The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Keytee Tamira 2 Apr @ 6:16am
I realized WHY Morrowind is great.
I noticed that in this game, you can 100% ignore story... or any other quest.

I mean, sure, you can do this in Skyrim too... but it's packed with semi-cinematic stuff that you're expected to watch. Like stuff you see once you enter Solitude for first time. Or Doors that you can open only WITH a Key. And you can't reach the top of Throat Mountain right away because there's a huge story barrier.

While Morrowind... it can be played like a pure sanbox. You can just ignore story and quests. You can just explore and get strong enough on your own and then fight Dagoth Ur outside of story.

And this made me realize WHY people loved this game back in 2003. WHY people hold it in high regard even now. WHY people say it's better than Skyrim.
Because it was a huge sandbox game. Pure freedom.

It's a role-playing game... where you can ignore the story, not touch any single story quest... and still beat the final boss!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 149 comments
psychotron666 2 Apr @ 7:28am 
It also doesn't hold your hand or insult your intelligence/protect the player from their own stupidity.

If you want to kill quest important NPCs and live in a doomed world or sell quest items, you can.
Originally posted by psychotron666:
It also doesn't hold your hand or insult your intelligence/protect the player from their own stupidity.

If you want to kill quest important NPCs and live in a doomed world or sell quest items, you can.
And while it says so, it's never doomed. You still can complete main story as long as you don't kill the "Big Mechanic Spider-Man" (Calling him that way to avoid spoiling him), so you can get two specific weapons to destroy certain something in final boss room.
Tho... even without that you can still complete Morrowind story, you can just use the mechanics to the fullest and get strong enough to do it with BARE HANDS.

I mean, even though i repeat myself, it's an RPG where you can complete the story... while ignoring a story! And ignoring not in "Not paying attention to dialogue" way, but in "Not starting any quest"

This is freakin' insane level of replayability.
Nebgama 6 Apr @ 3:25pm 
Well skyrim is a linear on rails game it sucks, Oblivion too Oblivion only gets a pass for its lore because its good.

Morrowind was peak game, the franchise is just about ready to go to bed. The lore is getting worse and the games are even worse.
Nebgama 6 Apr @ 3:26pm 
I don't even own skyrim i played enough of a cracked version when it first came out to know that it sucked so i never bothered buying it.

Eso is just dolmains over and over gtfo out of here with that ♥♥♥♥♥♥ arse combat too.
Mentos 7 Apr @ 1:04am 
This is what I missed in Oblivion and Skyrim. Both of those games leave any role playing types with a sense of urgency to focus on the story. Morrowind is just like „ok, go play the game and come back later“, without alluding to anything that is going on, so you feel almost completely free.

My first playthrough of morrowind when the game came out was a blast because of this. I had joined nearly every faction and explored most of the game before I started worrying about the story. Hell I actually fought Daggoth Ur at one point while exploring the mountain on a whim. I had no idea he had anything to do with the story, even after he wouldnt die and fell into the magma. I left him like that and resumed exploring.
Originally posted by Mentos:
This is what I missed in Oblivion and Skyrim. Both of those games leave any role playing types with a sense of urgency to focus on the story. Morrowind is just like „ok, go play the game and come back later“, without alluding to anything that is going on, so you feel almost completely free.

My first playthrough of morrowind when the game came out was a blast because of this. I had joined nearly every faction and explored most of the game before I started worrying about the story. Hell I actually fought Daggoth Ur at one point while exploring the mountain on a whim. I had no idea he had anything to do with the story, even after he wouldnt die and fell into the magma. I left him like that and resumed exploring.

Yeah, it's even more freeform than Breath of the Wild.
Morrowind's gameplay is bad, like truly terrible, but it has the best story and rpg elements of the modern ES games.
Originally posted by Nebgama:
I don't even own skyrim i played enough of a cracked version when it first came out to know that it sucked so i never bothered buying it.

Eso is just dolmains over and over gtfo out of here with that ♥♥♥♥♥♥ arse combat too.

