Ark of Charon

Ark of Charon

My thoughts on the demo.
I'll start by saying sometimes I'm not necessarily the best at this type of game, no matter how much I like them, a strange concept, I know, liking a game I'm bad at, but there you go.

Anyway, maybe it's just because I'm bad at the game but I definitely feel like the difficulty ramps up way too quickly. I've read a couple of other posts form people who completed the demo, and they all pretty much played out the same way. And I want to play my way, not the same way as everyone else. I've tried multiple ways to get through this but I always end up failing on the third, or sometimes 4th move, never even gotten to moving towards the snow place once yet. It should definitely be more viable to play multiple ways rather than having to rush for very specific tech with extreme micro-management of the golems. But getting swarms of highly-explosive bats, octopus guys that just sit there at the far edge shooting me out of range of my weaponry, or a fustercluck of lightning squids that sit so high above me most of my weapons don't have an angle on them, as early as wave 2 sometimes, when I've barely had time to work on the tech trees, feels like a bit of a cop-out.

With the resources that you need for upgraded ballista (not ballister, by the way devs) and trebuchet being random finds and not getting them back upon destruction means they're a waste of time, resources and energy, but not having them means the regular ones get absolutely hammered in no time flat, so the only option for decent firepower, cannons. Which if you're not lucky you may not find enough resources to be a viable weapon until late... Too late.

Now onto a few bits of weirdness I've seen. The Golemn AI is... lacking. I've seen them go to transport an item but then drop it back on the floor a dozen times before taking it back to the storage area. They will often work til starvation, despite having food stored and not being an emergency. They will stack multiple boxes partially full of the same item, taking up unnecessary storage space. The workers will try to take items out of storage to use on the work stations and then either one of the other golemns, or they themselves, after placing it in front of the work bench will then pick it up and put it BACK IN STORAGE, and so a fight ensues with one golemn trying to take an item *out* of storage and another (sometimes the same one) trying to put it *in* storage, thus neither of them get any work done. Resources dedicated to a work station should not be able to be picked up, just like when resources get dedicated to a building/fortification, it gets put down and reserved for that build until it's complete. But resources for production (most notably stone arrow heads) get placed by the work bench by one, then removed by another instead of being reserved for the assigned output. And, of course, sometimes they just seem to mill about aimlessly, sometimes even when there is work to be done.

So, with all of that out of the way, I'd like to move onto the positives. Overall the game is a brilliant idea, an interesting mix of Genres and had a *LOT* of potential. Each individual aspect of the game works well and is implemented well, but all together they just need a little bit of a re-balance. Overall though, for an early access demo where problems and bugs are to be expected, I'd still give this a solid 4/5
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
This resonates with me so much. I too am bad at games I enjoy, but really, it's just bad compared to others. Play how we like. I'm an advocate of, if a dev has an easy mode, I'll play that mode first, and won't care if others think I'm a wuss. My ego doesn't care about that stuff. I'll move on to harder modes afterwards.

To this game though. I agree with ALL your points. The difficulty ramps up way too quickly. I think mainly it's to do with time. There isn't enough time to both learn the game and/or explore the first map, or any of the maps really unless you get super lucky with resources and several artefacts on one map and put them all into points, I think the days being longer in duration would help a lot. That way we still have the same amount of days until the storm arrives but have a fighting chance at collecting resources. I still like a challenge but sometimes it feels impossible from the word go.

The AI has me laughing sometimes with the quirks but in a good way, as much as it can be frustrating because of the limited time, it's also funny. Like you mentioned with the constantly dropping things. I can't count how many times I've yelled at them to 'Just pick it up!'

Having said all that though. I absolutely love this game. Currently it's a demo, just a demonstration. Demo's aren't much more than proof of concept really. Then we'll get to early access, which is really what we used to call a beta. This demo is much more fleshed out than a lot of EA titles.

I love the replay-ability, I have so many hours in this game. Still haven't beaten it, but I'm getting there.

The art style is well done, the ui is great even for me with limited sight. I like that I can play this completely with just a mouse. I'm hoping they consider more accessibility options for EA and full release down the line. Such as UI scaling options for one and a closer zoom. The possibility to work better with screen readers etc. Perhaps look at making some of the warnings more prominent for those playing with no sound, such as the -monsters are coming- on the left hand side of the screen.

The little attention to details, and animations, like when a Golem taps its foot at the workbenches, or takes just a pause to jump up two blocks high or to a ladder off the ground, so it looks like it's an actual effort to do. There's plenty for the devs still to do, but I think they're doing great. It's been nice to see them here in the steam forums, not just discord. I also realised last night that this is the only game I've been playing since the demo came out and I installed it. To that point, this game has been left running all the time in the background when I'm not playing, and I've had no issues at all with my pc or the game crashing.

Nice job Devs. Keep going.
agreed on all points i would also like to add when trying to farm the plants takes too long to grow by the time i have to up and leave (prolly being in a desert area didnt help). i just beat the game tho which i had barely been able to make the basic cannon and shells for it.

things that could be useful is a tooltip for how much material is currently needed to finish building something. i know its in the menu but visible, i forgot what its called hotkeys? so it be easier to change between stuff.

another thing is when you press a button on the UI sometimes it cancels the tool right when i click to select something
I agree with all points as well.
I wish there was more explanation as to what the souls did for the golemns, however, and if using more than one soul would make them any better at something (such as mining or crafting).
I also found it difficult to do everything after the first or second world because I couldn't get the resources. There wasn't enough time in the days or enough golemns to spread around to all the jobs needing to be completed.

If the information is already available, I couldn't find it, even with the tutorial. Have yet to complete the game, but still looking forward to updates.
sunsoft-*****  [developer] 3 Jul @ 1:15am 
Hello, first of all, thank you for trying out the demo.
I've just read through everything including the comments, and I'm still digesting them, but some quick comments:
The difficulty, we see in hindsight was not quite difficult in a fair way. Our thought process was that we wanted a satisfying taste of the full game that wasn't just the beginning part, but more of a really condensed experience. But I think in some areas we didn't follow through enough to be a fair enjoyable challenge.
The Early Access launch version will have a much gradual difficulty increase, and we've balanced things in a way that it may be a bit easier in general. If you do check out the Early Access, we would appreciate more feedback on the balance.
The Golem AI. I really do apologize for the stress the Golems have been causing.
We realize it was a problem point, and we've fixed the bugs we've found for Early Access launch. We will continue improving the AI as a high priority throughout development.
Thanks again for taking the time to try the game, and give us feedback.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50