Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

View Stats:
What on earth is going on with all the DRM
I was tempted to pick up Ghost Trick on Steam to play on my Steam Deck. Popular DRM was removed recently so that was more of a reason to get it now, apparently some things called Enigma and Obsidium now take its place. Ghost Trick is also on sale now and i wanted to get it. Why on earth is all of this necessary, this is a Single Player game. There shouldn’t be Anti Cheat services running if there isn’t any online functionality whatsoever. Now what am i left with? Do i dig out my 3DS from my closet to play the OG version or use my iPhone to play the OG version
Last edited by Creeper of Doom; 23 Feb @ 4:34pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Capcom went nuts after a street fighter player had nude mods on during a tournament and shoved this new DRM into a bunch of their games.
Well this is not Street Fighter, will tell you that. Capcom should only use this damned thing for games with Online Functionality. Single Player games like these do not need it
Nadath 14 Jan @ 3:46pm 
I'm still mad that I bought this at full price when they removed Denuvo to try to show some support. I didn't catch the addition of the new DRM until recently so it's outside the Steam refund policy window.

Which means I have to give the game a negative review and become more cautious about buying anything on Steam since, unlike GOG, companies keep adding DRM to years old games (hello Ghostwire: Tokyo) and Valve is totally ok with not providing refunds when the EULA is substantially changed from when you first agreed to it.
Originally posted by Creeper of Doom:
Well this is not Street Fighter, will tell you that. Capcom should only use this damned thing for games with Online Functionality. Single Player games like these do not need it

This game had Denuvo. Denuvo was probably only removed when they ended a contract with the creator. They wanted to keep DRM here still.
Only way to stop this stuff from happening is to boycott financially and very publicly call them out in reviews (update previous ones if need be), mass report the games to Steam and make a well deserved public outcry on social media and flood their support until they are forced to listen. Suits don't understand any language other than money.
Is there any way to remove this enigma ♥♥♥♥ off my computer? I dealt with enough of these challenges in the arkham games.
Originally posted by Αη Ιnτellecτual Tsiραr:
Is there any way to remove this enigma ♥♥♥♥ off my computer? I dealt with enough of these challenges in the arkham games.

There may be a way to install an older version of the game via SteamCMD but not sure if Steam blocks that now.
Phillip 18 Jan @ 8:09pm 
Glad I didn't shell money for this overpriced mobile port infested with DRM.
mani 25 Jan @ 3:41am 
Originally posted by Phillip:
Glad I didn't shell money for this overpriced mobile port infested with DRM.

how is this a mobile port when this version isn't even on mobile? lmfao
Denuvo (the most popular high end DRM) recently introduced a subscription fee. Maybe the suits at Capcom, being incompetent at DRM in general (look at all their games still affected by GFWL because they couldn't be bothered to properly fix them), probably just went straight for a security risk cheap Russian solution without a care for their customers' rights. Japan doesn't have fair use laws so their corporate mentality about modding and actually keeping old products running is likely still stuck in the 1960s.
Originally posted by Creeper of Doom:

Not even then lol, mods apparently still work on SFV and MHR
Originally posted by gordonfreeman01:
Denuvo (the most popular high end DRM) recently introduced a subscription fee. Maybe the suits at Capcom, being incompetent at DRM in general (look at all their games still affected by GFWL because they couldn't be bothered to properly fix them), probably just went straight for a security risk cheap Russian solution without a care for their customers' rights. Japan doesn't have fair use laws so their corporate mentality about modding and actually keeping old products running is likely still stuck in the 1960s.

Media Preservation is basically an alien concept in Nippon
Originally posted by Queen HawlSera:
Originally posted by gordonfreeman01:

Good thing the international market has become so important now, even if they don't listen to calm reason they'll be pressured into accepting at some point if their customers are complaining and review bombing titles, ultimately affecting sales.
I saw that Denuvo was gone, and almost added the game to my cart. It was only because I checked this forum that Enigma was revealed to me. Thanks, OP. I don't want to waste my money on something that compromises my security and freedom.
Originally posted by Queen HawlSera:

It used to be in the West too, especially in game development.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 1530 50