Nightmare Frames

Nightmare Frames

View Stats:
mcquigan 2 Oct, 2021 @ 8:54am
Great demo
Very nice.
Good story, traditional menu options, a manual save!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
FRMadCow56 2 Oct, 2021 @ 3:44pm 
Agreed! Loved the music/soundtrack as well!

Looking forward to its release and added it to my wishlist!
frisby 3 Oct, 2021 @ 6:28pm 
Just wanted to say I love all the look descriptions and hotspots - looking forward to the game! :catmug:
Dexter 4 Oct, 2021 @ 7:08am 
Any way to change resolution? Also Alt-Tabbing leads to a kind of annoying Soundloop for me.

Other than that, the game was okay, but it didn't exactly sweep me off my feet. Some of the writing came off as a bit pretentious and exceedingly cynical. There were still a bunch of spelling errors.
Last edited by Dexter; 4 Oct, 2021 @ 7:14am
mcquigan 4 Oct, 2021 @ 7:23am 
Just played a bit more. Off my wish list as long as the dialogue remains as it is.
Coach Gamer 5 Oct, 2021 @ 6:07am 
Originally posted by Dexter:
Any way to change resolution? Also Alt-Tabbing leads to a kind of annoying Soundloop for me.

Other than that, the game was okay, but it didn't exactly sweep me off my feet. Some of the writing came off as a bit pretentious and exceedingly cynical. There were still a bunch of spelling errors.

Yes, open the game files, and run winsetup.exe. There you can change resolution by changing those multipliers.
Coach Gamer 5 Oct, 2021 @ 6:13am 
The only aspect I didn't enjoy were the taxi drivers.
mcquigan 5 Oct, 2021 @ 9:29am 
Originally posted by Coach Gamer:
The only aspect I didn't enjoy were the taxi drivers.

What aspect? The dialogue or them in general?
The dialogue put me off.
Even if accurate for the 80's there are some things that should not be repeated.
Coach Gamer 5 Oct, 2021 @ 10:20am 
The dialog, I wouldn't mind them if it was only because of small talk, but I don't think that homophobia should be included
mcquigan 5 Oct, 2021 @ 10:39am 
Originally posted by Coach Gamer:
The dialog, I wouldn't mind them if it was only because of small talk, but I don't think that homophobia should be included

I felt the exact same way and wondered if it was just me.
tuxdelux 18 Oct, 2021 @ 6:57am 
great synth music at the main menu
cipherbloom 1 Nov, 2021 @ 10:51pm 
Sweet demo! The cinematic segues were a very nice touch, super pro. Beautiful artwork. Excellent writing overall and I found the interactions between characters to be quite natural. Some dialogues/monologues can be a bit repetitive and/or excessive. I agree with @Dexter that the cynicism is also pretty heavy (hoping the protagonist's views shift as events occur).

Regarding the complaints about NPCs' bigotry: period film and series include the same sort of thing (eg Madmen) as it does create a realistic environment for the era. You've done a good job making the ignorance of the prejudiced side-characters quite clear (just as in Urban Witch Story, a decidedly anti-racist etc game). Maybe it is excessive for the format of this medium, I don't know, trim it down a little I guess? Or have the protagonist react to it with irritation?

Would love it if you'd increase the line-height/spacing it sort of made our eyes cross. We also accidentally clicked past some lines of dialogue because of the timer (you might want to set 'skip dialogue' to 'mouse only' or 'mouse and keyboard only').

Looking forward to the game, Postmodern!
postmodernadventures  [developer] 2 Nov, 2021 @ 1:36am 
Thanks for the feedback, @skeevy_wonder!

In the options menu you can adjust the text speed. The slow option is the "mouse only", the normal is "timer". I will look into spacing the font to make them more readable.

As for that cab driver's line. If you pay attention, when you get into a taxi, they talk you about contemporary events of 1985 (the Cold War, The Night Stalker, Jane Fonda's aerobics videos, etc.). The intention of that line in particular was to show the ignorance and homophic against the AIDS in 1985. When I write a game set in a particular era I want to make it as tight and realistic as possible as I did for Urban Witch Story. If you accept that there were arcade machines everywhere and synthpop on the radio, you also have to accept that there were (and unfortunately, still are) people with such ignorant opinions as the cab driver.

I don't want to write an amusement park of the eighties, I want to show the eighties as they were. For better and worse. I think the medium is mature enough to show those things and there is no need for Alan to react with irritation (in fact, he doesn't answer anything inside the taxi) to that line. The player already knows (or should!) that what the speaker is saying is WRONG.

One last thing and I think this is a spoiler, but anyway... Alan starts out as an idiot and for extension, the narrator too. He hates everything and he's unhappy with his life. The descriptions of people, objects o events reflects how he sees the world. Later in the game, certain things happen to him that will change his personality. And by the end of the game I think more than one player would have a drink with him. Or so I hope!
Last edited by postmodernadventures; 2 Nov, 2021 @ 1:36am
mcquigan 2 Nov, 2021 @ 6:49am 
Originally posted by postmodernadventures:
Thanks for the feedback, @skeevy_wonder!

In the options menu you can adjust the text speed. The slow option is the "mouse only", the normal is "timer". I will look into spacing the font to make them more readable.

As for that cab driver's line. If you pay attention, when you get into a taxi, they talk you about contemporary events of 1985 (the Cold War, The Night Stalker, Jane Fonda's aerobics videos, etc.). The intention of that line in particular was to show the ignorance and homophic against the AIDS in 1985. When I write a game set in a particular era I want to make it as tight and realistic as possible as I did for Urban Witch Story. If you accept that there were arcade machines everywhere and synthpop on the radio, you also have to accept that there were (and unfortunately, still are) people with such ignorant opinions as the cab driver.

I don't want to write an amusement park of the eighties, I want to show the eighties as they were. For better and worse. I think the medium is mature enough to show those things and there is no need for Alan to react with irritation (in fact, he doesn't answer anything inside the taxi) to that line. The player already knows (or should!) that what the speaker is saying is WRONG.

One last thing and I think this is a spoiler, but anyway... Alan starts out as an idiot and for extension, the narrator too. He hates everything and he's unhappy with his life. The descriptions of people, objects o events reflects how he sees the world. Later in the game, certain things happen to him that will change his personality. And by the end of the game I think more than one player would have a drink with him. Or so I hope!

May I ask how old you were in the 80's? for fun let's say 1984
postmodernadventures  [developer] 2 Nov, 2021 @ 9:19am 
I'm 46, too young in that decade to understand everything related in detail of the AIDS but aware enough to perceive how a certain part of society saw it in 1985. However, it is a historical fact that a certain part of society saw this disease as exclusive to homosexuals. Even a certain sector of the church saw it as a punishment for for this group. It is in history books, in documentaries. It was a shame, but it was reality itself.

But, what's the point asking my age? Is it a requirement to be an adult at the time to write about it? What about Dustin Lance Black (born in 1974) who wrote the "Milk" movie? What about Matthew Weiner (1965) the creator of "Mad Men"?

I am very sorry that it makes you feel uncomfortable to see reality reflected in a game. But I don't write the History, I write games. If I had that power to change the history, those episodes would never have happened and maybe this would be a better world.
Last edited by postmodernadventures; 2 Nov, 2021 @ 9:22am
mcquigan 2 Nov, 2021 @ 11:51am 
I was curious because I find that people who lived the decades perceive them in different ways.
I randomly chose that year because my son was entering first grade.
I've seen enough in my life to cull out what I'm tired of.
My fear is that repeating things like that will bring out the haters that believe it's still true.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Per page: 1530 50