IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Sneaksie(RUS)  [developer] 11 Apr, 2017 @ 8:07am
VR Tips & Tricks
Here are some tips & tricks you may already know that will help set up your VR for IL-2 (but it may be useful for other games).

IL-2 Sturmovik uses Open VR interface, meaning you need to have Steam VR application installed on your PC. If you have HTC Vive, it is already installed (or you won't be able to use it in other games). However, if you have Oculus Rift, you may or may not have it installed. So, the first step would be installing Steam, logging into your Steam account and installing Steam VR from Steam store.

Run Steam VR to set up your Oculus Rift there: run Room Setup. Make sure it works fine for you in Steam VR tutorial. HTC Vive users have this set up already.

Run IL-2 Sturmovik. If Oculus Home and Steam VR applications are not active, it should launch them by itself. When the game loads, your HMD should be working already and you should see the VR image from one of the eye screens on your regular monitor. Oculus Home and Steam VR windows may obscure the IL-2 window on your regular monitor so minimize them and click on IL-2 Sturmovik window to return focus to it (that's how Windows works)

If you launch IL-2 and VR mode doesn't kick in, make sure that Steam VR (and Oculus Home if you have Oculus Rift) are installed and configured properly, and/or launch them manually before starting the game. If VR still won't kick in, go to graphics settings of the game and check that 'Use VR HMD' option is on. While you're at it, note the new graphics options there: Sharpen and Dynamic resolution factor.

Sharpen is a post process visual filter that makes everything, well, sharper. This is especially useful to increase clarity in VR so you could read your 'real' cockpit instruments better, but it gives good results if you want a crisper picture while playing on a regular monitor as well. It has little impact on the performance, so try it and see if you like the new look.

Dynamic resolution factor is a new method for keeping your frames per second (FPS) steady. Its value can be set from 0.5 (half the original resolution) to 1.0 (full resolution). If you set it to 1.0, you'll be turning it off and everything will work as before. If you set it to a lower value, you're telling the game it's Ok to degrade the rendering quality to this value to keep the FPS close to the value you set in Target FPS drop-down list here. So if you set Target FPS to 144 and Dynamic resolution factor to 0.5, the game will lower the rendering quality up to 0.5 of the original resolution trying to keep that high frame rate you specified. You can experiment with these values to find out what FPS you can achieve on your PC without degrading the visual quality too much. On a regular monitor, quality degradation is more apparent than in VR HMD, so this feature is especially useful for VR.

Please note, that Target FPS value is ignored in VR - it is set to HMD refresh rate (90 FPS or 45 FPS when it is lower than 90 and HMD driver automatically engages ASW if you're using Oculus and Reprojection for Vive). You can Google what these technologies do - basically, they generate new frames depending on previous ones to show you if PC performance level is insufficient to output 90 FPS. Target FPS parameter is also ignored if you use a regular monitor and check V-Sync option here - in this case it ties to your monitor refresh rate.

Another settings screen, Camera settings, include another new option - Limit VR view. When it is on, your virtual head won't be able outside cockpit or inside the instruments panel. While it makes perfect sense, it may be uncomfortable in VR - when your real head continues to move (there is nothing to stop it at your home unless you go too far and hit a wall or your PC), but your virtual head in the cockpit stops because it just hit a canopy, you may have a dizzy feeling. It should be noted that other sims don't have the limited VR view at all, but in IL-2 you can turn this on or off. This option will be ignored (the view will be limited) if Allow spectators option is turned off in difficulty settings (for example, on Expert difficulty multiplayer servers) to prevent cheating.

Now, there are special commands in Camera controls that you'll be using a lot in VR. First one is Default VR view - you can use it to set up a default view. If you're off to the side in the cockpit, look straight in front of view and press this button (Numpad 5 by default) - you'll be positioned in the center behind the gunsight.

Another command is VR camera zoom (hold). This is a special zoom button for VR, press and hold this button and you'll get 2X magnification to spot distant objects. It may cause nausea if you keep the button pressed and turn your head, beware.

Another tip we can give you to improve the performance is turning the in-game HUD off (H key). VR provides unique ability to read 'real' cockpit instruments at a glance, so try to use it! It can give you a huge performance boost, especially in complex missions with many objects. With HUD turned off, you can still see object markers (press I key to turn them on).

