Sniper Elite 3

Sniper Elite 3

View Stats:
I really really love this game but the gpu temperature man
Why is it so high?

Cyberpunk at max graphics, arma 3 and so many other games that i play dont reach 80c.
CP 2077 gets 70c max, Arma 3 its 50c max, but Sniper Elite 3 and 2 (that i played so far) they always reach 80c, in fact they reach 80 ~79c.

Why this happens?

I already do undervolt, i have good thermal paste, ive got a Ak620 deepcool air coller.
I know its not my pc, its this game, for some reason Sniper Elite 2 and 3 have this really high temp problem.

I hope SE 4 dosent have this problem, because its really not cool =/
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Those temps you are mentioning from other games are probably not a real representation of the true termal capability of your gpu, whatever it is.

Use furmark to test your cooling.

Anyway don't use supersampling.
Originally posted by ☢ARMac☢:
Those temps you are mentioning from other games are probably not a real representation of the true termal capability of your gpu, whatever it is.

Use furmark to test your cooling.

Anyway don't use supersampling.

Well, thats not cooling or thermal paste problem. This is new pc, ive build for air flow and stuff.

I figured out whats the problem. And its a general problem with games that are for PC and console.

Once i locked at 60 fps or even 120 the temperature went down 50%, its like max 42 celcius.

Ive done that with many other games that are on PC and consoles.
I think they forget a code in the games that are multi plataform so the game dont use to 100% of everything.

The same happened to World War Z Aftermath, Aliens Fireteam and Sniper Elite 3. So i think its a pattern.

Ive locking everything that is on PC and console to 60 fps and temps are really low now.
They are low because you are pushing only 60 fps. TBH, if your GPU is overheating with uncapped FPS, there is potential problem with the cooling, regardless if it is new or old.

Think about it, if locking FPS solves it for now, in couple of years when your GPU will struggle to push past 40 FPS, you will encounter the same problem.

Also I have 165Hz monitor, meaning I am capped at 165 FPS. Imagine if my GPU overheated because of that. (4070 ti btw).
foxinsox00 16 Jun @ 10:07pm 
Late to this post, but I just decided to boot this game up again after years. It worked no problem on my Omen laptop from 2018, but now my beefy brand new Alienware desktop is pushing 100% GPU usage and temperature.... WTF horrendous optimization is this?????

Can it be fixed, or is this game just a no go with new hardware? I mean, I've been gaming FAR graphically better games for months at ultra settings and not coming remotely close to high temps. I mean... There's no way in hell this is a machine problem.
RMJ 17 Jun @ 5:44am 
Sadly it is!

Older games were not designed to run on DX12 - Newer hardware with a "SHIPLOAD" of CPU cores.... There are so many conflicts here. This is where those issues come from. So look at the "recommended". Then in motherboard BIOS disable e_cores - hyperthreads. On some CPU's you may have to disable some of them too. If microcrap designed "proper" modern OS's, they would implement a software "recognition" .dll and auto disable DX 12 abuse! Ron White said it best "you can't fix stupid". I have been with PC's since 1978. I know too much about them! This is why I prefer windows 7, I only use 11 garbage when I am forced to, for DX12 crap games. I only have 2 that I respect. And very little for that matter. Just me.

Originally posted by foxinsox00:
I mean... There's no way in hell this is a machine problem.
GPU's are designed to run at high temperatures so it really does not matter.

Plus, you should not replace the GPU thermal paste at all (at least not for 10 years some even say leave it alone totally) because when you replace the GPU thermal paste, you ALSO MUST replace the GPU thermal pads or temperature issues will happen (and sometimes sensor issues).

Unless the high temperatures are causing BSoD or system stalls/crashes, it really should not be a concern because the GPU will also protect itself by turning itself off before any major damage were to happen (unless you mess around with voltages).

Anything under 90°C is acceptable for a GPU.

AMD Radeon can run hot around 90°C - 100°C (Max)

Nvidia can run hot around 95°C - 100°C (Max)

More importantly are the GPU fans. If these are spinning faster than other games due to the heat, that is not a great sign because the #1 issue with failing GPU performance are failing GPU fans.

The more usage and faster those fans spin, the more wear they will take and thus start to move rather slower.

Dust buildup could be another issue but not so much with newer GPU's that use PWM fan control; however, it is advised to clean the fans at times (do not ever use air to clean - some GPU models covers (mainly specific Nvidia RTX models) should also not be removed.

