Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure

Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure

This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
hgpn  [developer] 16 Jan @ 6:03am
FAQ
What is Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure?
Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure is a game about building automated workshops that create adorable creatures called Sparks. There are a lot of different types of Sparks, and they help you harvest, craft and transport various items. They are also useful when exploring and fighting in a procedurally generated fantasy world.

When will the game come out?
The game has been out in Early Access since April 24th, 2024. We plan to be in Early Access for about a year, but a final release date has not been set yet.

What platforms will the game be on?
During Early Access, the game will be on Windows PC and Steam Deck. There is a demo available on both Playstation 5 and XboxSeriesX|S, but there are currently no plans to release on platforms other than PC before the end of the Early Access phase.

Will the game support more languages in the future?
The Early Access version will start with English, German, French, Simplified Chinese and Japanese. Localization will be an ongoing process during Early Access, so the English version can sometimes be a few weeks ahead, but we also expect to have more languages in the future. So, your purchases and wishlists are a way to vote for your native language.

How long is the game?
This depends a bit on player experience. Our team members needed around 20-35 hours to finish the entire progression. After that, the game is still playable, and we see more and more players who spend more than 100 hours with it.

What game engine was used to create Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure?
The game is being developed in Unreal Engine 5.

Do saves break between updates?
During Early Access we’ll be careful to not break saves. If we have bigger changes that prevent savegame compatibility, we'll keep old branches, so you have the option to continue your old saves without seeing any of the new stuff. You will not be able to continue the saves you've started in the old demo.

I fell in a hole or am stuck somewhere in the terrain. How can I continue to play?
Open the Pause Menu (by pressing Escape on your Keyboard or the Menu/Start button on your Gamepad) and select "Unstuck". This will teleport you back to the village.

Do I need an Epic account to play Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure?
No.

The game uses Epic Online Services (EOS), which offers multi-platform social and game services for developers.

EOS is only used to establish peer-to-peer connections between players. This does not require an Epic account.

The service reads your publicly available Steam ID to connect you to other players. You can join/invite them from your Steam friend list.

The biggest advantage for using EOS is that it will allow us to support cross-play with platforms outside of Steam.

Do I need the Epic Games Launcher to play Oddsparks: An Automation Adventure?
No.

What if I don’t want to play multiplayer?
The game is designed to be enjoyable in both solo and cooperative play.

There is a multiplayer button in the main menu that lets you toggle between “Friends can join”, “Invite only” and "Off".

What does “Multiplayer is in Beta” mean?
Cooperative multiplayer is working in general but is still being tested and fixed.

These steps might help in case of any multiplayer issues:
  1. There have been cases where restarting Steam did solve issues with multiplayer.
  2. If the game becomes laggy, try to go back to the main menu and rejoin the game.
  3. If stuck in a loading screen for a very long time, press ALT+F4 to close the game and try again.
  4. Waiting for players to join one after the other (instead of simultaneously) can be more stable.
  5. In case of any desync/connection issues, restart the application on both the host and the client(s). You can save/load to not lose progress.
  6. Report any bugs, so we can investigate and come up with a fix.

Where should I provide feedback or report bugs?
You can use the sub forums “Technical Issues & Bugs” and “Feedback & Suggestions” to report bugs and provide feedback. You can also send feedback directly from the game by pressing F8. Another great place for discussions is our Discord[discord.com].

Can I customize my controls?
Yes, you can remap your controls in the settings menu. But not all combinations have been tested. If something doesn’t seem to work correctly, let us know and we’ll look into it.

How can I delete paths and buildings?
Paths can be deleted with right clicks in the Path Tool (default key: G), while buildings can be moved or deleted in the Edit Tool (default key: T). When you delete a building, you will get back the construction costs as well as all items and Sparks inside the building.

What do I do when my Sparks get stunned in a fight?
You can use the call back command in aim mode (default: click or hold right mouse button) to wake them up and let them retreat and get out of harm’s way. Hold the call back command for the target circle to increase and call back all Sparks inside.

The amount of items that I have to deliver for a quest doesn’t fit into a NPC chest. Is this a bug?
Nope! Sometimes, the NPCs asks for items that fit exactly the amount of spaces that is in a chest, so first of all make sure that there’s nothing else in there!

Later, you might get asked for an amount even larger than can fit in an NPC’s chest. There is actually something you can unlock at the Quartermaster to help out with this problem.

Is there a way to permanently destroy items?
There are a few methods to destroy items: From a Trash Slot in your inventory up to a Compressor building that can turn excess items into Aether Residue, which then can be used to unlock new decoration and customization options.

Are Aether Shards automatable?
Yes - towards the end of the progression (Tier 5-6).
Until then, there are multiple ways to get to Aether Shards: By defeating enemies - especially stronger ones (which have to be killed anyway for their parts); by finding Ancient Containers; by making Aether Shards out of Aether Pellets and Aether Clumps with a specific workstation you can unlock at some point later in the game.
There is also a Spark Thrower building that can automatically throw Sparks, so you can have them fight respawning enemies to get more Aether Shards over time.

Are items like Quartz, Limestone or Leaves automatable?
Yes! All of this can be unlocked later in the game.

I have problems getting up the mountains, what should I do?
Starting from tier 4, there are various buildings that you can unlock to get up elevations.
What might be a little confusing is that to build a ladder (building), you need a ladder (item). If you have the ladder (building) unlocked, you will already have the recipe to make the item, check out your wood workshop.

Waypoints/infinite resources are super far away, do I have a bad seed?
Part of the game’s puzzle is figuring out how to make long production lines effective. Throughout the progression you will unlock various ways that will help you make even the longest paths efficient.
You can also unlock Small/Medium Waypoints you can manually build on Ancient Bases/Supports.

The quest that I try to get done requires something I don’t have yet. What am I missing?
With each new tier you get new quests from multiple NPCs. Go through them and check the rewards to see what you can unlock and plan your tier accordingly. You can use the Quest Log, or once unlocked, the Quest Overview to get the information you need.
Also, don’t forget to have a look at the monument, you can unlock more and more stuff throughout the progression!

My movement speed seems to be very slow compared to other players, what is wrong?
In some cases, high framerates seem to mess with the movement speed. Try to enable VSync and limit the framerate in the graphics options.

My game crashes or I get a black screen when I boot up the game, how do I fix this?
You might not meet the minimum requirements for the game. There are known issues with DLSS that have been occurring with GPUs of the GTX600/700 series. These GPUs are currently below our minimum system requirements and therefore not officially supported. In the past adding -ngxdisableota as a launch option to the game as a workaround helped some people, but this shouldn't be necessary anymore since patch 0.1.S18572.
If this is not the reason, please report the issue in our section Technical Issues & Bugs with as much detail as you can provide.
Last edited by hgpn; 28 Aug @ 2:01am