Setting the resolution in game settings to a low setting like 1024x768 or even less may significantly improve your perfrormance in VR (VR resolution is fixed and won't change, but the game will spend less time drawing its window on the monitor).

When you look down in the cockpit, you'll see a blue ring. This is Steam VR safety feature called chaperone boundaries so we can't turn it off in the game. You can turn it by editing a certain file on your PC (maybe it will be made easier in the future), Google 'turn off chaperone boundaries'.

Some of our beta testers complained that they see some objects (for example, gunsight reticle) in double vision. There can be several reasons for it, so here are what you can do if you experience this:

1) First of all, make sure your inter-pupil distance is set up correctly. Its control is located on the right of your HMD. Adjust it so the on-screen tip shows your inter-pupil distance correctly (you know its value if you use glasses).
2) Second, understand that playing in VR is completely different to playing on a regular flat screen, even if you're accustomed to Track IR or Freetrack. Objects have different depths, you can focus either on close objects or on distant ones, like in real life. If you focus on the cockpit elements or gunsight body, its reticle will be in double vision as well as a target you're trying to hit (collimator reticle is a virtual distant object). When you're aiming at an enemy aircraft or ground vehicle, focus your eyes on it, then the reticle should be in focus as well (but your canopy and gunsight body will be in a double vision like they will be in such situation in the real life).
3) Third, position your head correctly - your dominant eye should be behind the reticle. You can do this naturally just by moving your head in VR.
4) Fourth, this is a highly subjective issue. Some of the users (and us developers) don't have any problems while using an aiming sight, some resolved them when they accustomed to playing a sim in VR and for some nothing we could adjust helped. This is a highly specialized problem for VR genre - in a usual VR game the developers keep the user from this issue by avoiding situations when you have very close and distant objects at once, but this is impossible in a combat flight sim where a pilot constantly needs to switch focus from close instruments to distant targets. If you have this problem no matter what, it may be best to close one eye and aim with your dominant eye only. You'll lose stereo perception so it isn't ideal, but many people aim their guns this way and do fine.

We spent much time to implement the VR support. We hope you'll like the result and the new immersion level it gives to virtual pilots! See you in the sky!
Last edited by Sneaksie(RUS); 12 Apr, 2017 @ 4:27am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 330 comments
BlackSix 11 Apr, 2017 @ 8:13am 
Несколько советов по настройке виртуальной реальности для Ил-2 (некоторые из них применимы и для других игр).

Ил-2 Штурмовик работает через интерфейс Open VR, поэтому на компьютере должно быть установлено приложение Steam VR. Если у вас есть шлем HTC Vive, то оно уже установлено, иначе бы шлем не работал. Если же у вас Oculus Rift, то Steam VR может и не быть установлено. Итак, устанавливаем Steam, в его магазине находим Steam VR и устанавливаем его.

Запускаем Steam VR и в нём проводим настройку шлема (Room Setup). Убедитесь, что шлем работает как надо в ВР демонстрации Steam VR Tutorial.

Теперь можно запускать Ил-2. Если Steam VR не запущено, Ил-2 его запустит сам (а для пользователей Oculus Rift ещё и Oculus Home, иначе ВР работать не будет). На экране появится окно игры с необычным видом - это копия изображения одного из глаз из шлема. Окна Steam VR и Oculus Home откроются поверх окна игры, если они не были запущены ранее (так работает Windows) - сверните их и нажмите на окно игры, чтобы сделать его активным.

Если вы запустили игру, а ВР режим не включился (в шлеме ничего нет, а в окне игры обычное изображение), убедитесь что Steam VR (и Oculus Home для пользователей Oculus Rift) установлены и настроены верно. Можно попробовать запустить их вручную перед запуском игры. Если ВР режим так и не включился, проверьте опцию "Использовать ВР шлем" в настройках графики в игре, она должна быть включена. Остановимся подробнее на двух новых опциях в настройках графики - "резкость" и "динамическая детализация".

"Резкость" это фильтр пост-обработки изображения, повышающий его резкость. Он особенно полезен в ВР, чтобы приборы в виртуальной кабине были чётче видны, но он также работает и в обычном, не ВР режиме, если вам нравится более чёткая картинка. Понижает производительность он незначительно, так что попробуйте включить его, возможно, эффект вам понравится.

