Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

View Stats:
Shawn 14 May @ 6:06pm
Here's how you can rollback the latest update
I can confirm the latest update added Enigma and Obsidium to the game.

Executable before the update[i.imgur.com]
Executable after the update[i.imgur.com]

If you already updated and want to rollback the update here's the steps you can follow:

1. Open the Steam console by typing steam://open/console in your browser
  2. Type in the following command and wait until it's downloaded:
    download_depot 1277400 1277401 8329965276159173541 7632854251909063743
  3. Find the downloaded files in \STEAMFOLDER\steamapps\content\app_1277400\depot_1277401
  4. Copy everything inside to your regular game install
  5. Find your app manifest file and set it as read only, it will be located in the Steam library folder of the same drive your game is installed, it will be named appmanifest_1277400.acf
  6. Every time you want to play, go offline in Steam to prevent updates

Alternatively you can follow these steps, however, it will require a full download:

1. Open the Steam console
  2. Type in the following command and wait until it's downloaded, this will download the whole game:
    download_depot 1277400 1277401 8329965276159173541
  3. Go to your regular game install and delete everything inside, do not uninstall from Steam
  4. Find the downloaded files in \STEAMFOLDER\steamapps\content\app_1277400\depot_1277401
  5. Move the files you downloaded through the console into the newly empty game folder
  6. Find your app manifest file and set it as read only, it will be located in the Steam library folder of the same drive your game is installed, it will be named appmanifest_1277400.acf
  7. Every time you want to play, go offline in Steam to prevent updates

And remember: if you want to stop companies from doing this, vote with your wallet and DON'T BUY THEIR GAMES
Last edited by Shawn; 14 May @ 6:11pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Ezplorer 15 May @ 10:38am 
Thanks!
Absolute scumbags.

Thank you!
Alva 17 May @ 3:53pm 
Thank you so much for your help!
Mythily 18 May @ 3:42am 
Thank god I finished the game earlier this year. This behavior is not looking good for any future games though. Not like they already showed it in DD2...
Last edited by Mythily; 18 May @ 3:42am
Shawn 18 May @ 4:41am 
Originally posted by Mythily:
Thank god I finished the game earlier this year. This behavior is not looking good for any future games though. Not like they already showed it in DD2...
It sucks so much because CAPCOM's games are honestly good and I'm looking forward to Monster Hunter Wilds, but I can't support this predatory behaviour. I want to own the games I buy and not have it tied to some shady Russian DRM that will probably shutdown in 5 years...
it forced auto updated on me just now!
So I wasted money since I didnt even install the game yet. Great. Thanks for info.
zzzz 14 Jun @ 10:49am 
Does this still work? If we just re downloaded?
Shawn 14 Jun @ 5:07pm 
Originally posted by zzzz:
You can download the game and do the first method, or directly do the second one. Doesn't matter either way
zzzz 15 Jun @ 6:57am 
Originally posted by Shawn:
You can download the game and do the first method, or directly do the second one. Doesn't matter either way

Thanks Shawn, not sure issue I'm running into, I tried both, and it starts to launch then auto closes itself. Launching only after steam is in offline mode. Going to full delete/uninstall then reinstall and see if I can get first method going again.
Deadkold 15 Jun @ 12:32pm 
what's the drama going on?
Shawn 16 Jun @ 2:25am 

Thanks Shawn, not sure issue I'm running into, I tried both, and it starts to launch then auto closes itself. Launching only after steam is in offline mode. Going to full delete/uninstall then reinstall and see if I can get first method going again.

Try installing the game normally first, and then overwrite the files with the first method. If that doesn't work, I'll look into it and possibly make a more visual guide with screenshots and a video. The good thing is that this way of downgrading Steam games is universal, it will work with pretty much any game where you can download old depots.
zzzz 17 Jun @ 12:07pm 

Try installing the game normally first, and then overwrite the files with the first method. If that doesn't work, I'll look into it and possibly make a more visual guide with screenshots and a video. The good thing is that this way of downgrading Steam games is universal, it will work with pretty much any game where you can download old depots.

Thanks again, but it's ok you don't have to for just me. I've tried about 5 times now, and every route/method gives me the same issue. Everything works then I go to start it offline, the window for the game comes up, then it vanishes and the game never launches. I'm wondering if it's a steam cloud issue or something along those lines at this point. I hadn't played this game on newer pc so could be a ton of issues.
DEADHEAD 17 Jun @ 5:47pm 
Originally posted by Mythily:
It sucks so much because CAPCOM's games are honestly good and I'm looking forward to Monster Hunter Wilds, but I can't support this predatory behaviour. I want to own the games I buy and not have it tied to some shady Russian DRM that will probably shutdown in 5 years...

Not that i like all this DRM thing but if the problem is owning the game you buy, why do you buy it on steam? I mean, steam is dominant but it follows the same logic. Someday, it may shutdown and you will lose your game even if unlikely now.
Not working for me, game launch till the window with the black screen, then close and the game stop by itself.
Last edited by Drakeyonth; 5 Jul @ 10:05am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50