Leap Year

Leap Year

View Stats:
Environmental clues, or just guesswork? (some light spoilers)
I started playing Leap Year today, having heard a lot of good things about it, but while I've got a bit more than half the calendar pages, the game's making me feel stupid: are there rules behind where you can do certain things? Or is the player supposed to just stumble upon these? I'm fine with some trying out, but right now it feels like I'm supposed to fall on every surface just to see if it reacts like a normal floor, i.e. SPLAT!!!, or not. The reviews I've read seem to suggest that you can think your way through this one, so I guess I must be missing something.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
taggedjc 30 Jun @ 12:28pm 
There's rules!

Falling one block distance is safe. Falling two blocks or three blocks kills you. Falling three or more blocks doesn't kill you, and you'll learn this naturally as you progress, usually in the room two to the left of the February 14 Valentine's Day room.

You can jump up through thin platforms and can walk through certain passageways hidden by foreground objects, most notably any thin pillar-like structure such as those in the first room of the caves with spikes.

The other things you'll learn by experimenting and noticing areas of particular height. If you can get enough height before landing, you can sometimes change the outcome of your fall.

There's also a couple of diagrams you can find on walls that help you locate things. Two of these indicate a place you can enter that's a secret passage, one helps you with checking what happens when you fall certain distances, and one is a map that updates as you collect pages in other rooms.
Last edited by taggedjc; 30 Jun @ 12:29pm
Thirith 30 Jun @ 3:48pm 
Great, thanks! The falling and bouncing thing threw me: I thought this was only possible in predefined places, like a hidden trampoline. It makes sense in hindsight.
SoM 1 Jul @ 1:32am 
Originally posted by Thirith:
Great, thanks! The falling and bouncing thing threw me: I thought this was only possible in predefined places, like a hidden trampoline. It makes sense in hindsight.

yeah it's not a coincidence that you are bluntly taught to press shift to show grids one room prior, plus your character is color-coded for this change during the fall (with achievement highlighting it), but people don't always make that connection and can easily overlook the detail of color, or might have turned off achievement note and miss that clue.
Thirith 1 Jul @ 2:38am 
Perhaps I would've fared better without COviD brain fog... but probably not. ;-)
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50