KINGDOM HEARTS -HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX-

KINGDOM HEARTS -HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX-

View Stats:
So about Port Royal
Does anyone else agree that the voice acting in that world is atrocious?
I believe the plan was to get the original cast to voice for it but the budget ran out and they had to take C movie voice actors instead.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Moridin 4 Sep @ 3:10pm 
Looking on IMDB its not completly the VA's fault, just bad direction and having to deal with the lip flaps being set to the JP dialogue.
And yeah it's mostly a budget issue and a scheduling one. They have had some big names VA in KH. Leonard Nimoy, Christopher Lee and Mark Hamill spring to mind. Who were probably willing to take less money for a purely voice roll and much less busy schedules.
Last edited by Moridin; 4 Sep @ 3:11pm
PKblaze 4 Sep @ 3:25pm 
It's fine imo. Sure, it's not quite right but it's no worse than Org XIII voice acting.
Craig 6 Sep @ 5:13pm 
Originally posted by Moridin:
Looking on IMDB its not completly the VA's fault, just bad direction and having to deal with the lip flaps being set to the JP dialogue.
Is the JP Dialogue for Port Royal that different from the Western dub? Do they say less or more? Did they even change lip flaps for releases back then or today when porting overseas?
Last edited by Craig; 6 Sep @ 5:14pm
Originally posted by Craig:
Is the JP Dialogue for Port Royal that different from the Western dub? Do they say less or more? Did they even change lip flaps for releases back then or today when porting overseas?

They DID change the lip flaps for the English versions of KH1 and 2 for sure, even back on the original releases. They didn't for Re:CoM and wow can you tell the difference. It was a big point of discussion when that finally got ported stateside. *lol* It's why I can't be too hard on the line delivery in that game; they were working with a disadvantage.

As for Port Royal in particular.... yeah, I agree with OP, there's some rough voice acting in that world. I *have* to chalk it up to bad direction, because I've heard some of those VAs turn in really good performances elsewhere. Plus... I mean, the original film performances were just SO strong and iconic, Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush especially, that anyone trying to imitate them is going to pale in comparison at least a little. Plus stacking them up against a bunch of the original Disney VAs in the same game, and yeah, Port Royal comes across as kind of the odd man out as far as voice quality. It's a real shame.

I *have* heard that they do better with it in The Caribbean in KH3, at least, but I haven't played it yet myself. Can anyone who's played 3 confirm this?
It's been years since I played KH2, but from what I remember I liked the KH2 version better than the movies.
Mostly cause Jack Sparrow seemed less creepy, and more... well, witty and pirate-like in KH2.

(Then again, I've never liked Johnny Depp, he always seems to make any role creepy and disturbing. So anyone would seem like a better Jack Sparrow in comparison, I suppose)
Moridin 7 Sep @ 9:33am 
There's some awkward dialogue in the other areas of the games so i think i assumed they didnt change from the JP lipflaps. since even big names like final fantasy and pokemon didnt bother redoing them.

KH3 pirates is much better VA but still noticeably not as good as the rest of the worlds imo.
There's some awkward dialogue in the other areas of the games so i think i assumed they didnt change from the JP lipflaps. since even big names like final fantasy and pokemon didnt bother redoing them.

KH3 pirates is much better VA but still noticeably not as good as the rest of the worlds imo.
This implies that Pokemon ever had voice acting in their main games at all.

That series is stuck in the "too big to fix itself since it does phenomenally well no matter what".
Moridin 7 Sep @ 1:03pm 
well i meant the amine rather then the game for pkm.
no anime does that
Craig 8 Sep @ 3:22pm 
Originally posted by Seb | セビ:
no anime does that
He probably assumes it's that way due to fan editors/dubbers like LittleKuriboh and TeamFourStar that have a huge effort to edit lip flaps to their fandubs.

You have been fooled by fan dubs my guy~ There is a reason 80s and 90s OVAs that came over in VHS format to the West with surfer dude voice actors have the unintentionally funniest dubs sometimes.
I always chalked it up to this voice-acting being KH's specialty, like how the characters do a million hand movement when they just say yes.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50