BioGun
Doesn't work on Steam Deck for me
With default Proton it's playable but there's no audio.
With both GE and Experimental Audio works but the game freezes on loading screen into the menu.

Unplayable at the moment.
Last edited by St0rmwielder; 1 Aug @ 12:17pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Dapper Dog  [developer] 23 Jul @ 2:13am 
Originally posted by St0rmwielder:
With both GE and Experimental Audio works but the game freezes on loading screen into the menu.

Our have several steam deck users including myself that run the game fine. Make sure you have enough memory left in storage or else you'll run into issues such as these. Hope that helps!
Originally posted by Dapper Dog:

Our have several steam deck users including myself that run the game fine. Make sure you have enough memory left in storage or else you'll run into issues such as these. Hope that helps!

I have more than enough space. (+-150GB free after install).
The game runs in default proton as I said. I can play it but there is no audio. Checked on my audio settings, tried other games but only Biogun had no Audio.
Reinstalled, no change.
Refunded it but will give it another chance when it releases.
Dapper Dog  [developer] 24 Jul @ 9:46am 

I have more than enough space. (+-150GB free after install).
The game runs in default proton as I said. I can play it but there is no audio. Checked on my audio settings, tried other games but only Biogun had no Audio.
Reinstalled, no change.
Refunded it but will give it another chance when it releases.
How odd... We do export a native Linux version. No need to run it through Proton.
smacky777 31 Jul @ 12:24pm 
Major bummer, can't get it to work on my deck. Just sits at a NW.JS page on the screen.
Will re-purchase and try again tomorrow. I saw there was a patch. Will report back once I tried.
Dapper Dog  [developer] 31 Jul @ 2:09pm 
Some are reporting the patch has fixed this. Can either of you confirm after a restart or reinstall that it is fixed for you?
I've reinstalled the game on steam deck just now and I am brought to a black screen where nothing happens when i click on "Play" from my library
Woohoo!! Works for me now on my OLED deck. No re-install, just launched and good to go.
Some are reporting the patch has fixed this. Can either of you confirm after a restart or reinstall that it is fixed for you?

Same issue as before. Launched out of the box with default settings/proton it runs(fully playable) but has no audio.
Launched with experimental I get the audio but it freezes after the launch screen.

I tried it once on the SD and once on the SSD. Both with the exact same result. No audio. This only happens with Biogun.
Dapper Dog  [developer] 1 Aug @ 5:33am 

Same issue as before. Launched out of the box with default settings/proton it runs(fully playable) but has no audio.
Launched with experimental I get the audio but it freezes after the launch screen.

I tried it once on the SD and once on the SSD. Both with the exact same result. No audio. This only happens with Biogun.
I wish I could help more. I don't have Linux knowledge. I export the game for Linux but I don't have ways to test it. Im not sure what proton is or if that is something you need to have instead of launching it through steam natively since there is a linux version. Im defintely out of my depth here.

I wish I could help more. I don't have Linux knowledge. I export the game for Linux but I don't have ways to test it. Im not sure what proton is or if that is something you need to have instead of launching it through steam natively since there is a linux version. Im defintely out of my depth here.

Running it natively means that it runs on Proton 9.02 which emulates Windows. That often can cause a game that is not verified to just crash or refuse to launch. That's where Proton Experimental helps as it can launch most games that have issues otherwise. It seems Biogun does not have that issue as it both launches and runs fine natively. It's rly just the audio that is missing completely which is weird as everything else seems to work. Launching in Experimental: I have audio but it freezes while loading into the menu. That's as much info I can provide as I'm not a dev. Maybe it still can be helpful to pinpoint the issue.

But I understand, the game is not verified and it seems that no thought has been put into to make it run on the Deck so I can't expect it to run. It's a shame cause it's exactly the type of game people LOVE playing on a Steam Deck. Sadly i don't seem to be the target audience but i guess that's just how it is. Really sorry as I'm a huge fan of indie games/devs and Metroidvania/platformers but if it doesn't work, there's no point in keeping it in my library. Still hope that one day you manage to make it work. Could also be helpful reaching out to other indie devs and ask them how they did it.
JusSn 1 Aug @ 5:51am 
Originally posted by smacky777:
Major bummer, can't get it to work on my deck. Just sits at a NW.JS page on the screen.
This was an issue within the first hour of release; but it was resolved yesterday!! feel free to give it another try :D
JusSn 1 Aug @ 5:56am 

Running it natively means that it runs on Proton 9.02 which emulates Windows. That often can cause a game that is not verified to just crash or refuse to launch. That's where Proton Experimental helps as it can launch most games that have issues otherwise. It seems Biogun does not have that issue as it both launches and runs fine natively. It's rly just the audio that is missing completely which is weird as everything else seems to work. Launching in Experimental: I have audio but it freezes while loading into the menu. That's as much info I can provide as I'm not a dev. Maybe it still can be helpful to pinpoint the issue.

