OCTOPATH TRAVELER II

OCTOPATH TRAVELER II

View Stats:
heime2003 21 Aug, 2023 @ 9:56pm
good story weak combat
seriously each job has 5-6 attacks (2-3 of them are just passive buff) so every encounter ends up with using same attacks over and over. the part of fun playing rpgs is leveling up characters and gaining new abilities/skills then using them in combat in tactical manner
but this game reduced that to those in 2D rpg era. i thought bravely default 2 was bad for that reason but octopath traveller 2 went further in that direction. why square enix why
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
sorethroat 21 Aug, 2023 @ 10:23pm 
good story? that's so laughable
I agree with your combat points though. What baffles me is the praise it is getting for no reason.
BlueGrunt 25 Aug, 2023 @ 1:39pm 
Coming from Baldur's Gate 3, this is pretty weak. Combat is weak. Conversations are slow. This would be good for 10 year olds though.
heime2003 25 Aug, 2023 @ 2:16pm 
Originally posted by BlueGrunt:
Coming from Baldur's Gate 3, this is pretty weak. Combat is weak. Conversations are slow. This would be good for 10 year olds though.
jrpgs appeal to different audience. but still its weak among them
Oaks 26 Aug, 2023 @ 12:00pm 
Originally posted by BlueGrunt:

Crpgs and Jrpgs are such different genres I don't think it's really fair even to compare them.

For example, Crpgs rely heavily on having the combat log available for you to see exactly how damage and hit percentage and so on are calculated. Since most simulate dice rolls, it is crucial to be able to understand the battle log and see your mistakes. You can't really just pop into the game and do well, you need a fundamental understanding of how the battles work.

Jrpgs, on the other hand, tend to obscure information such as how damage was calculated. Stats are a bit more abstract, and usually the best way to interpret stats is to compare to other party members, since you don't really know the under the hood computations. It's more about increasing stats and working on class specialization and recognizing who to use in what situations.

In terms of plot, Crpgs usually ask you to take an active role in plot development. Decisions are often presented, and these decisions tend to have repercussions later down the line.
Jrpgs generally ask you to get less involved in the plot. They ask you to navigate your party and fight enemies to the next plot point, at which point more story is given to you. This is more of a traditional approach to storytelling, where the story is more or less already written and is just waiting for you t experience it.

This is of course a simplified and generalized explanation of a few points of the two genres. Which one is "better" is purely up to the player.

Personally I enjoy both genres immensely, but if pressed might say jrpgs are preferable to me. Crpgs are great, but definitely require a bit more attention from me, so in the evenings when I want to unwind. I find jrpgs a bit more relaxing.

Just a moment of finger wagging, but you really shouldn't pop into forums for jrpgs and suggest that the games are for 10 year olds. That's just pretty offensive, especially since jrpgs have a huge distribution of audience age. It's a different style of game, and if you don't like it that's fine, just no need to insult the player base.
Paul 12 Jul @ 12:40pm 
So I do not really play JRPGs (only one I finished it FF15) but saw this in gamepass and decided to give it a chance.

I have three hours in it (Temenos) and I have to ask - is that random filler combat (where I can barely walk few steps before getting into combat) like, normal, and is it going to last the entire game?

Because...I find it really boring and interrupting the game? It does not help that so far the combat has been completely devoid of any challenge or tactics or anything interesting really.

Just wondering if I should persevere or not. I do like the music, the graphics, and the story setup of the murder investigation seems ok.
Nibbie 12 Jul @ 8:19pm 
Originally posted by Paul:
So I do not really play JRPGs (only one I finished it FF15) but saw this in gamepass and decided to give it a chance.

I have three hours in it (Temenos) and I have to ask - is that random filler combat (where I can barely walk few steps before getting into combat) like, normal, and is it going to last the entire game?

Because...I find it really boring and interrupting the game? It does not help that so far the combat has been completely devoid of any challenge or tactics or anything interesting really.

Just wondering if I should persevere or not. I do like the music, the graphics, and the story setup of the murder investigation seems ok.

