STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor™

STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor™

View Stats:
Luke 9 Sep, 2023 @ 2:37am
Stuttering when ray tracing is enabled
To preference, I own a RTX 4090, and the game performs exceptionally well with DLSS 3 and frame generation. However, I've observed that when I enable ray tracing, although the performance remains good, the game experiences frequent stuttering, and the frame pacing appears subpar. Disabling this option results in significantly smoother gameplay with noticeably reduced hitching and stuttering. I'm curious if others have encountered similar issues and if any solutions have been discovered.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
super84trooper 9 Sep, 2023 @ 3:47am 
I have the same issue with RTX 4080. While with FG the game remains playable, the frametime graph is pretty rough to look at. Based on a couple hours of playing, the stuttering seemed to decrease after Corusant thought. The only ”fix” I’ve found so far is to disable ray tracing alltogether. Also curious to learn if someone has a better solution for this.
Darkness-Q8 9 Sep, 2023 @ 5:08am 
Same here with my RTX 3080 / 7800X3D. The starting level is nearly unplayable with RT on and 1440p DLSS quality mode. Turning on RT results in constant frame-time stutter, and turns into a CPU bottleneck causing low GPU utilization (anywhere between 80-95%) and this is with a 7800X3D nonetheless.

Turning off RT fixes this issue and massively boosts the frame rate, but doesn't solve the occasional traversal stutter while you advance through the level.

The second level (Koboh) seems to run way better with RT compared to the first, but traversal stutter is still there. I ended up playing with RT off though.
Madhunter 9 Sep, 2023 @ 7:57am 
4090 and 5800x3d ray tracing on in starting area at 3440x1440 with dlss quality is pretty stuttery then first combat part fps just goes to absolute ♥♥♥♥ 1% lows in the 30s and feels horrible but no ray tracing its fine
Karrrz 9 Sep, 2023 @ 8:26am 
i get the same feeling(stuttering) with a 4070 when using DLSS3 quality + FG(~90fps in heavy scenes).
Without FG it is in the 45-50s but i think my problem is that my CPU is choking. very high load on it with raytracing.

without RT, no FG = 80fps* (feels better/smoother as RT+FG's 90fps, s.below)
with RT, no FG = 45-50fps*

without RT + FG = 157fps* ("max" fps, 165Hz refreshrate monitor)
with RT + FG = 90-95fps* (stuttery, feels same as without Frame gen.)

*depending on scene.
Last edited by Karrrz; 9 Sep, 2023 @ 8:28am
Skyperson375 9 Sep, 2023 @ 8:30am 
Same for me. RT just brings in stutter every few seconds.

Trouble is, disabling RT shows that the game hasn't got the right graphical effects - water has all sorts of weird display issues without RT. I wish the devs would make sure the game looks functional without RT but it doesn't in certain areas - clearly designed around RT.

I had hoped the latest patch would mean I could finally play the game but I still don't feel it's fixed yet.
Kameradoktorn 10 Sep, 2023 @ 4:00pm 
Same here, VRR display with 4080/7700x. Tons of stutter through out the game so far, not just shader stutter but generally really bad frame pacing. If I rotate the camera in a loop, it's so jittery in many places.
aramaz 10 Sep, 2023 @ 7:29pm 
Same here with RTX4090 + 5950X.
Isn't the new DLSS 3.5 help with the ray generation?

I had to turn Ray tracing off to get acceptable fps. When ray tracing is on, dlss doesn't do much even if i set it to ultra performance.
MisterEdd 18 Sep, 2023 @ 7:32pm 
Originally posted by Darkness-Q8:
Same here with my RTX 3080 / 7800X3D. The starting level is nearly unplayable with RT on and 1440p DLSS quality mode. Turning on RT results in constant frame-time stutter, and turns into a CPU bottleneck causing low GPU utilization (anywhere between 80-95%) and this is with a 7800X3D nonetheless.

Turning off RT fixes this issue and massively boosts the frame rate, but doesn't solve the occasional traversal stutter while you advance through the level.

The second level (Koboh) seems to run way better with RT compared to the first, but traversal stutter is still there. I ended up playing with RT off though.

