Derelicts

Derelicts

veinichs 17 Jun, 2022 @ 10:01pm
Free or Paid?
is this game gonna be free or money needed?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
Romain  [developer] 18 Jun, 2022 @ 9:46am 
Hello veins! The game will not be free but there is no price set yet :).
I'll let people know when I get closer to release for the definitive price.
Have a great weekend.
NuLife 18 Jun, 2022 @ 1:59pm 
don't get why it would be free tbh lol
Romain  [developer] 20 Jun, 2022 @ 5:25am 
Originally posted by NuLife:
Hey NuLife! :)
My theory is that I think it's a generational thing. I'm getting this question from time to time and I think it's because younger people have been used to free PvP games (like Battle Royales, MOBAs...).

Usually, people asking the question don't realize that a survival game cannot really have microtransactions to make it substainable and free at launch, like for the other above-mentioned types of game. :)

This is just my own assumption though! But thinking this way, I can understand where people are coming from and why they would ask this.

Have a great day!
Last edited by Romain; 20 Jun, 2022 @ 5:25am
zEn 20 Jun, 2022 @ 5:35am 
I second this, and I'll add that younger people doesn't realize, as much as older ones, the value/quantity of work needed.

Of course one could argue there are indy games free but it's usually small projects made in the context of their ongoing studies or just don't want/need to professionalize themselves.

As a side note they also seem not to be aware that you need to earn a living xD
Romain  [developer] 5 Jul, 2022 @ 4:46am 
Originally posted by zEn:
I second this, and I'll add that younger people doesn't realize, as much as older ones, the value/quantity of work needed.

Of course one could argue there are indy games free but it's usually small projects made in the context of their ongoing studies or just don't want/need to professionalize themselves.

As a side note they also seem not to be aware that you need to earn a living xD
That's true. :)
It's harder to picture the amount of work needed for something when you have never worked in your life on a project. Usually, for people still in Junior High or High school, it's harder to imagine and conceptualize it because we never experienced it at that age.
Though, I'm thinking that a lot of younger people do realize it as well! :)
NuLife 5 Jul, 2022 @ 7:24am 
Originally posted by Romain:
Originally posted by NuLife:
Hey NuLife! :)
My theory is that I think it's a generational thing. I'm getting this question from time to time and I think it's because younger people have been used to free PvP games (like Battle Royales, MOBAs...).

Have a great day!
yer i understand that, makes sense, and ill keep my other reasons to myself as not to upset anyone with sensitive emotions (:
Empan 17 Jul, 2022 @ 9:05am 
Yall gon charge like 60 bucks and say it is on discount, Better be like 7.99 or some
thinkinTom 17 Sep, 2022 @ 10:10am 
Well I for one am glad it's not a free game. There is no such thing as a free game, you always in the end, get micro-transactions for PTW mechanic's. I despise these games.

So I'm happy to see this will be available for purchase, whenever it is released. Thanks.
ThugDragonz 25 Sep, 2022 @ 1:12pm 
Well to make money do what Conan exile does. LOL Course that game is NOT free, they try to get money out of the players every which way. But don't do what they did add a seasonal dumb battle pass lol. So ya free vs paid it's pretty rare to find a good survival game that is FREE. Ps. this game does look interesting so far by watching the videos.
hellco 3 Oct, 2022 @ 1:03pm 
Originally posted by Empan:
Yall gon charge like 60 bucks and say it is on discount, Better be like 7.99 or some
So Romain shouldn't be paid for his time, effort and work???? and yet the you people( the younger generation) want $15 an hour to flip burgers and still manage to F a plain cheese burger.... quit your sniveling and earn your ♥♥♥♥... otherwise sit down and shut up. so sick and tired of listening to people cry about free ♥♥♥♥.... you want something for free??? its called advice.. and here it is.. get off your asses and accomplish something, you cant do that by being handed free ♥♥♥♥ and participation trophies....
Tryyton 8 Oct, 2022 @ 5:12pm 
@Romaine game looks great and i like the different approach, with the use of water and such.

Originally posted by veinichs:
is this game gonna be free or money needed?
free? are you ok?

i can't even, seriously...

Originally posted by Empan:
1st no price was mentioned, 2nd... 7.99 for the quality it already shows?
asking you the same... are you ok?
Last edited by Tryyton; 8 Oct, 2022 @ 5:13pm
ragen311 20 Oct, 2022 @ 1:33pm 
Have to admire the boldness of the technique. I think I'd like to live this for a week and see what happens. No matter the situation, "Is this (insert service or product) free or money needed." I wonder how far I will get.

Hopefully the actual question that veinichis was attempting to ask was more along the lines of how the developer planned on monetizing the game; up front one time purchase, an advertisement barrage, micro transactions with pay to play and/or win. Didn't really seem to hint at anything other than a standard purchase to me though.

Not sure I agree with the younger generation assumption (except they are more used to unique monetization). Every generation has a portion of its population that are looking for handouts or don't understand the concept of hard work being rewarded. The main consistency is older generations seem to see these negative qualities more clearly in younger generations without appreciating the unique challenges facing the youth.

Just my opinion. The game looks truly awesome though. If you felt moved by my words.....can I have it for free, or money needed?
hellco 21 Oct, 2022 @ 5:56am 
Originally posted by ragen311:
Have to admire the boldness of the technique. I think I'd like to live this for a week and see what happens. No matter the situation, "Is this (insert service or product) free or money needed." I wonder how far I will get.

Hopefully the actual question that veinichis was attempting to ask was more along the lines of how the developer planned on monetizing the game; up front one time purchase, an advertisement barrage, micro transactions with pay to play and/or win. Didn't really seem to hint at anything other than a standard purchase to me though.

Not sure I agree with the younger generation assumption (except they are more used to unique monetization). Every generation has a portion of its population that are looking for handouts or don't understand the concept of hard work being rewarded. The main consistency is older generations seem to see these negative qualities more clearly in younger generations without appreciating the unique challenges facing the youth.

Just my opinion. The game looks truly awesome though. If you felt moved by my words.....can I have it for free, or money needed?

just my opinion........ i dont think the game would be more then 50 dollars ( or euros or what ever currency you use.) you still have some time to get a job to so you can buy one... why is everyone begging for free ♥♥♥♥?????
Tryyton 21 Oct, 2022 @ 6:06am 
Originally posted by helland_greg:
just my opinion........ i dont think the game would be more then 50 dollars ( or euros or what ever currency you use.) you still have some time to get a job to so you can buy one... why is everyone begging for free ♥♥♥♥?????
tbh, there are quite a lot of f2p games or techdemos out there. so it was just a question to know about it. at least the op wasn't directly asking to get it for free or that they expect it to be free. :wink_eol:
the person you quoted was joking at the end.
ragen311 19 Dec, 2022 @ 7:29pm 
I love coming back to this thread. It has given me an idea for a Chapelle Show type recurring skit. Veinichs going to different places of business inquiring about the products and services only to be confused as to whether the business required compensation. I need to flesh it out, but there is something here.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 17 Jun, 2022 @ 10:01pm