Sid Meier's Civilization® VII

Sid Meier's Civilization® VII

Data harvesting
Civ 6 was discovered to take user data without explicit consent, the collection of which couldn't be disabled from the settings. Nowadays, most if not all AAA publishers write extremely generous privacy policies which the user is forced to agree with, else they can't use the software they already paid for. Instead of a guarantee of privacy, the only purpose of the privacy terms is the opposite: to prepare for the syphoning of ever more user data, associated with the user's real name and email account. It is not fair for the users to pay full price for a game, only to be recorded and analysed as if the game was an app for mobile released for free.

If you guys are going to charge 70 bucks for the basic version, at least release the game spyware free. We're getting sick and tired of being treated as cattle. Just saying.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
why 5 Sep @ 5:17am 
ok and
Catalytic (Banned) 5 Sep @ 10:51am 
I'm a privacy advocate and agree.

But, let's play devil's advocate for a second and ask what they're collecting and why.

* Usage data - they want to know if you're running the game and for how long. As a former MMORPG player, I know how addicting games can become and it's good for developers to understand if the game is asking "too much" of competitive players and potentially driving addictive behavior. More practically, this is also used to monitor engagement with the game, noting trends when people play and when they don't, so if you offer FOMO events, you can try to maximize their effect.

* User machine data - understanding what type of hardware players are trying to run your game on is really critical to playing upcoming projects. For example, right now, I'm using a 6-year-old laptop with integrated graphics to play with. Will the game run? If so, what does the performance look like? what kind of fps do I get with it? what does that look like across all of my users so if I'm working on an expansion I expect to drop in a year, do I need to raise minimum specs and potentially piss off some of my customers who won't be able to run it on their old machines? Lots of useful information there.

* Crash data - this is obvious and most people don't object to having a crash report sent as part of ongoing efforts to fix bugs

There are some things in here most people are fine with, and some things people view as intrusive. It's not an exhaustive list either. Data can be used in very clever ways to try and infer all sorts of things, so we have to be clear about what's being collected and what it's being used for. It's annoying to have those agreements tacked onto games, let along to have to read that garbage, and potentially not play because some company decided to turn their game into a market-research data collection center so they can FOMO you and squeeze every drop of cash out of your wallet. But, I will also admit there are some legitimate things they might do with some basic user data.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50