Originally posted by Luke:
To preference, I own a RTX 4090, and the game performs exceptionally well with DLSS 3 and frame generation. However, I've observed that when I enable ray tracing, although the performance remains good, the game experiences frequent stuttering, and the frame pacing appears subpar. Disabling this option results in significantly smoother gameplay with noticeably reduced hitching and stuttering. I'm curious if others have encountered similar issues and if any solutions have been discovered.
Yea to be honest this has what has happened with every unreal game that uses raytracing that I have tried. It could happen in other engines as raytracing is not exactly the most streamlined rendering process and adds a lot of complexity. It also could just outright create a cpu bottleneck which can hurt frame pacing.
Roffroff 25 Jun @ 6:15pm 
Cap it between 35-45 fps. Exchange the stutter for the cinematic console experience.
Aleddra 29 Jun @ 2:28pm 
I'd like you to try turning Gsync off in the Nvidia control pannel, just for this game. It solved stuttering in 2 of my games.
If it works, i'd cap my fps and setup triple buffering.

Worth a try right?
Last edited by Aleddra; 29 Jun @ 2:29pm
ant_sh 29 Jun @ 2:51pm 
Originally posted by Aleddra:
I'd like you to try turning Gsync off in the Nvidia control pannel, just for this game. It solved stuttering in 2 of my games.
it won't really help. Raytracing in this game like in Hogwarts Legacy is enormously taxing on the CPU while not adding much to the experience. Of course lightsaber reflections, glittering water and cave lighting are cool but sacrificing fps for those is not worth it
Wrinkly 30 Jun @ 9:08am 
4090/12900k/32GB DDR5 playing at 1440p with DLSS Quality and all settings maxed. VSync off in game, on in NVCP and GSync on. No idea what my frame rate is but I don't notice any stutter. I have the game and Windows 11 installed on separate NVMe drives, both WD Black SN850. HAGS is enabled as is REBAR.

One oddity is that I have to hit Play twice before the game launches. The first time it appears to start but then the launcher suddenly closes.

I'm using the new NVAPP 10.0.1 with driver version 551.86.

I also run with HDR even though it burns my eyes.
Last edited by Wrinkly; 30 Jun @ 9:13am
Originally posted by Wrinkly:
4090/12900k/32G

Did you go with the 12900k because of the issues with the 13th and 14th gens? I had a 14900k that degraded and switched to amd.

But to add, I just started up the game the other night and found ray tracing causes some irritating micro stutters on both my 7800x3d system and 7950x3d, both with 4090s. Maybe it's an amd thing.
Last edited by Erium Kross; 14 Jul @ 4:39am
Wrinkly 14 Jul @ 7:42am 
Originally posted by Erium Kross:
Originally posted by Wrinkly:
4090/12900k/32G

Did you go with the 12900k because of the issues with the 13th and 14th gens? I had a 14900k that degraded and switched to amd.

But to add, I just started up the game the other night and found ray tracing causes some irritating micro stutters on both my 7800x3d system and 7950x3d, both with 4090s. Maybe it's an amd thing.

13/14900k weren't out. I picked up the 12900k ~6months after launch as I normally wait to make sure no issues. I won't upgrade again until we hit PCIe 6.
Rexeos 19 Jul @ 7:39am 
In NVidia 3D setting
- turn on V-Sync (Fast setting doesnt work)
- Max frame rate FPS 110 (116 could possibly also work)

in NVidia GSync settings
- "3. Display specific settings - Enable settings..."

In game
- all to Epic
- Vsync - off
- RayTrace - on
- AMD fidelity - Quality --- game is more blurry without it
- DLSS - off
- Frame Gen - on

- HDR - on

- Motion Blurr - off
- Chromatic - off
- Filma grain - off

Restart game. Its not perfect as withot RayTrace, but imo good enough.

U can try also (have it by default all time)
- Power management mode - prefer maximum performance

Coming from 4090, 7800x3D, Samsung 65" Samsung QE65S90C - QD-OLED
Last edited by Rexeos; 19 Jul @ 7:48am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50