Age of Empires II (2013)

Age of Empires II (2013)

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
AoE II:HD - Common Issues
-Hey everyone, hopefully this post will help you resolve any common technical problems you're having. Feel free to start a new thread if your problem isn't on this list.

Stuck On Validatin Subscriptions
Quick fix: Hit control+c on keyboard.

Permanent fix (thanks Terminator):

Start the game but hit Workshop instead of Play in the Laucher, then agree with the Terms & Conditions of the Steam Workshop.

Error Subcode=3 / White Screen In-Game
This is an indication that the graphics chip is not dx9.0c compatible.
Please refer to your graphic card provider's website to ensure that the card is compatible with the system requirements.

No Lobbies Showing or Cannot Connect to Any Lobbies

AoE II:HD uses Steam's multiplayer tech. Double-check you are forwarding ports:

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive
UDP 4380
UDP 3478 (Outbound)
UDP 4379 (Outbound)

Window's XP
It is not a supported OS for AOE II HD anymore. There is a saved version that you can use though.
  • Right-click on AOE II HD in your Steam library
  • Click on "properties".
  • Click on the "betas" tab.
  • Use the dropdown to select "last win XP build" and you should be able to launch the game again.
Note that this build is not forward compatible with newer versions. This means if you want to play multiplayer, you can only play with other users on this build.

Launcher / In-Game Resolution Problems
If you are experiencing white boxes when viewing the game launcher:

This is because you are using a nonstandard DPI:
- Right click on the Desktop
- Click Screen resolution
- Click the link "Make text larger or smaller"
- Select either 100% (recommended!) or 150%
- Click Apply

If you are experiencing a zoomed-in screen resolution:
In-Game ignores DPI scaling with patch 2.1
- Open the Library view of your Steam client
- Right click on Age of Empires II: HD Edition
- Select Properties
- Select the Local Files tab
- Select Browse Local Files…
- Right click AoK HD.exe
- Select Properties
- Select the Compatibility tab
- Click ‘Disable display scaling on high DPI settings’ (a check mark should appear)
- Click OK
Last edited by -Dare Devil/x/; 24 Dec, 2018 @ 2:02pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
yekeyeke 22 Feb, 2018 @ 1:42am 
Please add the CHATBUG: Once in game, press ENTER to chat and game automatically crashes. weird bug considering it does not always happen, but does always take rating away.
Zezoffmaister™ 22 Feb, 2018 @ 1:16pm 
Originally posted by Ya Mon:
Please add the CHATBUG: Once in game, press ENTER to chat and game automatically crashes. weird bug considering it does not always happen, but does always take rating away.

many people have this problem! I also
Last edited by Zezoffmaister™; 22 Feb, 2018 @ 1:16pm
yekeyeke 25 Feb, 2018 @ 1:12pm 
I have solved it for me, unsubscribe from all subscriptions of workshop, oneof the Ozhara ones was making it crash
yekeyeke 2 Mar, 2018 @ 12:55pm 
I have solved it for me, unsubscribe from all subscriptions of workshop, oneof the Ozhara ones was making it crash

Chatbug is back, impossible to play multiplayer
TOASTY TOAST 2 Mar, 2018 @ 2:45pm 

Chatbug is back, impossible to play multiplayer

Hey, Ya Mon! I'm so sorry you're experiencing this crash. Which language are you playing in? Is there any specific information I should know to be able to reproduce the issue? Doesn't matter if a detail seems trivial, it might be very helpful. Thanks!
yekeyeke 3 Mar, 2018 @ 1:02am 
I tried in Spanish and English language. All i know is that when I press ENTER in game it automatically crashes.
Zezoffmaister™ 4 Mar, 2018 @ 2:52am 
I have the same thing, I play in English. Nothing helps. Sometimes the crash with "shift + tab" and inviting a friend
yekeyeke 4 Mar, 2018 @ 4:11am 
I uninstalled all internet cache on steam and validated all data of game and now its working. weird bug.
Road to A+ 1 May, 2018 @ 6:43am 
I get a massive FPS drop in multiplayer, all my units move in slow motion
Alain Magnan 18 May, 2018 @ 6:21pm 
game will unexprectedly quit on me. thus far it is only in scenario editor. have not tested in other modes. not sure whats up but despite this game not being as advanced as some others i own its always been a favoritw.
Tempires 19 May, 2018 @ 3:22am 
Originally posted by Alain Magnan:
game will unexprectedly quit on me. thus far it is only in scenario editor. have not tested in other modes. not sure whats up but despite this game not being as advanced as some others i own its always been a favoritw.

what you were doing? you can make game crash in many ways scenario editor .
Maine Cheldan 20 May, 2018 @ 5:46am 
I still have the "stuck on validating subscriptions" issue.

I went on the workshop tab and agreed to the terms of the workshop, and then I tried to launch the game (permanent fix). It didn't work, the "validating subscriptions" window was still here, so I tried the quick fix.

Either way, the "validating subscriptions" window still wouldn't go.

The audio works fine, but neither the Ensemble studios nor the Intro cutscene appear, instead I am still stuck on the subscriptions window until I click somewhere (which gets me directly to the main menu).

Is there something else I can try to solve this ? Did I do somenthing wrong ?
-Dare Devil/x/ 20 May, 2018 @ 11:52am 
Originally posted by Maine Cheldan:
I still have the "stuck on validating subscriptions" issue.

I went on the workshop tab and agreed to the terms of the workshop, and then I tried to launch the game (permanent fix). It didn't work, the "validating subscriptions" window was still here, so I tried the quick fix.

Either way, the "validating subscriptions" window still wouldn't go.

The audio works fine, but neither the Ensemble studios nor the Intro cutscene appear, instead I am still stuck on the subscriptions window until I click somewhere (which gets me directly to the main menu).

Is there something else I can try to solve this ? Did I do somenthing wrong ?

-Do you have any launch options in your Steam game parameters?
Maine Cheldan 21 May, 2018 @ 10:08am 
Originally posted by -Dare Devil/x/:
Do you have any launch options in your Steam game parameters?
I've checked the Steam game parameters, and I haven't set any perticular launch options. Do I have to add some ?
Last edited by Maine Cheldan; 21 May, 2018 @ 10:09am
Alain Magnan 22 May, 2018 @ 8:04pm 
Originally posted by Tempires:
Originally posted by Alain Magnan:

what you were doing? you can make game crash in many ways scenario editor .
i was only testing a ghand crafted scenario. nothing out of the ordinary. as i stated its only in scenario editor and i cant say ive done anything crazy. i dont even use ludikris size maps.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 1530 50