SILENT HILL 2

SILENT HILL 2

Apparently, the Alone in the Dark remake failed and the developers closed, a bad sign for horror games?
Could this be a bad sign for horror games in general?

Or was the Alone in the Dark remake just that bad that they can’t benefit from the survival horror recent popularity?

Anyways, I hope this doesn’t mean that this game will enter into an uneasy landscape, maybe the game should be delayed until gamers are ready for more horror games?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
The problem with that game is too much text and letters to read, and not enough things happened.
ingi 9 Jul @ 2:37am 
I haven't really played the newer Alone in the Dark titles. I got Alone in the Dark from 2008 and had to download all the patches from the internet to get it to work, including German language editions.

I got this title again for my Playstation 2, and now the newer Alone in the Dark games are good?
No, horror games are fine.

Devs need to handle their budget more, games in general, but especially horror.

Horror is already niche unless you’re Resident Evil, so putting insane budget on “realism” is already like removing a tire from a car and expecting it to win a race.

Go for an art style first, if that happens to be realism, then don’t put that much into pointless things like character pores or excessive RTX lighting.

If a game like the Original SH2 or 3 released today, with the same exact graphical style, it would STILL become a cult classic regardless or looking “””””dated”””””.

While the 2 Remake, with all its “”””graphical improvements”””” will probably just be a laughing footnote since it doesn’t get what made the original such a timeless thing
Last edited by mdesaleah; 9 Jul @ 5:19am
ingi 9 Jul @ 5:50am 
So when it comes to the different reactions on YouTube etc. It's more of a mixed bag, some are happy, others say no, it doesn't have to be that way.
Maximizer 10 Jul @ 10:46am 
Horror video game genre is niche, nothing can be done about it. Investing tens of millions in one horror video game is, economically speaking, a bad idea. That's what killed dozen of perspective projects. Just thinking about how much has been cancelled through years lone makes me shudder from bitterness. So it's up to indies and/or AA devs/pubs to put that creativity to work and see what comes out.
Maximizer 10 Jul @ 10:47am 
Originally posted by mdesaleah:

Horror is already niche unless you’re Resident Evil, so putting insane budget on “realism” is already like removing a tire from a car and expecting it to win a race.

Go for an art style first, if that happens to be realism, then don’t put that much into pointless things like character pores or excessive RTX lighting.

If a game like the Original SH2 or 3 released today, with the same exact graphical style, it would STILL become a cult classic regardless or looking “””””dated”””””.

While the 2 Remake, with all its “”””graphical improvements”””” will probably just be a laughing footnote since it doesn’t get what made the original such a timeless thing
SIGNALIS. Instaclassic. Ofc there was some budget, but no multi million one. Pure celebration of creativity and correct inspiration.
Maximizer 10 Jul @ 10:49am 
Originally posted by ingi:
So when it comes to the different reactions on YouTube etc. It's more of a mixed bag, some are happy, others say no, it doesn't have to be that way.
It has no AITD spirit. Seriously. I bought it and refunded it within less than an hour. New Nightmare stands tall, unchallenged.
mdesaleah 10 Jul @ 11:49am 
Originally posted by Maximizer:
Originally posted by mdesaleah:

SIGNALIS. Instaclassic. Ofc there was some budget, but no multi million one. Pure celebration of creativity and correct inspiration.
Signalis is an easy cult classic.

Already is, but I only see that being clearer as time passes.

Don’t need the most realistic graphics and budget to make that happen
Well, Alone In The Dark shot their own goodwill when they started banning people for critical comments and observations.

It takes a long time to build a customer base. It takes a moment to lose them.
Maximizer 11 Jul @ 11:32am 
Originally posted by THE VERY REVEREND MISTER BONK:
Well, Alone In The Dark shot their own goodwill when they started banning people for critical comments and observations.

What, seriously, banning ppl left and right?? Somehow I missed those news...

When it first released yes. Bans handed out, discussions deleted. That's why I decided not to buy it myself.

Invader Studios made the same mistake with Sandcastle and that bombed too.
Last edited by THE VERY REVEREND MISTER BONK; 11 Jul @ 11:34am
Maximizer 11 Jul @ 11:35am 
When it first released yes. Bans handed out, discussions deleted. Invader Studios made the same mistake with Sandcastle and that bombed too.
I mean, what those studios think when they do it? And with what? Damn.
When it first released yes. Bans handed out, discussions deleted. Invader Studios made the same mistake with Sandcastle and that bombed too.
I mean, what those studios think when they do it? And with what? Damn.
Taking the paying customer for granted. Always a huge mistake.
Zeikar 11 Jul @ 11:49am 
Incoming deletions and bans once we get closer to the October release date?
They'll probably delete all the related topics saying "ugly" and "woke"
and probably delete all posts by users telling the truth such as Tracido.
Last edited by Zeikar; 11 Jul @ 11:49am
Originally posted by Zeikar:
Incoming deletions and bans once we get closer to the October release date?
They'll probably delete all the related topics saying "ugly" and "woke"
and probably delete all posts by users telling the truth such as Tracido.
Bloober are pretty good at letting people say what they want so it would surprise me.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
Per page: 1530 50