Microsoft Flight Simulator

Microsoft Flight Simulator

View Stats:
Recommended specs realistic?
I'm just starting to look for a new box to run this sim. Microsoft's recommended specs are an Intel i5-8400/AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, 16 G RAM, and a NVIDIA GTX 970/AMD Radeon RX 590. Is this even remotely close to what you really need? I've been told that even an Intel i7 would not be adequate, even though it exceeds the recommendation. I'm not looking for ultra performance...I'm happy with no stuttering. I'll be using a single monitor, no interest in VR. I'm seeing a lot of gaming PCs for under $1,000 that exceed all the recommended specs. Is that just not realistic? Thanks for your assistance.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Narf 3 Sep @ 2:38pm 
To start with, "intel i7" says absolutely nothing as there is a lightyear of difference between a 4th gen 4700 and a 14th gen 14700k. I certainly wouldn't trust the former to run the game decently at very high settings, but the latter absolutely will. So without specifying at least the generation you are talking about, the answer to whether an i7 is good enough is a "definitive maybe".

The recommended setup is certainly aiming a bit low. I would hazard a guess that a rig with those specifications would struggle to keep 30fps consistently at medium graphics settings and a lot of calculation-intensive stuff like traffic and photogrammetry turned off.

If I had to make a 1000$ build I'd trust to run MSFS at high settings, 1080p, and keep somewhat reliably above 60fps (unless in photogrammetry cities, then all bets are off for ANY hardware) it'd probably look like this:
Ryzen 7 5700X3D, MSI B550M Pro-VDH, Arctic Freezer 36 or a similar good budget cooler, 2x16GB DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM (e.g. g.Skill RipJaws V), beQuiet Pure Power 12M 850W PSU, 2x2TB M.2 NVMe SSD storage (e.g. WD Blue SN580), plus whatever decent <100$ budget case appeals to me visually.

At the current prices that would land me pretty much bang-on at 1000$ without taxes. So yes, a 1000$ build than can run the sim well is realistic. I have not included periphery items like keyboards, mouse or a monitor, as well as the windows license in the calculation as people usually have those lying around from the PC they are replacing or can source them for very cheap second hand in their area.
Narf 3 Sep @ 7:06pm 
That is a really bad idea in several kinds of way:
1) That PC does not have a dedicated graphics card, and is thus not suitable for anything but the simplest games. Think browser games rather than MSFS.
2) That also means that the PSU is undersized for if you want to install a graphics card, if that is even possible because:
3) That is an OEM workplace computer. That means that most likely from my own experience with Dell that a bunch of hardware will not be custommade and not be easily exchangeable with standard parts. I've had a lot of Dell PCs at work, and things like their PSU or their mainboard will be special stuff that you cannot easily replace and often will not work with any other hardware but the one Dell made for this model. The UEFI is also quite likely to not accept new hardware and/or be missing features and options that any normal standard UEFI offers.
4) Even if you manage to get that thing to accept and power a dedicated graphics card, that case is not made to handle the thermal load of an hours-long gaming session. I doubt this has more than a small fan aft, maybe another small fan forward. I wouldn't trust two 80mm fans to shovel that amount of air for hours, day after day.
5) Using an external SSD to install games on is a bad idea because that'll put a lot of traffic on the USB controller and might cause it to overload, which can cause heavy lag or even make other USB devices unusable.
6) For this price, this is really crappy hardware.

Long story short, leave workplace OEM computers where they belong: at the workplace, handling MS Excel and Teams, and use a gaming computer for gaming.

Dell does of course have a gaming brand, Alienware, but they're incredibly overpriced for what they're offering.
Good point about it not having a dedicated graphics card. I'll make sure to avoid that.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50