40 that’s completely fine.
I don't mind the 40FPS at all. In fact I have my OLED deck locked to that to keep battery at a normal level. I just need cloud sync enabled and I'll be a happy camper.
Dapper Dog  [developer] 31 Jul @ 2:05pm 
Originally posted by popwar318:
So is that the only issue? It only hits 40 fps? If it’s a constant 40 that’s completely fine.
It does stutter here and there but it seems to be all over the place for everyone. Some report not stutter, others report lots of stuttering. I am not sure if the stutter is tied to memory or some other factor that we aren't aware of.
erwinanfire 31 Jul @ 6:27pm 
I do hope the best for you and have gifted the game to 3 people since launch to help support but they’re all pc players. I will likely give it a go myself, it has been high on my wishlist.
Dapper Dog  [developer] 31 Jul @ 11:56pm 
Originally posted by erwinanfire:
I do hope the best for you and have gifted the game to 3 people since launch to help support but they’re all pc players. I will likely give it a go myself, it has been high on my wishlist.
Wow! That is VERY kind of you. Thank you so much for spreading the word. <3
I tell you I have been watching this game and following your posts in the sub Reddit for a long time. I hope the deck issues are worked out soon and congrats ion your launch!
JusSn 1 Aug @ 10:39am 
Originally posted by smacky777:
I don't mind the 40FPS at all. In fact I have my OLED deck locked to that to keep battery at a normal level. I just need cloud sync enabled and I'll be a happy camper.
Cloud sync is one of those weird steam hosted things.. where games even as big as Dead Cells can have pockets of people who struggle to get their steam cloud to work right...
I will say anecdotally that Steam Cloud did work for me and I was able to play my file back and forth between PC and steamdeck last night :Noodler:
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50