Gauntlet™

Gauntlet™

View Stats:
Controller not working in game
I'm at my wit's end here trying to get this to work. I've tried everything I can and Steam will not let me use a controller at all, not Xbox, not PS4, nothing. Steam recognizes my controller in the settings, drivers are updated, steam is updated, windows is updated, everything is enabled, but when I boot up any game it only accepts mouse and keyboard controls and does not respond to controllers at all. It's not a controller issue, it works just fine with other clients like Gamepass or EA, only Steam is having this issue The only thing that I can think of is that in the corner of the page it says "Mostly Playable With Your Controller" and says that I'm currently remapping controls, but I've done no such thing. Can anyone help?

Edit: I did a full reinstall of Steam and that didn't help. One commenter suggested a controller emulator and so far that hasn't worked but I'll keep trying. I did, however, find one game that would work: Celeste. I have no idea why that works and games like Outer Wilds or Hollow Knight don't, but I'll keep trying

Edit the Second: I FIGURED IT OUT

I got a HOTAS setup from a friend for Xmas, it turns out you can't have the HOTAS and a controller plugged in together. To be honest I'd forgotten they were even plugged in, but there we are! If you're reading this looking for a solution here it is
Last edited by LexiWhatWeGot; 23 Feb @ 10:10pm
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Lein 23 Feb @ 4:20am 
The only other thing I can think of other than just restarting everything is making sure the game is actually the active window, but given that you say kb/m works, sounds like it already is. The fact that both Steam recognizes it and yet it doesn't work on any Steam game is really weird. Are you sure the "Enable Steam input" for this specific game is selected in the settings? (I know you said everything is enabled, but I gotta ask anyway because I've never heard of this.)

When you say Steam recognizes it, does that mean the buttons actually work when rebinding inputs in the controller settings, or do you just mean it sees that it's plugged in?

I use an Xbox controller and see "Mostly Playable With Your Controller" but I can confirm that an Xbox controller works completely fine. For years I used to use a DS4 for this game and can confirm that works too.
the dual shock controller i used for gauntlet, required me to download x360ce controller emulator application. controller worked in other emulators and programs. it would not work in gauntlet slayer. something about x-input and dual shock being 15 years old. worked fine once i downloaded that app and set it up.
Originally posted by Ether in the Void:
the dual shock controller i used for gauntlet, required me to download x360ce controller emulator application. controller worked in other emulators and programs. it would not work in gauntlet slayer. something about x-input and dual shock being 15 years old. worked fine once i downloaded that app and set it up.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot and see
Originally posted by Lein:
The only other thing I can think of other than just restarting everything is making sure the game is actually the active window, but given that you say kb/m works, sounds like it already is. The fact that both Steam recognizes it and yet it doesn't work on any Steam game is really weird. Are you sure the "Enable Steam input" for this specific game is selected in the settings? (I know you said everything is enabled, but I gotta ask anyway because I've never heard of this.)

When you say Steam recognizes it, does that mean the buttons actually work when rebinding inputs in the controller settings, or do you just mean it sees that it's plugged in?

I use an Xbox controller and see "Mostly Playable With Your Controller" but I can confirm that an Xbox controller works completely fine. For years I used to use a DS4 for this game and can confirm that works too.
Here's the weirdest thing, I found exactly one game that works and that's Celeste. Not Outer Wilds, Hollow Knight, or Shipbreaker which are made for controllers, Celeste so far is the only one I've found that works. Yes, I double checked to be sure and Enable Steam Input is on for all of them
Lein 24 Feb @ 3:54am 
I see you figured it out. I still have no idea how that was causing the controller to behave that way and only in those certain situations, but hey, a win is a win. haha
Last edited by Lein; 24 Feb @ 3:55am
Originally posted by Lein:
I see you figured it out. I still have no idea how that was causing the controller to behave that way and only in those certain situations, but hey, a win is a win. haha
God only knows. I'm just glad I figured it out
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50