GPU's that point downwards (standard direct PCIe horizontal mounting) are less susceptible to gravitational wear and tear as opposed to vertically mounted GPU's using riser cables; although, V-mounting is safer when using AIO.
Last edited by WinterSolstice; 17 Jun @ 8:57am
RMJ 17 Jun @ 10:02am 
I completely disagree! This is the first thing I do to every PC, I serviced that had heat issues. And even do it to new hardware! REMOVE THAT EVER SO STUPID PASTE! It hardens - you have no idea who installed it - how old it was ....... That so called silver paste is the worst idea ever for PC's. I highly suggest cooking olive oil, IT NEVER FAILS! Even when it dryies out it "will not" deny contact and still transfer heat properly! GPU thermal pads - LOL, some just have no idea! I have been working with PC's since 1978, Was a Private I-T for 14 years before I retired. Worked for Billion $ companys , John Hopkins research back when Dr. Appel ran it was one. And when cleaning GPU's It is highly advised to completely remove the "radiator" and the fan assemble, Usa a clean dry paint brush to clean them properly! As the fins get clogged with debree. I personally never use stock coolers not matter how many fans ... how much they brag about them ....they all are horrible. My GPU with its custom dead quiet cooler Very rarely gets above 51 C, yep you can touch it with out getting burned while you are gaming.
Originally posted by RMJ:
I completely disagree! This is the first thing I do to every PC, I serviced that had heat issues. And even do it to new hardware! REMOVE THAT EVER SO STUPID PASTE! It hardens - you have no idea who installed it - how old it was ....... That so called silver paste is the worst idea ever for PC's. I highly suggest cooking olive oil, IT NEVER FAILS! Even when it dryies out it "will not" deny contact and still transfer heat properly! GPU thermal pads - LOL, some just have no idea! I have been working with PC's since 1978, Was a Private I-T for 14 years before I retired. Worked for Billion $ companys , John Hopkins research back when Dr. Appel ran it was one. And when cleaning GPU's It is highly advised to completely remove the "radiator" and the fan assemble, Usa a clean dry paint brush to clean them properly! As the fins get clogged with debree. I personally never use stock coolers not matter how many fans ... how much they brag about them ....they all are horrible. My GPU with its custom dead quiet cooler Very rarely gets above 51 C, yep you can touch it with out getting burned while you are gaming.
Thermal paste that dries out is usually silicone or graphene based. Thicker paste is 100% better but one would suspect the manufacturer to use good paste in the first place and not cheap garbage but some will use the cheaper paste. :csd2smile:

Did I mention if you did repaste the GPU you also need to replace the thermal pads? Well you do/should.

I use 99.99% silver and it never dries out (even tested in the Summer sun).

My PC is still at its stock cooling 35°C (idle) and 45°C (on-load) and this thermal paste is 7 years old.

Even my older 2012 AMD FX PC that also uses the same silver thermal paste is still liquefied so idk what trash paste you have been using for decades (maybe that olive oil?).

As for GPU's, cheaper brands may use silicone-based thermal paste but not reputable brands like Zotac.

My GPU temps are also the same from 2016 and stay well under 65°C on heavy load (maybe 70°C it is not like I monitor it 24/7 or need to do so).
Last edited by WinterSolstice; 7 Jul @ 10:23am
Originally posted by RMJ:
Sadly it is!

Older games were not designed to run on DX12 - Newer hardware with a "SHIPLOAD" of CPU cores.... There are so many conflicts here. This is where those issues come from. So look at the "recommended". Then in motherboard BIOS disable e_cores - hyperthreads. On some CPU's you may have to disable some of them too. If microcrap designed "proper" modern OS's, they would implement a software "recognition" .dll and auto disable DX 12 abuse! Ron White said it best "you can't fix stupid". I have been with PC's since 1978. I know too much about them! This is why I prefer windows 7, I only use 11 garbage when I am forced to, for DX12 crap games. I only have 2 that I respect. And very little for that matter. Just me.

Originally posted by foxinsox00:
I mean... There's no way in hell this is a machine problem.

So am I just SOL then??

I have an i9 with a 4080 card..... I just don't get that this could overheat using a game from many years ago. Brand new games at max settings in mid game run at half the temperature this game does just booting up the main menu.

It's incredibly irritating, because I'd really like to get back in this series. I just got 4 and 5 which I've never played, but I dunno if I even want to try it if 3 brings this much scorching heat. I don't want to damage a brand new 4080.
go old school take off side case use a Desktop fan on it full welly sorted :)
CyFiver 13 Aug @ 11:31pm 
Holy christ this was a rough thread to read. Just unreal.

Folks with GPU's testing their heat temps need to start posting HWinfo64 or something for some factual information.

OP basically stated he setup a Frame Cap. So he was probably running without V-Sync (G-Sync Etc) and had his toaster working overtime for no real reason. He stated so himself that it resolved the issue (He said 60 or 120) which leads me to further guess he had it blasting 200+ with no Sync.

The folks arguing heat. My 4090 inside a massive 7000D case with the best airflow, full fans and liquid on the processor will still reach the 84.0ºC Thermal Limit on the Hot Spot Temps with most Current Gen Titles in 4k/144hz Maxed with RT when available.

RDR2 (Yup, 4k Max it out and it still generates heat!), Cities II, Dying Light II, Dead Island II, WarHammer: DarkTide, Cyberpunk, the list goes on...

Without a water block you're basically throttling either way sooner or later. But as I stated this is no different than if I was to load up League of Legends in 4k/max and left it uncapped. I'd be playing Aram with 1400+ FPS basically turning my 4090 into an ultra sweet room heater. The OP states what they did 13 Feb @ 4:48pm .
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50