But I understand, the game is not verified and it seems that no thought has been put into to make it run on the Deck so I can't expect it to run. It's a shame cause it's exactly the type of game people LOVE playing on a Steam Deck. Sadly i don't seem to be the target audience but i guess that's just how it is. Really sorry as I'm a huge fan of indie games/devs and Metroidvania/platformers but if it doesn't work, there's no point in keeping it in my library. Still hope that one day you manage to make it work. Could also be helpful reaching out to other indie devs and ask them how they did it.

Certainly seems like you overcomplicated things for yourself; literally all it takes is buying the game and installing it in its native format.. there have been several games I've seen that weren't built for linux and required proton to run, but BioGun isn't like that. I just install it exactly how steam wants to install it and it runs just fine. Quite harsh to criticize the game in terms of "I love metroidvanias but its not made for me"... the game runs without any special proton versioning. No use complaining and giving poor review if you don't want to aid the game in succeeding :tobdog:
Originally posted by JusSn:

Certainly seems like you overcomplicated things for yourself; literally all it takes is buying the game and installing it in its native format.. there have been several games I've seen that weren't built for linux and required proton to run, but BioGun isn't like that. I just install it exactly how steam wants to install it and it runs just fine. Quite harsh to criticize the game in terms of "I love metroidvanias but its not made for me"... the game runs without any special proton versioning. No use complaining and giving poor review if you don't want to aid the game in succeeding :tobdog:

Except it doesn't run for me out of the box as described. Not during early access, not now in 1.0 either. It's playable but there's no audio, as described. And I think it's good to try different things to make sure that it's not a hardware issue on my end and to gather as much info as possible to share with the community and developer. Dev clearly stated that he has no experience with Steam Deck porting and SteamOS. That's fair and I hold no grudge against it but that also means that the game is not for me as i play pretty much every Metroidvania and other indies on the Steam Deck. It's a preference, sure. But Biogun technically can run on it too so i'm just here trying to provide info and share issues in hope one of the devs may have an idea about what is not working.

No need to get cocky. I'm not criticizing. If I was I would have posted a negative review already. I just think that this game is so close to working on the Deck that I'm just being vocal about in hope sth may be done about it.

It's also a big opportunity for the devs to sell more copies as not only me, but many more players enjoy these games on a handheld.

Also, my posted info is a conversation between the developer and someone who purchased their product. Adding your 5 cents has not been requested.
JusSn 1 Aug @ 6:39am 
Originally posted by JusSn:

Except it doesn't run for me out of the box as described. Not during early access, not now in 1.0 either. It's playable but there's no audio, as described. And I think it's good to try different things to make sure that it's not a hardware issue on my end and to gather as much info as possible to share with the community and developer. Dev clearly stated that he has no experience with Steam Deck porting and SteamOS. That's fair and I hold no grudge against it but that also means that the game is not for me as i play pretty much every Metroidvania and other indies on the Steam Deck. It's a preference, sure. But Biogun technically can run on it too so i'm just here trying to provide info and share issues in hope one of the devs may have an idea about what is not working.

No need to get cocky. I'm not criticizing. If I was I would have posted a negative review already. I just think that this game is so close to working on the Deck that I'm just being vocal about in hope sth may be done about it.

It's also a big opportunity for the devs to sell more copies as not only me, but many more players enjoy these games on a handheld.

Also, my posted info is a conversation between the developer and someone who purchased their product. Adding your 5 cents has not been requested.

I agree with you there that having it available for steamdeck helps the success of the game.. but just because it doesn't work for you does not mean it wasn't made for you.
Many Many people have been able to successfully enjoy the game on steamdeck..
I even beat the game in EA on my steamdeck, and then I beat it on my steamdeck in 1.0 as well.. game works great

What I'm saying is even though you are trying to give your experience to help the devs, making blanket statements in the discussions like "It doesn't work on steamdeck" is anecdotal and harms the overall health of the game because now people will take your singular experience and assume that it won't work for them, when it obviously can

If you want to engage in problem solving and aiding the dev, join the discord and chat with him there, don't deter the steam community while you sit there half informed :sans:
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Per page: 1530 50