Command & Conquer™ Generals Zero Hour

Command & Conquer™ Generals Zero Hour

Can no longer play the game on the EA app, says I need directX 8.1
It was all fine and everything up until three days ago. The main game and all of my mods worked fine and now it's just not working at all, I uninstalled the game and all of the files leftover, then reinstalled it which also reinstalls the requirements as well like directX and it's still not working. Then I directly installed directX 8.1, still didn't work, I don't know what else to do.

Update: Now it keeps saying it needs repairs.

Update 2: Fixed it. Had to go into the options.ini file and change the resolution. For those having trouble, go to users/[your name]/documents/command and conquer generals zero hour and open "options.ini" and change the resolution to "800 600". Hope this helps :)
Last edited by Wolfpred99; 11 Jul @ 12:11am
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
same here
Delete dbghelp.dll from the games install folder, simple as that.
Wolfpred99 10 Jul @ 11:37pm 
Originally posted by last light of the library:
Delete dbghelp.dll from the games install folder, simple as that.
Didn't work, got the same error again.

Edit: Fixed it, it was a resolution error created by the contra mod even after uninstalling the mod.
Last edited by Wolfpred99; 11 Jul @ 12:19am
I had same issue and changed what you recommended. That fixed the issue.

However, what happened to all of the resolution options? Why did this setting or issue change? Like you said, this game was working just fine several days ago.

Additionally, I had no idea that the data was being stored in the user's documents directory! Is that new or has always been the case?
I recently changed monitors and the directx error just appeared the first time playing C&C since. I just played a few days ago and did not have any issues. The only fix was to edit the Options.ini file with my monitor's resolution 1920 1080. This fixed the issue.

Did you have any hardware or monitor changes since C&C last worked?
x1Heavy 18 Jul @ 6:37pm 
I bought a 31.5 inch ASUS Tuff monitor that is 1920x1080 over Direct Port to the vid card which is capable of refreshing at 165 hertz. (I Keep mine at 120 which is plenty)

The game was bought a few days later. It plays at its max resolution in options fine. Just the flavor of the graphics then is still there. I strictly stay within the Generals and Zero game here. I have not tried to install any of the others or mod it in any way yet.

Things get pretty wild when you dial down monitor resolution on a screen this big.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50