Skyrim is a good enough game in its own right. Imo it's superior to oblivion in almost every way, oblivion is the weak link in the modern franchise.

Skyrim at least took some steps back in the right direction from oblivion.
Nebgama 8 Apr @ 7:59am 
Yeah its better than Oblivion with its combat but Its still a dumbed down version on rails basically a action rpg that has a ceiling and caters to a select crowd.

People like Morrowind because its an open game the reason why its great to people is because you can do real magic and combat not gated combat.

What was the first thing that people said coming from Morrowind to Oblivion? That is right the combat is sht.
Nebgama 8 Apr @ 8:35am 
The later games took a hit to your ability to alter reality, in Oblivion same with Skyrim. Morrowind is like peak gameplay if they kept that same model but improved it the later games would be much better. They both have weak theorycrafting and the PC's ability to do anything is locked in on rails.

This logic is going to fit the crowd that think Morrowind is cheaty because its rules should be more defined. Its rose colored glasses each way but imo Morrowind allows you to be an ultra powerful being because the reality that the player is inside is a powerful one not one that is linear on rails with arbitrary rules. There is no arguing that the games got dumbed down after Morrowind.

Powerful magic concepts in the lore are often things that never existed until that one person showed everyone else. If any of the games had chim as a Mechanic i would say Morrowind is the closest out of all of them. In fact some of the things that are possible in Morrowind are right up there and bordering chim imo.

Lesser advanced PC would see these things as cheating or broken but that is what chim can be at times breaking the rules to get a skewed advantage over the other party.
Last edited by Nebgama; 8 Apr @ 8:40am
Originally posted by Nebgama:
The later games took a hit to your ability to alter reality, in Oblivion same with Skyrim. Morrowind is like peak gameplay if they kept that same model but improved it the later games would be much better. They both have weak theorycrafting and the PC's ability to do anything is locked in on rails.

This logic is going to fit the crowd that think Morrowind is cheaty because its rules should be more defined. Its rose colored glasses each way but imo Morrowind allows you to be an ultra powerful being because the reality that the player is inside is a powerful one not one that is linear on rails with arbitrary rules. There is no arguing that the games got dumbed down after Morrowind.

Powerful magic concepts in the lore are often things that never existed until that one person showed everyone else. If any of the games had chim as a Mechanic i would say Morrowind is the closest out of all of them. In fact some of the things that are possible in Morrowind are right up there and bordering chim imo.

Lesser advanced PC would see these things as cheating or broken but that is what chim can be at times breaking the rules to get a skewed advantage over the other party.

Yeah, those "Challenge-seekers"...

They don't like when game becomes "Too easy" as you level up, because to them, game should provide "Constant challenge"...

While i find game becoming "Too easy" as your progress... as a sign of progress. It makes game feel like real adventure, as you can feel yourself becoming stronger.
theo 14 Apr @ 11:14pm 
In this kind of game you can create challenges yourself. Want challenge - just play as an orc mage or monk or something, restrict looting, the options are endless. True freedom
Djeeza 15 Apr @ 1:27pm 
Was the atmosphere for me, the ambiant, the sound, the music, the noise in the background, most definitly the sky, definitly not the combat

Was the first game like that i playd too, the wonder and wander was crazy, maybe gamer remember it cause it was the first experience that strong

Game with a soul, its rare even today even if they have more money and accessibilities

edit : i didnt read all your sheet tho : p just posted mine cause the title bait me
Last edited by Djeeza; 15 Apr @ 1:31pm
Nebgama 15 Apr @ 2:22pm 
Morrowind is not easy though, Morrowind is an oxymoron Its only easy to people that know how to play the flip side is that the game is extremely hard to players that don't.

The game is very punishing to someone who does not know or to someone that sucks.
Djeeza 15 Apr @ 9:25pm 
When you hit left clik and your Sword keep missing his face, good laughin Time x D
Definitly remember that too
Last edited by Djeeza; 15 Apr @ 9:25pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 149 comments
Per page: 1530 50