Derelicts

Sandbox mode
I am wondering if it will offer a sandbox mode or creative mode
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Romain  [developer] 28 Feb, 2023 @ 8:04am 
Originally posted by anarchisticlees:

Hello! Do you mean a mode without any threat or enemies? Just players being free to build stuff around without being bothered?
GloriasDaughter 28 Feb, 2023 @ 8:20am 
Originally posted by Romain:

Hello! Do you mean a mode without any threat or enemies? Just players being free to build stuff around without being bothered?
Yea. Or less attacks. After a regular runthrough of survival game, I tend to go straight creative with building aspects. ITs where my replayability lays. I eventually just take turns between regular/hard runthroughs and creative. Sometimes I use creative modes first just to get the hang of building before I hit the ground building and defending bases etc. It just gives me options.
Romain  [developer] 6 Mar, 2023 @ 11:39pm 

Yea. Or less attacks. After a regular runthrough of survival game, I tend to go straight creative with building aspects. ITs where my replayability lays. I eventually just take turns between regular/hard runthroughs and creative. Sometimes I use creative modes first just to get the hang of building before I hit the ground building and defending bases etc. It just gives me options.

Totally agree and I'll indeed offer a creative mode with no enemies. There will also be a difficulty mode so you can start on Easy and change it as you go, to get the hand of the building system. :)
Romain  [developer] 6 Mar, 2023 @ 11:41pm 
Originally posted by Mohguy:
Personally, I also like having the possibility of either playing in a "peaceful" mode (without enemies or enemies with a passive behavior, like in Grounded for example), or being able to modify certain parameters to influence the difficulty (damage of enemies, damage inflicted, amount of life, number of enemies, loss of stuff on death, etc etc).

I'm not a big fan of fights in JVs, it doesn't bother me if there's a little and understand that it also plays on the atmosphere and the feeling of insecurity, but it's far from being the thing that appeals to me most.
When possible I do 2 games in survivals, one where I play in normal mode, and one in peaceful mode just to be able to go totally at my own pace, not to be too bored by mobs, and to be able to concentrate on exploration, the sandbox side , building/housing, etc.
I prefer the "environmental threat" side than "threat from mobs".

Duly noted! :) I agree with you, offering as many options as possible in term of difficulty is the best way to go. The peaceful mode is planned as well. I'll have to think about how to handle bosses with that one (maybe just no boss at all).
I know a lot of people prefer to enjoy and chill without too many fights. :)
GloriasDaughter 7 Mar, 2023 @ 4:57am 
Originally posted by Mohguy:
Personally, I also like having the possibility of either playing in a "peaceful" mode (without enemies or enemies with a passive behavior, like in Grounded for example), or being able to modify certain parameters to influence the difficulty (damage of enemies, damage inflicted, amount of life, number of enemies, loss of stuff on death, etc etc).

I'm not a big fan of fights in JVs, it doesn't bother me if there's a little and understand that it also plays on the atmosphere and the feeling of insecurity, but it's far from being the thing that appeals to me most.
When possible I do 2 games in survivals, one where I play in normal mode, and one in peaceful mode just to be able to go totally at my own pace, not to be too bored by mobs, and to be able to concentrate on exploration, the sandbox side , building/housing, etc.
I prefer the "environmental threat" side than "threat from mobs".

Duly noted! :) I agree with you, offering as many options as possible in term of difficulty is the best way to go. The peaceful mode is planned as well. I'll have to think about how to handle bosses with that one (maybe just no boss at all).
I know a lot of people prefer to enjoy and chill without too many fights. :)
this is awesome. Thank you so much for the replies. It really helps having those modes available when building is a part of a survival game. Especially if the game has a complicated enemy situation, or base defending. Going through various modes of gameplay ensures I can do more than just die while trying to build. I had to mess with modes a lot when I played the forest because I was often attacked while building. I really hated that, so my first regular run through, I didn't bother building abase, I just slept on islands instead. the rest of the games I I played in peaceful and creative mode because its system of fighting really didn't support elaborate building in my case. It was just fight or build, I couldn't do both
Kortak 3 Jul, 2023 @ 11:54pm 
I never bother with creative mode. Its always about the survival part and the problems you encounter.. with weather, food, enemies, shelters, diseases, resources etc..and most important, it needs to have COOP

where is the fun in creative mode..yuk...I have lego for that.. Ah well..everyone his own i guess
GloriasDaughter 4 Jul, 2023 @ 5:00am 
Originally posted by Kortak:
I never bother with creative mode. Its always about the survival part and the problems you encounter.. with weather, food, enemies, shelters, diseases, resources etc..and most important, it needs to have COOP

where is the fun in creative mode..yuk...I have lego for that.. Ah well..everyone his own i guess

