ZERO PROTOCOL

ZERO PROTOCOL

Enemy spawning
To put it plainly: I don't like all the enemies spawning ONLY after I do something. Amnesia was a setpiece type game, it can get away with it. In this game, especially with how we're supposed to have limited resources, spawning enemies (especially on top of us, at points where they can get easy cheap shots like for the checkpoint terminal) is extremely frustrating. Also unless you want the players to consistently die, the enemies should be less aggressive if they just spawn. Especially with combat controls that feel off to use.

You're not outsmarting me when you as a designer randomly spawn mobs to bite a chunk out of my asscheeks. And with the fact I can literally SEE they spawn from nowhere it feels like a designer who is very proud of dropping enemies out of thin air.

System shock had static enemies as well as spawning enemies and setpiece enemies. This game only uses setpiece enemies and ngl, I'm not having fun paying a health tax for the apparently appalling lack of foresight to imagine that one room will spawn a crazy lady on me when I open it, thank you very much.

And setting the emotional aspect of the experience aside, death in a horror game should always be a threat but should occur as rarely as possible because it always pulls the player out of the experience when it happens repeatedly. It's a tired adage and I know it's a genuinely tough rope to walk, but it's very important if you want a memorably horrific experience.

Oh and dev? I know this is very snide but I've seen you use the "it's a puzzle game" defense before. And I don't blame you, I love the puzzle aspect of it too, you did good. But the problem is, the way the game is designed the player feels like at any point them solving a puzzle might reward them with an enemy and health lost. And that's not gonna incentivize anyone to play. It may not make them stop playing, but it for sure will make them enjoy playing it less. How's about you make it so inputting the wrong code triggers a brief, partly-broken alarm and you can say that draws in mobs (with the alarm being longer thus drawing in more mobs with every mistake made) rather than spawning a mob as a reward for completing a puzzle? If you wanna make it slightly easier on the player you can make it so when you input the wrong password you get a flash on the panel display which shows you how many characters the password has?
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
LK4D4  [developer] 18 Jul @ 6:47am 
Thanks for the feedback!

Spawning of new enemies in the demo version is poorly implemented, but an update will be released soon, where it is implemented much better.
Enemies don't appear from nowhere. If you look closely, you can see corpses covered with a sheet. Right now you can't do anything to them until they stand up, but in the new version you'll be able to shoot them in advance to prevent a sneak attack.
Originally posted by LK4D4:
Thanks for the feedback!

Spawning of new enemies in the demo version is poorly implemented, but an update will be released soon, where it is implemented much better.
Enemies don't appear from nowhere. If you look closely, you can see corpses covered with a sheet. Right now you can't do anything to them until they stand up, but in the new version you'll be able to shoot them in advance to prevent a sneak attack.
In that case, couple of things:
1-add a shuffling sound before they spawn so it's clear.
2-(it may be the case already, but I wouldn't have noticed) add some splatter where they used to be so it causes the conection.

Additionally, it still doesn't change the fact that the enemy getting up only AFTER I do something will get old. What would have helped me not think it was just random spawns was if the player character would be able to comment on them. System shock does this for its dead bodies under tarp. Because as they were, my brain filed them in with other clutter.

I'm not sure shooting them would make for a good solution. Maybe it could delay them reviving? But realistically it'd just make it a matter of shooting everyone dead in the head before moving on. Maybe up until the player puts paws on the first weapon you can have them on a setpiece-type timer, where they don't get up, but then afterwards set a timer (+/- a random value to keep the player on their toes) for when enemies get up. You could even add checkpoints past which the timer actually gets triggered to mimic that in an organic way. Like that it also affords the player the chance to see one of them "spawning in" and make the connection.
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50