Ys X: Nordics

Ys X: Nordics

Question regarding healing items
'Could just go watch a video, but I don't want to spoil myself in any way regarding this game. Except for this one thing; Does anyone know if there's still a menu coming up that pauses the game which gives you access to practically infinite healing items like in Ys IX?

I'm hoping at least some kind of restriction is present to prevent us from instantly reviving/healing on the higher difficulties. Ys VIII & Ys IX are two of my absolute favorite games next to Sekiro, but it always feels like cheating to me to have such methods so easily available.
Last edited by R E D N U M; 7 Jun @ 6:55am
Originally posted by Hamlock:
Yes, healing in Ys X works the same exact way as Ys VIII & IX, they didn't change anything, unfortunately.

The only saving grace is that if you play on Nightmare or Inferno difficulty, healing bottles are consumed after use, so they can't be refilled. Ys VIII had the same restriction in Inferno.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Hamlock 1 Jun @ 2:49pm 
Yes, healing in Ys X works the same exact way as Ys VIII & IX, they didn't change anything, unfortunately.

The only saving grace is that if you play on Nightmare or Inferno difficulty, healing bottles are consumed after use, so they can't be refilled. Ys VIII had the same restriction in Inferno.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing it up for me. That's a shame, but there's no way around it.

Will put the game on the highest difficulty like I usually do and love it all the same. 😄
Ikagura 2 Jun @ 4:57am 
I'd argue that it's you who decides to heal back or not.

Like how in Ys VI there's the Catastrophe mode which is optional.
Hamlock 4 Jun @ 11:01pm 
Originally posted by Ikagura:

You can self-impose a no-healing challenge, but that doesn't really fix the problems with a system that lets you pause the game and heal as much as you want. I know other games let you do this too, but it still undermines the challenge. Balancing the healing mechanics is crucial to maintaining the game's difficulty and ensuring we stay engaged without feeling overpowered.

Maybe they can just not let us pause and heal during a battle, and bring back health drops from previous games.
Ikagura 5 Jun @ 3:16am 

You can self-impose a no-healing challenge, but that doesn't really fix the problems with a system that lets you pause the game and heal as much as you want. I know other games let you do this too, but it still undermines the challenge. Balancing the healing mechanics is crucial to maintaining the game's difficulty and ensuring we stay engaged without feeling overpowered.

Maybe they can just not let us pause and heal during a battle, and bring back health drops from previous games.
I don't see any issue with being able to pause during a boss fight.

In fact I think it's one of the few things that aged poorly about the classic Ys games since there is absolutely no reasons a single player game shouldn't let you pause the game (either because you got busy or just needed to get to the restroom).

Just do like Kingdom Hearts: making the pause only a simple pause without any menus in combat (or even have a continue or restart option to redo a boss without having to wait your death).

Ys could profit from a quick heal button with an equiped item like the herb in the first Ys, it should have been a good nod to the original while also saying that in higher difficulties it couldn't be done.

But my point stand: pausing in a solo game should be mandatory as an option (with some lag to prevent frame perfect inputs).
Hamlock 6 Jun @ 11:17pm 

In fact I think it's one of the few things that aged poorly about the classic Ys games since there is absolutely no reasons a single player game shouldn't let you pause the game (either because you got busy or just needed to get to the restroom).

Just do like Kingdom Hearts: making the pause only a simple pause without any menus in combat (or even have a continue or restart option to redo a boss without having to wait your death).

Ys could profit from a quick heal button with an equiped item like the herb in the first Ys, it should have been a good nod to the original while also saying that in higher difficulties it couldn't be done.

But my point stand: pausing in a solo game should be mandatory as an option (with some lag to prevent frame perfect inputs).
Nice goalposting. My issue isn't that you can pause the game, it's that you can pause *and* heal as much as you want without any consequences.

Who in their right mind would complain that you can pause in a single player game?
Last edited by Hamlock; 7 Jun @ 1:25am
Ikagura 7 Jun @ 9:11am 

Nice goalposting. My issue isn't that you can pause the game, it's that you can pause *and* heal as much as you want without any consequences.

