STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

View Stats:
Before I buy. Does it have the same difficulty as the original?
Saw a couple of videos of people killing enemies in one hit. Did they make the game extra easy, or am I able to play the same difficulty as the original PS1 version?

Thanks.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
I mean, you still have the SO difficulties that existed back then. Earth, galaxy, universe and etc. If you're over geared and you buff your stats, you WILL be super powerful.
The game is overall a fair bit easier, arguably, but this is largely down to this version providing some solid improvements to the crafting system and thus opening up the player's options greatly. Besides, the original game wasn't really hard, just needlessly obtuse. At the end of the day, it's still a simplistic action RPG that's all about doing as much damage to the enemy as possible while reducing the damage taken, or mitigating it with healing. There are theoretically more complex mechanics and strategies, but they don't really get the space to manifest themselves.
Last edited by Second Duke Revier; 10 Jul @ 8:57pm
DinoSp 10 Jul @ 8:36pm 
Appreciate the replies.
Pheonid 13 Jul @ 1:46pm 
if you know what you are doing, this game will be SIGNIFICANTLY easier, due to crafting changes, how you encounter enemies, and a few other features, even on chaos it takes a lot less time to progress than i remember it in the past being, but its hard to say how much of that is due to the remake's changes and how much is because i still remember most everything about how to play this game.
Neosiotype 13 Jul @ 11:59pm 
So far for me I thought Galaxy was too easy and wished I picked Universe.

Even if you don't take advantage of the specialty systems it's easy to overgrind if you backtrack like me. Will definitely be mindful of how I want to play next playthrough.
Last edited by Neosiotype; 14 Jul @ 12:00am
Originally posted by Neosiotype:
So far for me I thought Galaxy was too easy and wished I picked Universe.

Even if you don't take advantage of the specialty systems it's easy to overgrind if you backtrack like me. Will definitely be mindful of how I want to play next playthrough.

I think you can change difficulty any time you want to. At least, I was able to.
Neosiotype 14 Jul @ 12:37am 
Didn't know that.

Last Star Ocean game I played was 4 on PS3. Seems you can freely change it in Divine Force too from what I'm reading.

Though imo it's weird the difficulty is listed on the save file if you can freely change it.
Last edited by Neosiotype; 14 Jul @ 12:41am
Renebi 14 Jul @ 2:57am 
I'd definitely recommend universe if you're a veteran of the PS1 or PSP version, it's not near as nuts as universe on those versions are for a variety of reasons but its definitely a reasonable challenge that demands you take advantage of most things

I haven't tried Chaos yet but I'm guessing it's probably more like the old Universe was
Ranzera 14 Jul @ 4:49am 
I kinda feel like the player is a bit power creeped vs the PS1 version. I ran through it on Galaxy and it kinda reminded me of Earth on the PS1.
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50