Steam Deck

Steam Deck

Pifou 17 May, 2022 @ 6:10pm
Ease of access / Mono audio
I'm deaf in one ear, it would be nice to add this option.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Ygdrad 13 Jul, 2022 @ 12:58pm 
Seconding this request.
nintendude794 13 Jul, 2022 @ 5:00pm 
Great feature, know iOS has it, not sure if Switch has it.
I need this feature too.
Ygdrad 1 Nov, 2022 @ 2:21pm 
Edit: this method no longer works, look for my other post further down for a new simple method.

Hopefully those who needed this feature are still subscribed to this discussion. I have figured out a way that works with most games.

To get mono sound, first, switch to desktop mode and in the discovery app, search for EasyEffects and install it.

Once in EasyEffects, set up an output effect (Output, plugins, stereo tools, stereo matrix, L +R mono sum). Now, what you need to do is go to steam on the desktop and add EasyEffects as a non-steam game.

Get back to game mode, boot up whatever game you want then press the steam button, go back to your library, scroll over to your non-steam games, and start EasyEffects. The menus will be anywhere from janky to completely broken for the app in game mode but it will load whatever settings you had in desktop mode so you're good. Press the steam button again and you can scroll over to the game you launched and resume it. Tada! Mono sound.

You may have to exclude the echo cancellation output module from output effects as it can cause some games to be muted. I've also found that whole most games work with this, a few did not as they didn't show up in the output player list.
Last edited by Ygdrad; 7 Dec, 2023 @ 1:02pm
Juls-ZX 2 Dec, 2022 @ 9:47am 
+1
Radiolint 4 Apr, 2023 @ 3:36am 
I fully agree with this. While I am not hearing impaired, I often play with just one earbud in.

The solution of going into desktop mode & changing the audio settings there (like audio over HDMI for some docks) may work, but it is a *colossal* PITA, and I don't see why it isn't a simple setting easily rolled out in even a nightly, non-major build release.

Hope to see the support for the disabled community Valve 👍🏻
Zarathai 19 May, 2023 @ 10:59pm 
Mono Audio would definitely help me out a lot, hoping Valve gets eyes on this one.
ToadChild 24 Jul, 2023 @ 9:26pm 
I also need this as an accessibility option.
MyNamesTaken 24 Aug, 2023 @ 6:17am 
I also recently found myself in need of a mono audio accessibility option.
The EasyEffects workaround sometimes works, sometimes completely mutes all audio.
Ygdrad 24 Aug, 2023 @ 4:49pm 
Originally posted by MyNamesTaken:
I also recently found myself in need of a mono audio accessibility option.
The EasyEffects workaround sometimes works, sometimes completely mutes all audio.
I find this has to do with how a game handles its audio. Most games are fine, some don't seem to play nice with it.
Hoakeen 29 Nov, 2023 @ 11:37am 
I need mono audio todo, i'm def one ear
afa1425 30 Nov, 2023 @ 12:39am 
Originally posted by Ygdrad:
Hopefully those who needed this feature are still subscribed to this discussion. I have figured out a way that works with most games.

To get mono sound, first, switch to desktop mode and in the discovery app, search for EasyEffects and install it.

Once in EasyEffects, set up an output effect (Output, plugins, stereo tools, stereo matrix, L +R mono sum). Now, what you need to do is go to steam on the desktop and add EasyEffects as a non-steam game.

Get back to game mode, boot up whatever game you want then press the steam button, go back to your library, scroll over to your non-steam games, and start EasyEffects. The menus will be anywhere from janky to completely broken for the app in game mode but it will load whatever settings you had in desktop mode so you're good. Press the steam button again and you can scroll over to the game you launched and resume it. Tada! Mono sound.

You may have to exclude the echo cancellation output module from output effects as it can cause some games to be muted. I've also found that whole most games work with this, a few did not as they didn't show up in the output player list.
new easyeffects update broke the app on the deck, you can revert to an older version by running this command in terminal
# flatpak update --commit=8fa3904766bf444d62c1231bc85b5a7d9aefe5c599e2666803749e5b840fdbd8 com.github.wwmm.easyeffects
edit: fixed typo in command
Last edited by afa1425; 1 Dec, 2023 @ 12:24pm
shay99tech 1 Dec, 2023 @ 8:53pm 

I gave this a try, but when applying the audio effect, it stops any sound from coming out, even just after applying it in desktop mode :(
afa1425 2 Dec, 2023 @ 12:25am 
Originally posted by shay99tech:

I gave this a try, but when applying the audio effect, it stops any sound from coming out, even just after applying it in desktop mode :(

new update broke it, you can use the command i posted above your reply to fix it
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50