DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition

View Stats:
Anyone has a mod of the original XI difficulty?
For example MonaLisa boss had 3 turns, here only 2... was such an exciting boss fight. Anyone has a mod that transport that difficulty here?
Last edited by MahouKurein; 24 Jun @ 8:30pm
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Was this game more difficult in the past? I really enjoyed it but partly it seemed to be a little bit like a telltale-adventure. ;-) You can avoid many fights if you want and the only time my team got beaten was against the cursed Jade. All the other fights including the boss-fights I could master with the first try. The first time ONE member kissed the ground at least (besides one lucky punch of that strange Mozzarella-enemy in Ticklington) was against the Kraken - the first really challenging fight. The common enemies in the landscape never had a quantum of a chance against me and I hardly needed items. There I can understand that they also offer auto-combat but I never used that option. Even the early boss-fights not what I was looking for in the end; just later it gets more tactical and starts to be more or less a challenge. OK, maybe I fought too many fights instead of avoiding them and so made too fast progress with the party, am too experienced with such games and always provided my party-members with good equipment but still... Deep story and feelings and for me surprisingly cute style but the combat-part could have been a little bit more challenging I have to say after all. The additional challenge-modes are not a good substitute for that I find and some rare situations are suddenly very hard then like the Kraken.
Last edited by Pessimus Prime; 24 Jun @ 3:55pm
Jean 24 Jun @ 6:43pm 
Originally posted by MahouKurein:
For example Mona Lisa boss had 3 turns, here only 2... was such an exciting boss fight. Anyone has a mod that transport that difficulty here?
I would suggest trying hard monsters if you want it more difficult? I originally played the first version that way and the bosses having 3 turns is the least of your problems LMAO

It could be that you overleveled by accidnent and wound up that much faster, though.
Jean 24 Jun @ 6:44pm 
Originally posted by Pessimus Prime:
Was this game more difficult in the past? I really enjoyed it but partly it seemed to be a little bit like a telltale-adventure. ;-) You can avoid many fights if you want and the only time my team got beaten was against the cursed Jade. All the other fights including the boss-fights I could master with the first try. The first time ONE member kissed the ground at least (besides one lucky punch of that strange Mozzarella-enemy in Ticklington) was against the Kraken - the first really challenging fight. The common enemies in the landscape never had a quantum of a chance against me and I hardly needed items. There I can understand that they also offer auto-combat but I never used that option. Even the early boss-fights not what I was looking for in the end; just later it gets more tactical and starts to be more or less a challenge. OK, maybe I fought too many fights instead of avoiding them and so made too fast progress with the party, am too experienced with such games and always provided my party-members with good equipment but still... Deep story and feelings and for me surprisingly cute style but the combat-part could have been a little bit more challenging I have to say after all. The additional challenge-modes are not a good substitute for that I find and some rare situations are suddenly very hard then like the Kraken.
I mean. Hard monsters makes the game a challenge. JUST turning that on makes the game actually hard, I played the original that way and a few bosses were actual walls/I felt the need to grind here and there. So saying the game is too easy for the most part when you are able to make it harder is a bit strange..
I found a good combination in terms of difficulty with "Low to none exp from weaker monsters" (so I wouldn't overlevel) + "Stronger enemies", having equip+2/3 was really good and the whole experience felt really rewarding. I just had hoped the game would stick to the original level of difficulty, which was harder.
Super hard monsters and less xp from weak monsters draconion quests enabled and i found it fairly challenging.
Jean 27 Jun @ 5:11pm 
I found a good combination in terms of difficulty with "Low to none exp from weaker monsters" (so I wouldn't overlevel) + "Stronger enemies", having equip+2/3 was really good and the whole experience felt really rewarding. I just had hoped the game would stick to the original level of difficulty, which was harder.
So even on hard the painting boss had less turns than the original version? I guess there must have been enough complaints that she was a bit too hard (I would agree she was on strong monsters, that boss was insanely difficult there even with a lot of grinding and charm protection)
We shouldnt have to use fake difficulty modifiers to make the game a better rpg. game is too easy and I am also finding it insufferable.
Originally posted by gayass lizard:
So even on hard the painting boss had less turns than the original version? I guess there must have been enough complaints that she was a bit too hard (I would agree she was on strong monsters, that boss was insanely difficult there even with a lot of grinding and charm protection)
Yep, if I remember correctly she now has 2 turns instead of 3!
Originally posted by gayass lizard:
I mean. Hard monsters makes the game a challenge. JUST turning that on makes the game actually hard, I played the original that way and a few bosses were actual walls/I felt the need to grind here and there. So saying the game is too easy for the most part when you are able to make it harder is a bit strange..
There is no classic selection like easy, medium or hard and so I trustfully just started the game in standard-mode and expected a more or less even challenge. If I realise hours later that its in general too easy for me I really do not feel the lust to restart completely with these special settings. At least they should allow then to activate them in an already started adventure...
Aside from that I said that there are some rare situations where it suddenly IS hard - and then you maybe cannot pass them with these special settings on...

As I said: Immersive story and generally a good game but regarding the combat-challenge games like Lords of Xulima or The Bards Tale 4 could convince me more.
Last edited by Pessimus Prime; 1 Jul @ 5:17pm
Originally posted by jamie havok:
Super hard monsters and less xp from weak monsters draconion quests enabled and i found it fairly challenging.

The problem is that, once you start the game, you don't know what awaits you. This is my first DQ game in decades and I had no idea if I'll get stomped or not. 10-15 hours in I slowly got the realization that the base game is way too easy. I was hoping that it picks up a bit doe and stopped killing monsters so they *catch up* on me. But even then...after 30 hours Ive realized that i've done goofed, as some would say. And I can't enable the stronger monsters or the xp stuff retroactively

I'd have to start from 0 and to be honest, as good as the game is, that's something I don't wanna do immediately now. Maybe later...who knows. But for now i'm "stuck" in a game that doesn't challenge me at all.

So yeah...if anyone reads this : Better start with stronger monsters and the XP stuff, you can then turn it off at a chapel if you feel like it's too hard but be aware that you can't turn it back on again...
Ashuran 8 Jul @ 7:35pm 
Originally posted by PsYcHoSeAn:
Originally posted by jamie havok:

The problem is that, once you start the game, you don't know what awaits you. This is my first DQ game in decades and I had no idea if I'll get stomped or not. 10-15 hours in I slowly got the realization that the base game is way too easy. I was hoping that it picks up a bit doe and stopped killing monsters so they *catch up* on me. But even then...after 30 hours Ive realized that i've done goofed, as some would say. And I can't enable the stronger monsters or the xp stuff retroactively

I'd have to start from 0 and to be honest, as good as the game is, that's something I don't wanna do immediately now. Maybe later...who knows. But for now i'm "stuck" in a game that doesn't challenge me at all.

So yeah...if anyone reads this : Better start with stronger monsters and the XP stuff, you can then turn it off at a chapel if you feel like it's too hard but be aware that you can't turn it back on again...

I just finished my first playthrough on hard. Started my second now with normal mode but with different challenges like protagonist dying means game over, less xp on weaker monster and townspeople lying for fun. And What I notice is that the difference between hard monster and normal mode is huuuuge. As in I wish there is a middle ground mode. Hard monster will be very grindy so it will also be a turn off for a lot of people who just wants a decent challenge but still wants to enjoy the game at a decent pace.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50