Tinykin

Tinykin

View Stats:
Soapboard Grinding is legitimately terrible
As somebody who loves this game it's really irritating to me that the soapboard physics are so bad. What ledges you can or cannot grind on is inconsistent, as is the momentum. Many times while grinding you will be thrown off the edge or slow down for literally no reason. Makes 100% an unpleasant experience in stark contrast to the rest of the game.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
NBOX21 10 Dec, 2023 @ 2:14pm 
The only time the soapboard had any negative impact on my experience with the game are the challenge levels added in the updates, and even those are fully optional with absolutely no achievements locked behind them. Other than that, the soapboard worked well enough for me with only a few minor annoyances here and there such as the issues you described but weren't severe enough to hinder my overall enjoyment of the game. :carrier_tinykin:
Originally posted by NBOX21:
The only time the soapboard had any negative impact on my experience with the game are the challenge levels added in the updates, and even those are fully optional with absolutely no achievements locked behind them. Other than that, the soapboard worked well enough for me with only a few minor annoyances here and there such as the issues you described but weren't severe enough to hinder my overall enjoyment of the game. :carrier_tinykin:

Do the time trails on Platinum, then get back to me.
Figured this would have been a super old post before some big movement change since I just cleared the game and nearly got the platinum time on all the races when I got gold. I guess not.

Na, Soupboarding is fine. Only struggled on the first area, where I was getting use to what was required of it, and the last level, which was the first one that seemed to require the mini side grinds that don't just lock you onto the rails.
Originally posted by apathetic:
Figured this would have been a super old post before some big movement change since I just cleared the game and nearly got the platinum time on all the races when I got gold. I guess not.

Na, Soupboarding is fine. Only struggled on the first area, where I was getting use to what was required of it, and the last level, which was the first one that seemed to require the mini side grinds that don't just lock you onto the rails.

Incorrect.
Like I said originally, many times while grinding you will be thrown off the rail and many edges that you should be able to grind on just do not track. Not really an issue for a casual play-through but when you're trying to go fast and hop from one rail to another the issues really begin to show.
Do the time trails on Platinum, then get back to me.
I did the plat medals and I agree with you.

Platinum medals are doable, but yeah the grinding doesn't feel great. Too easy to be thrown off, or worse, be launched in a random direction. As does certain angles just killing your momentum instantly.

Feels like the platinum times are not just good play, but also getting lucky with the grinding and "geometry RNG" not killing your momentum. It should feel a bit more like a snap-on that's a bit harder to get out of.
Rushin 31 Jan @ 4:13am 
I did platinums. The soap grinding felt fine. It does throw you around unexpectedly in a few particular spots across all the tracks but I wouldn't call it "legitimately terrible" at all. Maybe it gets worse if you're going for actual world records but just for plats it was fine.
michael 31 Jan @ 8:17am 
imo the Soapboard and the grinfing with it fells really sadisfying and ads a very smooth gameplay especially with a controler.
Maybe it is an issue of your Keyboard/Controler if you randomöy slowed down since that never happend to me
Originally posted by michael:
imo the Soapboard and the grinfing with it fells really sadisfying and ads a very smooth gameplay especially with a controler.
Maybe it is an issue of your Keyboard/Controler if you randomöy slowed down since that never happend to me

Definitely not a hardware issue. It's not really noticeable until you do the time trials on plat. Then the jank starts to show.
The silk snaps and locks your movement. But any other ledge doesn't. So It took some getting used to, but you just have to let go of your movement control when you try to grind. Slide towards and edge and let go and you will be locked on. Any time I was thrown off was because I was holding forward or touched the movement before I jumped off.

Plats have been pretty doable. Just doing a run with no obvious mistakes gets it for me. The first level demanded perfection though.
ovni.demon 21 Feb @ 11:47am 
I totally agree. I am aiming at the platinum and a lot of the races are frustrating, in big part because of the grinding. I lost the count of failed race because I tried to land on an edge only to fell.

But the races in general are really frustrating, even without grinding. A good example: level 2 the jungle, the small race. Near the start, you have a platform that is a bit high for a normal jump. I must have been blocked by it at least 30 time. There is also all the small ramp (or leaves) that can easily remove any speed you had.

Platinum is definitely doable for all the races, but any slight mistake in the race make you directly lose the platinum, or even the gold.
Last edited by ovni.demon; 21 Feb @ 11:48am
Necro because I don't want to make a new thread to complain about this:

I am following videos exactly to get the platinum medals and the amount of times the soap bar just effortless slides off the piano or the house plant leaves I'm supposed to get on and ruining my runs is absurd. Not to mention the times that I've clipped through those ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ leaves on the way to that shelving area.

Why are the times so precise when the game itself is consistently inconsistent. Thankfully they aren't needed for the %100 but I have lost all interest in completing them.
Originally posted by Spy and The Holograms:
Necro because I don't want to make a new thread to complain about this:

I am following videos exactly to get the platinum medals and the amount of times the soap bar just effortless slides off the piano or the house plant leaves I'm supposed to get on and ruining my runs is absurd. Not to mention the times that I've clipped through those ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ leaves on the way to that shelving area.

Why are the times so precise when the game itself is consistently inconsistent. Thankfully they aren't needed for the %100 but I have lost all interest in completing them.
Looking a bit into it, I saw that the races were added after the release. That could explain: they didn't think of it when they created the game and it was just an additional feature, hence it was badly balanced/designed.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50