Command & Conquer™ Generals Zero Hour

Command & Conquer™ Generals Zero Hour

DirectX error
How to fix DirectX error ? its say please make sure you install directX8 or up , but i checked my DirectX version it was 12 .
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
delete dbghelp.dll from the games folder, you may need to do it in the generals folder as well.
KIKS 14 Mar @ 5:00am 
same problem
Nechutne 14 Mar @ 8:37am 
thx
Use GenPatcher. It fixes it.
I delteted the 3x files "dbghelp" but still got this dam message....
bigobean 14 Mar @ 4:17pm 
last light. Thx so much that work for me. I have the Generals box, the first decade, and window killed the cd safe with 10. Now i can play a grate RTS again. All so reverify the files for both games and there should be just one "dbghlelp.dill" in each, then I emptied the garbage folder if that helps lroquois. In game 1600X1200 Resolution with compatibility mode windos XP service pack 2, and it runs grate. No need to my normal resolution.
Last edited by bigobean; 14 Mar @ 5:54pm
Screen resolution is probably your culprit. Any modern system can handle this game easily, so it's a bad error message.

Go into:
C:\Users\youruserfoldernamehere\Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data
replacing youruserfoldernamehere with... your user folder name.

Check the
Options.ini
file inside for a key of
Resolution = XXXX XXXX

Replace the XXXX's with your screen resolution (and you'll probably want to use a custom resolution to match the 4:3 aspect ratio this game uses).

So for me, that ends up looking like:
Resolution = 1440 1080

And I had to create that 1440x1080p resolution inside my AMD Adrenalin driver software. You can do the same thing in NVIDIA control panel if you're on NVIDIA (or don't do any of this, and just pick a resolution you know your display/system supports. But keep in mind this game was released in an era where 4:3 screens were the norm, so your choice -- stretching, or black bars).

Side note: you probably also want to cap the FPS of this game to 30fps (use any software you want for that). The game speed is tied to frame rate, so anything above 30fps speeds up the gameplay/scroll speed beyond intended values (and can cause mismatches when playing online/LAN).

(Fun fact -- this error happens sometimes in other software from early 2000s. Same fix in those cases)
Last edited by WaywardPooch; 14 Mar @ 5:39pm
i had to delete both files on both folders, thanks that worked for me!
Originally posted by last light of the library:
delete dbghelp.dll from the games folder, you may need to do it in the generals folder as well.
Please stop recommending users to delete this file. It does not work as many mentioned.
Nyerguds 18 Jul @ 11:13am 
It does. It's literally the cause of the error.
Originally posted by Nyerguds:
It does. It's literally the cause of the error.
The resolution just needed to be changed. I did not delete the dbghelp.dll file but did change the resolution to 1920 1080 in the Options.ini file.

Maybe deleting the dll file in the past worked but it hasn't made a difference in my directx error. In fact, I changed the resolution in the options.ini file to 1600 1200 and other lower 4:3 resolutions and recreated the error. I again changed it back to 1920 1080 fixed the error.

Fix may not be the correct terminology. More like work around. I didnt have any issues several days ago. Today was the first time with the directx error. The only change is that I got a newer monitor. I think understanding the different monitors might help me find the root cause.
it vary's per machine for deleting the dll sometimes the user doesn't have to do so. but as its generally the cause of the problem anyways its best to start there. as for in the past the issue for why it does complain about it won't go away as its an issue with Microsoft and providing support for older software. (dx11 and 12 were rewrote and no longer have the flags the game looks for which dx8.1 had)
Try right click on generals in steam library and go to local files and then right click on generals launch file and run as administrator. Worked for me : )
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50