ZERO PROTOCOL

ZERO PROTOCOL

Demo Feedback 12.07.2024
Good demo with a few small problems. It took me around 55 minutes to complete. The first thing I noticed after completing the game when I looked at the shop page again was that the game looked completely different to how I had just experienced it. I started the game again and lo and behold, it was almost completely in black and white for me. Only the item menu, map and red symbols on the wall are in color. I didn't even think about it while playing because I thought it was an artistic decision. Why is that? I have an AMD RX 6800 and had to switch to the alternative graphics mode because otherwise I just had endless glitches.

Now to the game itself. I would say it's not too difficult for veterans of the genre. I was confused at times but then quickly went through everything again and came across the solution somewhere. I was trapped in the elevator room for a few minutes because I didn't realize that the corpses had the cards on the floor on their backs. It took a while to get into room 3 because I didn't notice that the access pad was broken and needed to be repaired. I discovered that by chance through trial and error. Maybe it was in some note, but I didn't notice it and it wouldn't be bad if something like that was more obvious. The thing with the power terminal was also strange. The note was on the wall outside, but you also get a pager and a puzzle that goes with it? Why not one of the two and then lead the trail to that. I had the power for a long time and only later the pager and was wondering what I was supposed to do with it at the terminal. Especially since I only saw and read the note above the terminal later.

I still don't understand the whole thing with the sanity tablets. I didn't need them either. I just took them at some point because I still had so many. Just like the injection with the strength boost. I didn't notice any difference.

I only noticed at the end of the game that you can take photos with the mouse wheel. But I didn't miss it.

I don't really understand what many people here are complaining about with the shadow. I saw it in the room. I went over to it briefly and when it was triggered I just took a few steps back and it was gone. Pretty unexciting.

I always opened the item menu with TAB. Strangely, you can't close it again with TAB. If you open it with Q, you can also close it again with Q. This needs to be improved.

The jumping behavior is a bit strange and should be a bit further. Despite running up, I always jumped into the stream the first few times because the distance was slightly too small.

I also found it unfair and annoying that the enemies spawned behind you when you used a terminal and couldn't defend yourself. That meant the session was actually over and you had to reload. Maybe it was intended that you should close the doors first.

I hope that in the finished game, the sequence is not always too similar to the same sequence.
"Go to the terminal in this room, then to the terminal in this room, get the card here to go to the terminal in this room and then get this card and if you have overlooked a small thing in the many rooms, then you are lost and can go through everything again in order to find the clue..."

Now for the positive aspects. The game is well programmed. No bugs or problems of any kind (apart from the thing with the color and graphics mode). The atmosphere is great (could be a bit scarier). I like the "the Thing vibe" (you couldn't miss the poster in one of the offices). The art style with the pixel look is great and something different. The puzzles aren't too difficult (just sometimes it's unclear where to go next). Sound is great. Hope to hear some more music. But I love the oppressive atmosphere.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the finished product and think that they're still working on the little things and that it could turn into a great game. Thank you for your work.

Edit: After I sent the text, a thought popped into my head that turned out to be true. The black and white thing has to do with sanity. I started the game again and ate all the tablets from the last safe point and hey presto, the color came back. How stupid of me...
Last edited by DannyTrejo; 12 Jul @ 3:29am
< >
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
LK4D4  [developer] 18 Jul @ 6:52am 
Thank you for your detailed feedback! I hope the release version of the game will not disappoint you!
< >
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
Per page: 1530 50