For people like me, the fun is in creating. I love to run a survival game in regular and even hard mode when I feel like surviving, but when it comes to base-building, I also love just creating a functional, but attractive setup and that can take time. More time than is available when fighting for your life. Granted there are other games designed specifically for creating, but build systems and customisation options are usually better in survival games. You don't have to like creating bases etc., and that is fine, but for those of us that do, survival games generally offer more in that respect, which is why we tend to gravitate toward them for building. Eventually, I will return to a good survival game just for the building and will almost never actually play the game. That was what I meant by replayability. My favorite thing about the forest building was that I could build a base in peaceful mode and THEN play the game on the same build, which meant that I had a nice safe building experience, but also an awesome way to test the build against enemies later. It was awesome. Some builds worked better than others at keeping me safe, but it was definitely fun figuring out where my builds were vulnerable. The forests building system was far too time consuming though for me to be able to build what I built while fighting off enemies though.
Romain  [developer] 11 Jul, 2023 @ 1:21pm 
Originally posted by GloriasDaughter:
Originally posted by Kortak:

For people like me, the fun is in creating. I love to run a survival game in regular and even hard mode when I feel like surviving, but when it comes to base-building, I also love just creating a functional, but attractive setup and that can take time. More time than is available when fighting for your life. Granted there are other games designed specifically for creating, but build systems and customisation options are usually better in survival games. You don't have to like creating bases etc., and that is fine, but for those of us that do, survival games generally offer more in that respect, which is why we tend to gravitate toward them for building. Eventually, I will return to a good survival game just for the building and will almost never actually play the game. That was what I meant by replayability. My favorite thing about the forest building was that I could build a base in peaceful mode and THEN play the game on the same build, which meant that I had a nice safe building experience, but also an awesome way to test the build against enemies later. It was awesome. Some builds worked better than others at keeping me safe, but it was definitely fun figuring out where my builds were vulnerable. The forests building system was far too time consuming though for me to be able to build what I built while fighting off enemies though.

Wow, that's really interesting and I didn't know you could switch your save between peaceful and normal mode in The Forest! That's actually an awesome idea!
I would never have thought about this so that's really cool you mentioned it.
I'll have to see how well I can adapt this in Derelicts but that would be so cool to have. Like peacefully building a base and then proof-testing it in a normal/hard mode.

Thanks for this feedback!
Last edited by Romain; 11 Jul, 2023 @ 1:22pm
GloriasDaughter 11 Jul, 2023 @ 5:49pm 

Wow, that's really interesting and I didn't know you could switch your save between peaceful and normal mode in The Forest! That's actually an awesome idea!
I'll have to see how well I can adapt this in Derelicts but that would be so cool to have. Like peacefully building a base and then proof-testing it in a normal/hard mode.

I am happy you liked it. I don't know how hard it is for a dev to implement a system like that, but it is definitely a cool one and offers a LOT for creative builders like myself. I have built some great and not so great structures in creative or peaceful modes in all kinds of locations. It really adds to replay ability because it allows me the freedom to really really test myself in regular and hard modes. I tend to forage for materials in regular mode, build in creative mode and then test build in hard mode. Its quite a cycle lol
Romain  [developer] 2 Jun @ 5:36am 

I am happy you liked it. I don't know how hard it is for a dev to implement a system like that, but it is definitely a cool one and offers a LOT for creative builders like myself. I have built some great and not so great structures in creative or peaceful modes in all kinds of locations. It really adds to replay ability because it allows me the freedom to really really test myself in regular and hard modes. I tend to forage for materials in regular mode, build in creative mode and then test build in hard mode. Its quite a cycle lol

I think that implementing a switch shouldn't be too hard! I'll have to look into it! :)

Basically, I need to make the enemies despawn and respawn whenever you want to switch. Definitely something I'll add to the list of things to implement!
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50