You can reduce the frequency of the random battles, but you can't remove them. They are very common in the genre, going at least as far back as the origins of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. They are the main way you level up and get stronger over the course of the game. The combat is obviously easier if you are still at the start, even more so if you only have the one character, and it does get significantly more challenging later on, though other than some endgame superbosses, I wouldn't call it an especially hard game.
Originally posted by Paul:

combat in JRPGS serves purpose of raising characters levels. rpg in general consists of story and combat. either its good in story or has fun elements in raising characters and make them
stronger. i think this game is master level at neither of them. but good jrpg that can appeal to 2d era rpg fans are rare there days. so the game got rave reviews. btw u can get an item that reduces probability of random encounters with enemy. but i dont think its a good idea because u need decent amount of grinding to face later stage bosses
Last edited by heime2003; 12 Jul @ 9:24pm
la_nague 14 Jul @ 3:06pm 
This game and many other rpgs from japan really need difficulties you can select right at the start.

Most of those games seem to be balanced around lobotomized people and never pose a serious challenge.
Daniel 14 Jul @ 3:49pm 
If you think that most JRPGs weren’t just a 2-3 skill spam then you haven’t played a lot of them.

Even the most highly praised games like Chrono Trigger were like that and let’s not forget the fabled FF7 where you spammed Beta from disc 1 to disc 3.

If you want a complex old school JRPG then try Romancing Saga 3, (Octopath is basically a super-casualized RS) the game is 30 years old but the combat mechanics and inner workings weren’t fully understood until they data mined the game in the 2010s and it’s literally unplayable without a guide and reference sheet.
Last edited by Daniel; 14 Jul @ 4:00pm
Lametta 14 Jul @ 5:55pm 
Just finished the game and found it very underwhelming.
Didnt like the story or the character arcs at least most of em.
Combat was okay but didnt blow me away.
Dont get why this game is so overhyped.
7/10 at best
okeefe80 14 Jul @ 8:22pm 
yup this game sucks bad, its the maps and combat. There is zero exploration, just a main path and couple chest with trash loot scattered around, then you fight some random encounter. played for 24 hours and felt like i did not accomplish anything, recruited all the players did a few quests, at that point you see the writing on the wall that there are zero surprises coming and you already seen all the game has to offer despite not even being close to finishing it.
seaston 15 Jul @ 10:00pm 
Game has an overwhelming positive rating. Apparently there's many people that do enjoy the game.
The main issue is the boost system. Combat otherwise works really well in the game, but the boost system is too central to everything you do.

Partitio is my pick of strongest character because of this issue; he can load up on BP's at the start of every single turn. He can start with an extra BP, and he can have his latent power meter start full every battle. This means he can send off 3 BP's to someone on round 1, then do it again on round 2, and still have some to give on round 3. Since BP's add an extra attack each time for standard attacks (and even for some skills), you end up breaking every enemy constantly so long as you have a good spectrum of attack types.

The issue is the boost system... it becomes the go-to mechanic to super-charge every single time because you can break enemies constantly with it, and it's the only way to access Divine skills. BP's are simply too important.
Originally posted by okeefe80:
yup this game sucks bad, its the maps and combat. There is zero exploration, just a main path and couple chest with trash loot scattered around, then you fight some random encounter. played for 24 hours and felt like i did not accomplish anything, recruited all the players did a few quests, at that point you see the writing on the wall that there are zero surprises coming and you already seen all the game has to offer despite not even being close to finishing it.

Not going to push your opinion down, but if you think this game has zero surprises... could you tell a game that has even 1? I am honestly not wanting to argue with you, but want to hear some recommendations, since, oh boy this game had so many later on, that if you know better I LOVE to hear about those!
Zelph 7 Aug @ 5:16pm 
Originally posted by Aluminum Elite Master:
The main issue is the boost system. Combat otherwise works really well in the game, but the boost system is too central to everything you do.

Partitio is my pick of strongest character because of this issue; he can load up on BP's at the start of every single turn. He can start with an extra BP, and he can have his latent power meter start full every battle. This means he can send off 3 BP's to someone on round 1, then do it again on round 2, and still have some to give on round 3. Since BP's add an extra attack each time for standard attacks (and even for some skills), you end up breaking every enemy constantly so long as you have a good spectrum of attack types.

The issue is the boost system... it becomes the go-to mechanic to super-charge every single time because you can break enemies constantly with it, and it's the only way to access Divine skills. BP's are simply too important.
The boost system is WHAT makes the combat good. Do you really want another jrpg where it has nothing unique at all? Can easily go back and play something like any of the final fantasy games(no shade, good series) if you want something so vanilla. Exploiting the combat and abilities is what makes it interesting, rather then just another jrpg.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50