Who in their right mind would complain that you can pause in a single player game?
Fine, just let the harder difficulties act as a "Catastrophe mode" of some sort to let Normal and Easy players the choice to heal or have the Catastrophe as a separate difficulty flag (with Catastrophe Inferno/Lunatic as the hardest challenge).
Then simply do not heal when fighting at all, problem solved.

Just because you don't want to use heal doesn't mean devs have to enforce no healing challenge for everyone.

Balancing the healing mechanics is crucial to maintaining the game's difficulty and ensuring we stay engaged without feeling overpowered.
They already did, by limiting the use of empty bottle, the number of healing items you can carry, and you cannot stack food effect or use another without clearing the current one as well. It's not like allowing you to heal as much as you can instantly kill the boss anyway.

From your POV is all about the challenge and healing is bad, but have you even considered devs POV yet? That they want the game to be accessible to many as much as it can?

Do you even realize why they allow such generosity in healing? Because they already had to rely on 1-2 hit KO for enemies on highest difficulties - no matter how well you do in the battle, one or two mistakes and you are dead, hence the existence for Flash Guard/Move invincibility window. But casual players won't be able to use FG/FM effectively anyway or don't even bother, hence they will get KO'd very often, and they will need to heal/revive a lot burning stock very quick, and all that doesn't guarantee they can cheat pass the bosses anyway. Even if they can, for long dungeons with tough enemies or raid/hunt battles, they will run out of supply fast too.

Why there was not much healing in Ys in the past? Because enemies & bosses did not necessarily deal hard dmg killing you in 1-2 hits often, allowing you ample of time to correct your mistakes, and both sides are racing against time wearing the other down anyway.

You want no healing? Try asking every Ys player, including yourself, to no healing going through Ys VIII bonus dungeon on Inferno and let's see how obnoxious of experience feedback will be. Or one near end-game full-moon raid in IX can be tedious enough considering you can never control that one laser fire from afar. in the midst of madness

If anything, healing is not the problem, the real problem is having 1-2 hit KO as the challenge atm, but at least there were FG/FM windows so you could cope, but now they don't work like that anymore, let's see how it goes.
Ikagura 13 Jul @ 12:57pm 
Originally posted by Melon Sc//ence:
Then simply do not heal when fighting at all, problem solved.

Just because you don't want to use heal doesn't mean devs have to enforce no healing challenge for everyone.

Balancing the healing mechanics is crucial to maintaining the game's difficulty and ensuring we stay engaged without feeling overpowered.
They already did, by limiting the use of empty bottle, the number of healing items you can carry, and you cannot stack food effect or use another without clearing the current one as well. It's not like allowing you to heal as much as you can instantly kill the boss anyway.

From your POV is all about the challenge and healing is bad, but have you even considered devs POV yet? That they want the game to be accessible to many as much as it can?

Do you even realize why they allow such generosity in healing? Because they already had to rely on 1-2 hit KO for enemies on highest difficulties - no matter how well you do in the battle, one or two mistakes and you are dead, hence the existence for Flash Guard/Move invincibility window. But casual players won't be able to use FG/FM effectively anyway or don't even bother, hence they will get KO'd very often, and they will need to heal/revive a lot burning stock very quick, and all that doesn't guarantee they can cheat pass the bosses anyway. Even if they can, for long dungeons with tough enemies or raid/hunt battles, they will run out of supply fast too.

Why there was not much healing in Ys in the past? Because enemies & bosses did not necessarily deal hard dmg killing you in 1-2 hits often, allowing you ample of time to correct your mistakes, and both sides are racing against time wearing the other down anyway.

You want no healing? Try asking every Ys player, including yourself, to no healing going through Ys VIII bonus dungeon on Inferno and let's see how obnoxious of experience feedback will be. Or one near end-game full-moon raid in IX can be tedious enough considering you can never control that one laser fire from afar. in the midst of madness

If anything, healing is not the problem, the real problem is having 1-2 hit KO as the challenge atm, but at least there were FG/FM windows so you could cope, but now they don't work like that anymore, let's see how it goes.
Even Ys I&II had the herb which allowed you to heal once in the mid fight.
I just do self imposed no heal challenges, not even for status effects/revives, my first playthrough of ys 8 was inferno no restoration items (allowed stat up outside of combat in camp) was my favorite gaming experience ive ever had.

