Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden

View Stats:
ChickenMadness 2 Apr @ 6:34am
Is this game woke?
Had a quick glance and it looks woke to me.

Not supporting woke products.
Last edited by ChickenMadness; 2 Apr @ 6:39am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 256 comments
Moon Man 2 Apr @ 7:41am 
You're woke.
Im Yoona 2 Apr @ 7:56am 
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Yes but there is much more than simply being a "woke" game and I think you could give it a try or at least look further into into if you're interested.
To be brief, the game has a very good atmosphere, and the dialogues are very well written too. The thing that may bother you, is that there are quite a number of gay couples, or "girl bosses", certainly more than I would expect from a story happening in this time period.

There are also some word changing, like a church being called a meetinghouse. I'm an atheist and even I can be bothered by it but hey, I can overlook this.

One thing I don't enjoy in the game is the combat, so if the quality of it is very important to you I'd honestly look elsewhere. It is repetitive, kind of boring really, and about 6 enemies throughout the whole game.

I still haven't finished it (playing on another platform) but overall, I'd rank it a nice 7.
If you are looking at this for atmosphere, I'd recommend you Alone in the Dark. Another 7 out of 10 but for me much better.
shiv 2 Apr @ 12:07pm 
I'd say slightly.

The main female character and sometimes the male one point out the injustice/imbalance that women face at the time, which is narratively reasonable.

If homosexuality offends you, there are references to a few lesbian couples in the game. Might be seen by some as a bit over the top to have it pop up as a recurring theme, but it never felt excessive or 'agenda preachy' to me.

My only gripe would be that the main female character on occasion will treat men who have done horrible things with disdain, but women who have done horrible things are treated with a bit more sympathy. Personally I only experienced this in an excessive preachy way a single time. It soured the moment for me but not the game. It was in keeping with the character however so there is atleast consistency.

Overall unless you are extremely sensitive to woke media conceptually, I'd say the content of the game when viewed through the lense of historical context and the nature of the characters, it's not very problematic and shouldn't spoil the game for you.

It's a very good story worth playing and none of the stuff mentioned here ruined the experience for me.
Last edited by shiv; 2 Apr @ 12:16pm
Mono 3 Apr @ 2:15pm 
Personally, I have noticed that according to the creators of this game, a real and model woman should be arrogant, belittling and contemptuous.

But if you don't mind the concept in which equality between men and women is presented on the principle that men are incompetent losers and scumbags and women are resourceful, intelligent and admirable, then no, this game is not "woke."
Originally posted by Im Yoona:

Long answer: Yes but there is much more than simply being a "woke" game and I think you could give it a try or at least look further into into if you're interested.
To be brief, the game has a very good atmosphere, and the dialogues are very well written too. The thing that may bother you, is that there are quite a number of gay couples, or "girl bosses", certainly more than I would expect from a story happening in this time period.

There are also some word changing, like a church being called a meetinghouse. I'm an atheist and even I can be bothered by it but hey, I can overlook this.

One thing I don't enjoy in the game is the combat, so if the quality of it is very important to you I'd honestly look elsewhere. It is repetitive, kind of boring really, and about 6 enemies throughout the whole game.

I still haven't finished it (playing on another platform) but overall, I'd rank it a nice 7.
If you are looking at this for atmosphere, I'd recommend you Alone in the Dark. Another 7 out of 10 but for me much better.

Meetinghouse is actually a proper term even for that time period, instead of "church" because that building was used for both religious purposes, and for non religious purposes for public meetings. My family has letters and journals from our ancestors dating back to the 1600s in the Colonial area and they used the word "meetinghouse" often. The term "meetinghouse" actually did originate around the 1600s in Colonial America, they used those buildings for religious meetings and for the public meetings.
s0r@nd0m 3 Apr @ 2:36pm 
Guys, are Magical Puritans woke?
Grumpy 3 Apr @ 5:30pm 
Originally posted by WolfEisberg:
Originally posted by Im Yoona:

Meetinghouse is actually a proper term even for that time period, instead of "church" because that building was used for both religious purposes, and for non religious purposes for public meetings. My family has letters and journals from our ancestors dating back to the 1600s in the Colonial area and they used the word "meetinghouse" often. The term "meetinghouse" actually did originate around the 1600s in Colonial America, they used those buildings for religious meetings and for the public meetings.

Sir, real facts are not accepted on steam forums, i'll have to ask for your ban now.

Nerd.
ncarr99 7 Apr @ 5:55pm 
Originally posted by ChickenMadness:
Had a quick glance and it looks woke to me.

Not supporting woke products.

Eh...meh, I guess? I'm only about maybe 6 hours into the game, so far I'd say it has what you might call "woke" elements, but they're generally pretty mild. That said if you're hostile enough to this kind of thing that you'd feel the need to make a post like this then those mild elements might be too much for you to handle.

So here are the handful things that might hypothetically be considered "woke", hopefully you'll agree that it really isn't that big of a deal. Even these include a few things that are a bit of a stretch to be called woke.

1. The main characters are in an interracial romantic relationship. The mere fact that one of the main characters is a tough black woman might be considered "woke" by a certain class of knuckledraggers.
2. A decent amount of mild feminist themes, multiple strong female characters etc. but while it's undoubtedly feminist it's not feminazi, it's never been done at the expense of making men look bad, I've seen no sign of man-hatred or anything like that. Nor does it get preachy or overtly praising "girl power" or anything, there's just some good characters that happen to be women. Hell in one case a certain female character who's held up as strong ends up being deconstructed when it turns out she's a massive ♥♥♥♥♥ and a hypocrite who's done horrible things in part because she's trying so hard to be strong.
3. So far I've seen a single Native American side character who is essentially irrelevant and easily missable since she isn't related to any quests so far, who does make a couple of comments that very loosely play into the "white people shouldn't be here, this is our land" mentality, but it's pretty indirect and anyway essentially historically accurate to what you'd expect from an actual native from the time period watching the early steps of the colonists conquering the continent.
4. Some minor LGBT stuff. Early on there's a couple of men who aren't explicitly confirmed to be gay but certainly talk and act like their friendship is deeper than a normal friendship, it's left ambiguous but certainly could be interpreted as romantic in nature. Also another character that *was* explicitly part of a lesbian relationship in her past. But like with the feminism stuff it's not very preachy about it or anything, there's just a few characters in the world who happen to be gay. Which like, gay people do exist and even did exist back then, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to have a handful of characters that are homosexual.

So yeah, not really a big deal, but perhaps too much for some pearls-clutching folks who are easily triggered by any suggestion of even a handful of characters that aren't straight white men.
Last edited by ncarr99; 7 Apr @ 5:57pm
❄️
one guy's answer is to ban the guy he didn't like the opinion of lol.
Even Steam itself is woke. You will find nothing that isn't woke today, because the younger people make it woke. Even if you woke up today, you are woke.
TheAnti 19 Apr @ 9:31pm 
YES. It absolutely ruins the game almost as bad as the fast travel system.
Knuti 19 Apr @ 11:35pm 
Originally posted by TheAnti:
YES. It absolutely ruins the game almost as bad as the fast travel system.

I have to play as a black woman? My precious videogame is RUINED!!!
LilBlkCloud 21 Apr @ 7:04pm 
I came here to make a joke thread with the same subject line.
Looks like I didn't have to.
Draxuss 22 Apr @ 1:48am 
Originally posted by LilBlkCloud:
I came here to make a joke thread with the same subject line.
Looks like I didn't have to.
Sad part is op is serious...
< >
Showing 1-15 of 256 comments
Per page: 1530 50