Monster Hunter Wilds

Monster Hunter Wilds

Tenz 30 Jun @ 7:30pm
WIlds DRM Appreciation Thread
I would like to make a thread for the silent majority of steam community members that enjoy DRM because we buy our games on steam so DRM doesn't really affect us. Capcom deserves to protect their products.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
Soren 30 Jun @ 9:10pm 
I'm going to make my post here based on general denuvo arguments and not just about the bait topic made to make people angry.

It's more like indifference is the reason everyone tolerates Denuvo. People just don't care about it because it's hard to feel it's effects (beyond the placebo effect that some people act under). It's like with AI and how it often commits copyright infringement or plagiarism. The internet cares about plagiarists conceptually. Those who do it are hated and harassed. Because they are stealing a lot of value of those they copy off of. But what about someone who takes 1 penny from a million people? Almost no one cares because it's just a penny.

That's Denuvo. It's 1 cent being stolen from you. Some people think it's secretly 10$ because they're certain their bad rid would run the game at 10x the frames if it just weren't for that pesky DRM. But it's usually just a penny in most people's eyes (1-3 FPS).
Tenz 1 Jul @ 5:44am 
I'm glad you have joined us in the DRM appreciation thread, capcom deserves to protect their product. Also its not a bad thing that they will remove all the cheater mods also.
Amaterasu 1 Jul @ 6:22am 
I'm going to take up a nuanced stance here, which is going to make me the enemy of everyone here on the internet because "nuance" in their minds is just fence sitting. I see nothing inherently wrong with DRM. What I have a problem with is DRMs with engineered failure points(GFWL, Starforce, SecuROM, Denuvo).

Claiming that there's a silent majority on your side is a fallacy. Same with indirectly calling people who have problems with Denuvo pirates. You can check my steam account. Almost every game on there, I bought with my own money. The others were gifts or free in the case of three games in particular that I felt were novel enough to take a look at.

The truth of the matter is that there isn't a silent majority of people who enjoy DRM. It's a Loud Minority of people who enjoy DRM. Just like there's a Loud Minority of people who hate DRM of all forms. The true silent majority of people are those who just don't care and want to game.

My ideal DRM solution would be for the game to require a singular check, ever. None of this 2 week authentication crap. Just one check that says, "Yep, you bought the game" and that copy is tied to your account, so that no matter what you do to your PC, it doesn't try to use one of your "installations" because swapping out a single stick of RAM made it think your computer is completely new.

But again, no one's going to listen to the fact that I'm only against certain forms of DRM because I believe they treat paying customers as criminals, but at the same time... I don't hate DRM as a whole. Why? Because I'm not taking a hardline stance either which way and that means that I'm somehow on the other side of the "Us vs Them" argument.
Capcom shouldnt be updating old games with weird drm for no reason, that doesn't protect their game and it's just disrespecting people that paid for it
Last edited by sumolagann; 1 Jul @ 6:28pm
Soren 1 Jul @ 7:37pm 
Originally posted by sumolagann:
Capcom shouldnt be updating old games with weird drm for no reason, that doesn't protect their game and it's just disrespecting people that paid for it
I think the really bad thing about it is the game has long since been out. You aren't giving consumers a choice to avoid it if it's added post launch. In this sense, the consumer is being blindsided by the decision.

Adding DRM later after a game has already released and been bought is like when companies make a game P2W after it launches. To avoid the negative PR of launching with P2W in most instances. Call of Duty games do it. Heck even Capcom sorta did it with the Resident Evil 4 remake. They had those P2W upgrade tickets, but they waited like 2 or 4 weeks after launch to patch them in.
Tenz 7 Jul @ 8:01am 
I'm just so happy there will be DRM on this game to stop cheaters and all those weird mod people that just want to install mods to cheat at the game. Gonna sleep real good knowing Capcom is going to protect their assets and protect us the customer.
As long as DRM is clean implemented and not like Dragons Dogma or some older Yakuza games, nobody cares.

Just for the record neither Denuvo nor Enigma nor anti cheat has stopped people modding and cheating in Dragons Dogma 2 or MH Rise od MH Iceborne. And I talk of increased drop rates or other gameplay affecting stuff.

But I see this community is very special - special chellenged.
The only thing I disagree on is supporting all DRMs in games. There are good DRMs out there, but there are some, such as Enigma, that only harm games. Rise has Enigma, which makes it unplayable for a lot of people.

The problem most people have with DRMs isn’t related to anti-cheat or pirating, but its overall impact on performance and Capcom’s refusal to fix the issue. They’re practically doubling down by adding DRM to games that didn’t have it initially.
Last edited by Throngler the Fondler; 7 Jul @ 9:06am
Pseudomonarchiadaiymo (Banned) 7 Jul @ 11:07am 
Originally posted by Tenz:
I'm glad you have joined us in the DRM appreciation thread, capcom deserves to protect their product. Also its not a bad thing that they will remove all the cheater mods also.
drm doesnt stop mods
Pseudomonarchiadaiymo (Banned) 7 Jul @ 11:08am 
Originally posted by Louis Cypher:
As long as DRM is clean implemented and not like Dragons Dogma or some older Yakuza games, nobody cares.

Just for the record neither Denuvo nor Enigma nor anti cheat has stopped people modding and cheating in Dragons Dogma 2 or MH Rise od MH Iceborne. And I talk of increased drop rates or other gameplay affecting stuff.

But I see this community is very special - special chellenged.
lol
Originally posted by Tenz:
How'd that work out for Rise buddy? Mods won't be stopped even with DRM. Mods provide improvements, accessibility, quality of life and content for many players. Even if there are bad apples who cheat.
Last edited by Discombobulating; 9 Jul @ 5:54pm
Poyzo 11 Jul @ 7:06am 
Support DRM AND Always Online. It prevents pirates, cheaters and modders. This is what the players want.
Originally posted by Poyzo:
Support DRM AND Always Online. It prevents pirates, cheaters and modders. This is what the players want.

Yes to DRM, no to always online.
Look what happened to PAYDAY 3 with always online bs.
Originally posted by Uzkniso o.o:
Originally posted by Poyzo:

Yes to DRM, no to always online.
Look what happened to PAYDAY 3 with always online bs.

Always Online being in a game that can be played solo sounds like such a terrible idea, even for Capcom.
I just hope they have anti-cheat...I don't like cheaters.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
Per page: 1530 50