DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition

DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition

View Stats:
Doe's anyone else feel like Act 2 was major filler? (Spoilers)
The party gets separated during that major event. And the game makes you spend countless hours getting every character back all over again and going through the same areas and locations a second time over. I know there were a few new areas, dungeons and tidbits of new story. But treading previous ground a second time, felt like major filler to me.

It also felt like it dragged on past its welcome. I couldn't wait to get all of the characters back. And it took forever! I guess the upside is, almost all of the characters had more exposition and growth. But, I'm just asking myself, "Was it worth it?..."That exposition could just have easily been told with a full party and in more new areas. Not saying act 2 was terrible, far from it, just dragged on a bit too far for my tastes.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Nah, it just took a page from Final Fantasy VI as something similar did happened. It's the typical time skip archetype used on anime as well. Where the party is defeated and scattered just to be re-united to try again. It re-use the areas because you already visited almost all the world on Act 1 but you still have things to rediscover.
Koby 25 Aug @ 12:09pm 
I felt like Act 2 was very much needed for Act 3 to hit the way it does.
T-wRecks 25 Aug @ 1:32pm 
It's a very slow buildup to the idea that things might end up very close to the way they were before the end of act 1, with everything falling slowly back into place, and the things that didn't being somewhat distant to the reassembling party. That gives more impact to the realization that things aren't going all the way back to where they were in very important ways. And after that is when it heads to new areas and situations. That impact is what makes the decision to even have an act 3 of the nature that it is work.
Notice how the Yuusha kind of looks like Future Trunks? There's your foreshadowing if I've ever seen it.
Also even if act 2 re uses areas, now you can access places that you couldn't because now you can as the monsters on the map got changed so you can ride newer monsters.
Last edited by LordKaiserX0; 27 Aug @ 2:50pm
I personally didn't think it felt like filler. I actually liked going back to areas we'd visited before to make the most of those areas. I also liked the solos with Erik and others.
Andination 13 Sep @ 12:03pm 
Originally posted by legaiaflame:
The party gets separated during that major event. And the game makes you spend countless hours getting every character back all over again and going through the same areas and locations a second time over. I know there were a few new areas, dungeons and tidbits of new story. But treading previous ground a second time, felt like major filler to me.

It also felt like it dragged on past its welcome. I couldn't wait to get all of the characters back. And it took forever! I guess the upside is, almost all of the characters had more exposition and growth. But, I'm just asking myself, "Was it worth it?..."That exposition could just have easily been told with a full party and in more new areas. Not saying act 2 was terrible, far from it, just dragged on a bit too far for my tastes.

You felt a change in pacing because its the add on content of the S version, the original version had that part trimmed down and no further development with companions

it was faster but more character development is always good
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50