EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 6

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 6

View Stats:
Xdiesp 12 Aug @ 3:27am
What would Air Raider be like in 6, if he had not gotten drones?
Had Air Raider not received a drone makeover in EDF6, how would he be? Some kind of direct evolution of the EDF5 Raider, if you will. Note that this Air Raider would still have his turrets.

Suppose that there were no drones neither in primary weapons, nor in the backpack slot (actually, there's no backpack slot). Let's explore some scenarios:

Scenario 1
Air Raider would have 4 weapon slots, each with the full range of offensive and support.

Scenario 2
Air Raider would have 3 weapon slots (full range) and 2 vehicles.

Scenario 3
Air Raider would have 3 weapon slots that are purely offensive, plus a 4th weapon slot that's purely support.

Or submit whatever other scenario you can think of.
Last edited by Xdiesp; 12 Aug @ 3:48am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
yy
Velmoria 12 Aug @ 3:29am 
Did Air Raider in EDF5 thrive in cave stages?
That pretty much will answer that question.
Last edited by Velmoria; 12 Aug @ 3:30am
I think my preference would be just more vehicles in that case. The benefit of the drones is being able to fight more effectively at close range and in tunnels, and I think a new class of medium vehicles - somewhere between the spider crawler and the large mechs - could fulfill a similar function. With medium-ish cooldown times, so that they can be used more than once per mission.

Plus it would be fun to see some interesting new vehicles types, potentially. I imagine little mini-mech looking things that we ride on top of, possibly that can also fly for longer and more quickly than the existing mechs. And of course the return of auto-turrets lol.

Personally I love the drones, but in their absence, that's what I'd like to see.
Last edited by Defective Dopamine Pez Dispenser; 12 Aug @ 3:33am
Xdiesp 12 Aug @ 3:47am 
Originally posted by Velmoria:
Did Air Raider in EDF5 thrive in cave stages?
That pretty much will answer that question.
An extra 4th slot with a turret or limpet splendor would still do good in caves.
-Tr¡Ρ- 12 Aug @ 6:58am 
It would be like the EDF 5 AR and without the drones he'd get his turrets back.
Cyroy 19 Aug @ 6:54am 
Originally posted by Defective Dopamine Pez Dispenser:
I think my preference would be just more vehicles in that case. The benefit of the drones is being able to fight more effectively at close range and in tunnels, and I think a new class of medium vehicles - somewhere between the spider crawler and the large mechs - could fulfill a similar function. With medium-ish cooldown times, so that they can be used more than once per mission.

Plus it would be fun to see some interesting new vehicles types, potentially. I imagine little mini-mech looking things that we ride on top of, possibly that can also fly for longer and more quickly than the existing mechs. And of course the return of auto-turrets lol.

Personally I love the drones, but in their absence, that's what I'd like to see.
The only reason drones help out in close quarters is because they nerfed the various cannon strikes that used to be the main CQC weapon with the high damage single target strikes on fast all in times. Caves Air Raider was weak, but I considered that a balancing thing. Can't strategic bomb a cave afteral. Hate the current Air Raider, weaker than all other classes with Ranger overtaking most of it's role.
Seftak 19 Aug @ 10:06am 
Originally posted by Cyroy:
Originally posted by Defective Dopamine Pez Dispenser:

The only reason drones help out in close quarters is because they nerfed the various cannon strikes that used to be the main CQC weapon with the high damage single target strikes on fast all in times. Caves Air Raider was weak, but I considered that a balancing thing. Can't strategic bomb a cave afteral. Hate the current Air Raider, weaker than all other classes with Ranger overtaking most of it's role.
He's still the best for large boss like enemies. He was always pretty weak againt crowds but did very good single target damage. And now with the defense drones shooting anything getting close he is much more apt at surviving ants and spiders rushing him.

Sure he works better in a team, as it should since it's a support type class. Air raider should not be the one taking the agro.
Last edited by Seftak; 19 Aug @ 10:07am
Moomi 19 Aug @ 11:20am 
He would call in more air strikes. See EDF 5 for how it would play.
It's a pipe dream but I hold out all hope that one day, we'll have a class that can call in extra troopers and buff them. Maybe even call in armored support. An Air raider like system but with different classes of soldiers, rockets, missiles, flame units, rifles, maybe even an 'energy bar' for damage and armor buffs for units under your command.
Seftak 19 Aug @ 1:33pm 
Originally posted by Source Engine Enjoyer:
It's a pipe dream but I hold out all hope that one day, we'll have a class that can call in extra troopers and buff them. Maybe even call in armored support. An Air raider like system but with different classes of soldiers, rockets, missiles, flame units, rifles, maybe even an 'energy bar' for damage and armor buffs for units under your command.
Soooo you want to play a RTS, not a 3rd person shooter...
Xdiesp 19 Aug @ 2:55pm 
Originally posted by Source Engine Enjoyer:
It's a pipe dream but I hold out all hope that one day, we'll have a class that can call in extra troopers
It can already be done, but the method of delivery is bad: friendlies spawn from deroy meteors, which kinda gets old after the 20th meteor in the same mission.

However it should be possible to spawn friendlies less intrusively, as if you had spawned a depth crawler in a cave. Bu then another issue arises: like that, you have no control over what's spawned. A script must be prepared beforehand, that i.e. you will spawn 3 groups of soldiers, then 1 nix, then another 3 soldiers, then 1 barga etc.
I like having guard capsules instead of turrets. And I'm not really sure what is stopping you from doing all the call-ins on blue and green EDF timelines. I can do them pretty consistently. The increased point cost just means I have to alternate call ins instead of spamming the same one non-stop.
Seftak 20 Aug @ 2:16am 
Originally posted by The Grand Mugwump:
I like having guard capsules instead of turrets. And I'm not really sure what is stopping you from doing all the call-ins on blue and green EDF timelines. I can do them pretty consistently. The increased point cost just means I have to alternate call ins instead of spamming the same one non-stop.
People don't want to think and use tactics with a support tactician class. Lol
Last edited by Seftak; 20 Aug @ 2:16am
If so many levels still had the air support restriction? Awful. They would be absolutely awful without drones. But I'm absolutely drone-pilled. The constant WRRRR is in my blood now. Trying to track an enemy and missing half the shots, seeing as they fly into the horizon, knowing I won't be seeing those drones again for the next 30 seconds.

I love it.
Seftak 20 Aug @ 9:26am 
Originally posted by Mackeroni:
If so many levels still had the air support restriction? Awful. They would be absolutely awful without drones. But I'm absolutely drone-pilled. The constant WRRRR is in my blood now. Trying to track an enemy and missing half the shots, seeing as they fly into the horizon, knowing I won't be seeing those drones again for the next 30 seconds.

I love it.
About that. What does the "stall after x meters" means if you can shoot them to the other side of the map and they won't come back for 2 minutes? I wish they really had a maximum travel distance.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50