Pax Dei

Pax Dei

This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Imparfecto 4 Jun @ 1:57pm
Some Bits of Info to Help Understand EA Better
Seen a few comments posted on the forums where people have wrongly conflated a few things, or misinterpreted it to be something it is not, so I wanted to just bullet point a few things to clear up confusion.

1. Early Access for Pax Dei means Early Access to the current Alpha development. The game is not complete by any stretch, and still has a lot of features and content to incorporate, as well as polishing existing features.
If Alpha testing is not something that interests you, then put the game on your wish list and revisit it at a later date.

2. The Early Access packages are for Early Access, and includes the Box Cost for the full game. The final monetisation for the full game is yet to be determined, though is likely to be a single box cost (covered by the EA purchase) and a tiered subscription-based model (depending on how many plots you want to have active). Developers have repeatedly said that they are not going to be able to properly assess the price until closer to full release, and do not want to give any empty promises.
The Early Access will not include subscription, but rather it will just be a single purchase which will last for the entire duration of Early Access and the box cost of the full game when released.

3. Some things from your Founder package will carry through to full release; any Founder recipes you unlock as part of your purchase (all the items you see in the Founder packs are craftable via a recipe), and the character slot limit, will both carry through.
However plot quantity will not carry through, as the plot quantity is likely to be the determining factor for the different tiered subscriptions (if that is indeed the model they go ahead with).

4. The plots are large, and plentiful with space. A few people have treated plots as if they are a "pay 2 win" feature, but that's not correct. Very little of the total plot space is taken up with crafting stations; the remaining space is more so for aesthetic purposes than anything. Remember that not only can you build wide, but you can also build tall. You can also join your plot with a friend or a clan you're a member of to create a larger communal space, and set permissions accordingly.

5. More plots does not equate to advantage. On one plot alone, even using a fraction of the space and filling it with craft stations, a player would struggle to keep up and continuously fill stations with the required harvested materials - in effect, most of the time they'd be sitting there empty waiting for you to input resources.
As for other crafting stations, they require your character to be active during the craft, so you are limited to one station at any given time.

There's not so much activity on the Steam forums, most people tend to discuss the game in the Discord Server, so if you have any questions pop into the Discord and ask; someone will be able to give you an answer as it is probably something that has already been addressed by the devs themselves.
Last edited by Imparfecto; 4 Jun @ 2:08pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 40 comments
Joreel 4 Jun @ 2:40pm 
It does sound intriguing to be honest.
This is a very good summary by Imparfecto.
Pompous | Mainframe  [developer] 5 Jun @ 4:18am 
This is good.
excellent summary, thanks Imparfacto :)
I dont understand what says in 2 point, if i purchase the game now in EA i have the game (same content i have in EA) in full release without more costs right???
Originally posted by VirulillasESP:
I dont understand what says in 2 point, if i purchase the game now in EA i have the game (same content i have in EA) in full release without more costs right???

What is offered in any of the given EA packs is applicable to the EA duration (it lasts the entire EA duration, basically).

When the game leaves EA and does a full release (however many years away that may be), then you will carry over three things:
1. your character slot limit,
2. your Founder recipes, and
3. the box cost.
The plot quantity doesn't carry over to the full release, instead you will have the option to select how many plots you wish to have active and that is likely to determine what tier of subscription you have in the full version.

There won't be any subscription during EA, and the developers have made reference to a potential sweetheart transition deal for those who had purchased an EA package when the game does fully release (although no specifics on what that includes right now).

Hopefully that makes more sense.
Originally posted by Imparfecto:

What is offered in any of the given EA packs is applicable to the EA duration (it lasts the entire EA duration, basically).

When the game leaves EA and does a full release (however many years away that may be), then you will carry over three things:
3. the box cost.
The plot quantity doesn't carry over to the full release, instead you will have the option to select how many plots you wish to have active and that is likely to determine what tier of subscription you have in the full version.

There won't be any subscription during EA, and the developers have made reference to a potential sweetheart transition deal for those who had purchased an EA package when the game does fully release (although no specifics on what that includes right now).

Thanks for the answer, but the thing i want to know is if i purchase the game now, i can play in full release without any subscription? or i have to pay more anyway?
Snow 5 Jun @ 1:05pm 

3. the box cost.

Thanks for the answer, but the thing i want to know is if i purchase the game now, i can play in full release without any subscription? or i have to pay more anyway?
Yes, you will have to pay more on full release.

It will require some form of subscription to play it actively with a plot, as the plots are quite resource hungry with the way it is set up in the open world.

If you wanted to take a break from the game then you could stop your subscription, though the plot would deactivate and any building in that area would become "free" and gradually decay over time (this is how the world keeps itself relatively clean from those who permanently leave the game).

No price point has been confirmed as to how much a basic subscription will be, or any of the different tiers, because the developers aren't going to properly know the overhead costs until they can make a better assessment closer to the full release when there is much more content included in the game. So the reason they don't give a price today is because it wouldn't be accurate and they don't want to give empty promises.

In terms of playing the game without any subscription or plot, I don't know if that's a mechanism they will support at some point, but it's probably unlikely.
If you wanted to take a break from the game then you could stop your subscription, though the plot would deactivate and any building in that area would become "free" and gradually decay over time (this is how the world keeps itself relatively clean from those who permanently leave the game).
This description made me think to Ark Survival.
But in Ark I didn't payed a subscription or money for size of base.
And in MMOs where I interrupt playing and return later, progress is saved, to encourage players to return.
Now that your post was pinned, you can edit the first post to make it clear that players lose their buildings.
Server wipes are mentioned too on the store page, several of them:

"Throughout Early Access, we plan to expand the game in terms of content and systems. Major updates will require us to wipe the game and start over. Pax Dei’s Early Access is scheduled to last until at least June 2025, possibly longer."

You say that

4. The plots are large, and plentiful with space. A few people have treated plots as if they are a "pay 2 win" feature, but that's not correct. Very little of the total plot space is taken up with crafting stations; the remaining space is more so for aesthetic purposes than anything.

5. More plots does not equate to advantage.

Then why these aesthetic buildings are wiped?
Why at the transition to full release players have to build them again if they continue with a subscription which gives them the same amount of plots?
Pompous | Mainframe  [developer] 6 Jun @ 2:37am 
Originally posted by Menzagitat:
Why at the transition to full release players have to build them again if they continue with a subscription which gives them the same amount of plots?

There are technical reasons: e.g. we will be working on the world, and if a building that was built on a level plain would end up on a slope or a lake, that would be impossible to handle well.
On top of that we want to everyone to start on a level playing field when the full game launches.
Originally posted by Pompous_MF:

There are technical reasons: e.g. we will be working on the world, and if a building that was built on a level plain would end up on a slope or a lake, that would be impossible to handle well.
On top of that we want to everyone to start on a level playing field when the full game launches.
How do you handle server merges when player population drops?
Pompous | Mainframe  [developer] 6 Jun @ 3:18am 

How do you handle server merges when player population drops?

We are thinking about that, no info to be shared on it yet
Last edited by Pompous | Mainframe; 6 Jun @ 3:57am
Dargol 6 Jun @ 3:56am 
I'm really interested in this game but the requirement of an active subscription after the final release doesn't sound very tempting to me.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 40 comments
Per page: 1530 50