Just because you can use the stuff doesnt mean you have to, make the enjoyment you want out of it
Croxio 5 Aug @ 7:52am 
Yep as in ys 9 where the compote and apple pie are Op. Infinite mana allows you to spam the big spells, in addition to healing... Well after that it was also useful to farm the level of skills, the dishes had a legitimate utility other thant lowering the dificulty.

To do chalenge run is necessary, because if you go up too high in difficulty the bosses just hit too hard and tank to much leaving no room for error. This forces you to use the "unworthy" methods but if you go too low, it's a bit of an execution.

At my level Ys 0 and 4 in normal mode are hard but doable and very good, Ys 6 is a ♥♥♥♥♥ (having all the equipment is essential to hold the Final boss). :pikkard2:
Ikagura 5 Aug @ 8:43am 
Originally posted by Croxio:
At my level Ys 0 and 4 in normal mode are hard but doable and very good, Ys 6 is a ♥♥♥♥♥ (having all the equipment is essential to hold the Final boss). :pikkard2:
Ys VI is arguably one of the easiest Ys games to complete.
Croxio 5 Aug @ 12:19pm 
At my level Ys 0 and Ys: The Oath in Felghana (ys 3 ) in normal mode are hard but doable and very good, Ys 6 is a ♥♥♥♥♥ (having all the equipment is essential to hold the Final boss). :pikkard2:
Ys VI is arguably one of the easiest Ys games to complete.

SORRY?? 6 ONE OF THE SIMPLEST? Already just for the double jump which is really hard to do on this game, not that they are impossible but we are at a level where a guide is recommended so as not to miss equipment (unless as progress the story progress it amuses you to re-explore the entire map). As much as the fact that winning a single level can make the difference on a boss (very cool ) . ys 3 is 6 but refined and generally better on all points , we feel that it was made after.

The most modern ys games are much simpler than the old ones (games accessible on steam) Ys 8 or 9 in normal is the equivalent of the scenario/story mode compared to the normal mode of ys 3 v:sdadol:

in my previous comment, i may have written ys 4 when i thought 3... ys is not entirely linear :mocry: :moquery:
SORRY?? 6 ONE OF THE SIMPLEST? Already just for the double jump which is really hard to do on this game

Just chill & cool it down, 6 is indeed the simplest of the classic trilogy - Ark - Napishtim - Origin, as it is also the first game.

Indeed there is the jump dash thing that can irk people often for getting 100%, but it is also not what you need to progress main story as well. Perhaps it is more difficult to pull when using gamepad, but on Keyboard it is actually consistent and easy to do, though I guess describing the method from one person to another can be ambiguous thus seems difficult to fathom and press correctly.

And let's just say Falcom made a mistake allowing player to free roam more initially, but probably didn't play test enough that you can actually miss crucial stuff to defeat certain enemy types. That's why on Felghana and Origin they narrow it down that you go explore regions one by one.

Oh and broken balance in difficulty too leading to tedious grind, and the critical hit enabled for bosses were huge mistakes.

Ys 8 or 9 in normal is the equivalent of the scenario/story mode compared to the normal mode of ys 3

I don't know what difficulty of Ys 3 around PS2 side-scrolling feels like, but generally fans accepted that Ys 8 Normal is actually Easy Diff, and Hard is actually Normal. Considering we have Inferno diff on top of Nightmare diff
Last edited by Fluff Fact⚙ry; 6 Aug @ 3:54am
Lywelyn 6 Aug @ 4:11am 
i don't see why that's an issue. as not only it's single player so in any way can impact other players.

also nothing stop one from not using helaing item at all as part of a challenge.

it is actually a good thing the system allow the player to chose either to heal or not.

Ys although had tedious hard difficulties for the early stage of the serie, has evolve, and it's a good thing that even casual players that enjoy JRPG can adapt the game's difficulty to their taste.

and for us hardcore there's always the top high difficulty usual locked behind a 1st palythrought completed.

so i have yet to understand why it would be unfortunate that Falcom let the system as it is.

in fact i want to know why and how restricting healing would benefit the game.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50