Динамическая детализация - это новый метод повышения стабильности количества кадров в секунду. Его значение можно менять от 0,5 (половина исходного разрешения) до 1,0 (полное разрешение). Если выбрать значение 1,0, то всё будет работать как раньше. Если же установить значение меньше единицы, то тем самым вы разрешаете игре "на лету" ухудшать качество графики до этого предела с целью сохранения количества кадров в секунду на уровне, выбранном в списке "Заданный FPS" здесь же. То есть, если заданный ФПС равен 144, а динамическая детализация 0,5, то игра может рассчитывать изображение в половинном разрешении, стремясь выдать желаемые 144 кадра в секунду. Попробуйте различные сочетания этих параметров, чтобы найти оптимальное соотношение для вашего компьютера, при котором производительность будет достаточно высокой, а качество изображения не пострадает слишком сильно. На обычном мониторе ухудшение качества заметно сильнее, чем в ВР шлеме, поэтому эта настройка особенно полезна для ВР.

Обратите внимание, что значение "Заданный FPS" в ВР игнорируется - оно привязано к частоте обновления изображения в шлеме (90 кадров в секунду или 45, если производительность недостаточна для 90 FPS и драйвер шлема включает технологию вставки дополнительных кадров, которая в Oculus называется ASW, а в Vive - reprojection). Это значение также игнорируется, если в игре включена опция V-Sync - в этом случае заданный FPS равен частоте обновления экрана монитора.

На соседнем экране настроек камеры есть новая опция - "Ограничивать взгляд в режиме ВР". Когда она включена, виртуальная голова пилота не может высунуться за пределы остекления кабины или проникнуть в панель приборов. Звучит логично, но есть проблема - в ВР это ограничение может вызывать тошноту. Вы двигаете головой в шлеме свободно, ведь у вас дома нечему её остановить, пока вы не уткнётесь в стену или монитор, например - а ваша виртуальная голова в кабине самолёта вдруг останавливается, потому что дальше уже остекление. Это несоответствие и может вызвать неприятные ощущения, поэтому практически во всех ВР играх, включая симуляторы с поддержкой ВР, обзор ничем не ограничен, в Ил-2 же у вас есть частичный выбор. Частичный, так как если опция "Разрешить наблюдателей" запрещена в настройках сложности (например, в мультиплеере на экспертных серверах), то обзор будет ограничен для предотвращения нечестной игры.

В настройке управления, в разделе "Камера", теперь есть две новые команды, которыми вы часто будете пользоваться в виртуальной реальности. "Установка положения VR по умолчанию" центрирует положение виртуальной головы пилота. Если вы надели шлем и в кабине вы находитесь со смещением, посмотрите прямо перед собой и нажмите эту клавишу (Numpad 5 по умолчанию) - положение головы будет отцентрировано.

Вторая команда это "Увеличение масштаба вида VR". Это специальный двукратный "зум" для режима ВР, работает, пока нажата соответствующая кнопка (Numpad + по умолчанию). Поворот головы при включённом приближении может вызвать неприятные ощущения, так что лучше использовать его по принципу "посмотрели в нужном направлении - включили увеличение - выключили - посмотрели в другом направлении".

Важный момент для повышения производительности - отключение внутри-игрового интерфейса (клавиша H) даёт большой прирост. В режиме ВР у вас есть уникальная возможность смотреть на приборы как настоящий пилот, пользуйтесь ею. Даже с выключенным интерфейсом маркеры целей можно включить (клавиша I).

Если в режиме ВР вы посмотрите вниз, то заметите синее кольцо. Это специальный "ограничитель", показываемый Steam VR для вашей безопасности, поэтому на данный момент отключить его программно нельзя. Вы можете отключить его, отредактировав специальный файл Steam VR на вашем компьютере. Как это сделать, можно найти в Интернете, например, поискав 'turn off chaperone boundaries'.

Некоторые бета-тестеры жаловались на то, что они видели различные объекты в ВР двоящимися (например, перекрестие коллиматора). Есть несколько причин, почему так может произойти в вашем случае:

1) Во-первых, убедитесь, что расстояние между зрачками выбрано верно - оно настраивается ручкой или ползунком на шлеме справа. Когда вы его меняете, выбранное значение видно в шлеме. Если вы когда-нибудь получали рецепт на очки, то там это расстояние было указано.
2) Во-вторых, поймите сразу, что игра в ВР принципиально отличается от игры на плоском экране с тракиром. Объекты находятся на различном расстоянии и на них нужно фокусировать глаза как в реальной жизни. Если вы смотрите на корпус прицела, приборы или переплёт фонаря, то все дальние объекты будут двоится (а перекрестие коллиматорного прицела это дальний объект, как и цель, которую вы пытаетесь поразить). При прицеливании нужно фокусироваться на цели, в этом случае перекрестия прицела тоже должно быть чётким и не двоиться (а кабина и корпус прицела при этом двоится будут, так и должно быть).
3) В-третьих, правильно смотрите сквозь прицел - ваш ведущий глаз (которым вы целитесь) должен быть точно на линии за перекрестием прицела. В ВР это просто и естественно, просто переместите голову.
3) В-четвёртых, если перечисленное выше не помогает - к сожалению, это сильно зависит от индивидуальных особенностей человека. Некоторые из тестеров (и нас разработчиков) целились через коллиматорный прицел в ВР без проблем сразу, некоторые привыкли через короткое время, а некоторым ничего, что мы могли настроить, не помогло. Это частная проблема для режима ВР - как правило, в обычной ВР игре разработчики специально избегают ситуаций, где игроку нужно всё время смотреть то на близкие, то на дальние объекты, но это невозможно в боевом авиасимуляторе, где пилоту постоянно нужно то смотреть на приборы, то выискивать цели вдалеке. Если ничего не помогает и перекрестие прицела двоится, попробуйте целиться, закрывая один глаз и целясь только другим. Это не идеальный вариант, но множество людей стреляют с коллиматорным прицелом именно так и добиваются хороших результатов.

Мы потратили много времени и сил на подключение режима ВР. Надеемся, он вам понравится и вы оцените недостижимый прежде уровень погружения, который он даёт виртуальным пилотам! Увидимся в небе!
Last edited by BlackSix; 11 Apr, 2017 @ 8:14am
Stubbin88.TTV 11 Apr, 2017 @ 8:17am 
hell yeah been waiting forever for this
Torso 11 Apr, 2017 @ 9:10am 
@Jason

You magnificent bastard and your team. I work from home, so had been eager to check this out right away, just updated and launched. My god it is awesome. To be sitting in that HE-111, to go into the bomb bay, the turret, the gunner pos's. Thank you for this. This is amazing, truly, and can only imagine it could possibly get better over time with possioble improvements. Please let the team know their work paid off and how amazing this is for us and thank them and yourself for pulling this off.

Now if only you could influence the RoF team to do similar. Please make that call!
Levesque727 11 Apr, 2017 @ 10:35am 
stuck at loading after selecting HTC option in game and reloading
Shizora 11 Apr, 2017 @ 10:54am 
Nothing happens after starting BoS in Steam

Update: I uninstalled SteamVR Beta and installed SteamVR and now it works
Last edited by Shizora; 11 Apr, 2017 @ 10:59am
Magnvs 11 Apr, 2017 @ 10:25pm 
:O
UCAV 17 Apr, 2017 @ 3:37am 
In a way it works ok in osvr with a Razer HDK 2, but the resolution ingame with this HMD is not ok. i'm looking into that, because the ingame settings are, as mentioned in the developer's guidelines for vr, independent for main screen and HMD. Otherwise a nice experience to find yourself in a 'real' cocpit. BTW. The setup of the HDK was at least most horrible, but in contradiction of many opinions on the net, the interfacing of osvr with steam vr must be in direct mode setup of the osvr software for steam vr to work.
Last edited by UCAV; 17 Apr, 2017 @ 3:38am
marklar 5 May, 2017 @ 11:41am 
I changed the resolution from 1080p to 640x480 and didn't gain a single frame in VR mode.
Chalax 21 Jun, 2017 @ 4:05pm 
Any one knows if the Alienware r4 with Tobii eyex integrated works in this game? I havent been able to set it up. Maybe I am doing something wrong...
BaggyG 28 Jun, 2017 @ 1:51pm 
Since the store page is unclear on the matter, can I use a hotas (X55) whilst in VR?
Sneaksie(RUS)  [developer] 29 Jun, 2017 @ 2:21am 
Why not?
BaggyG 29 Jun, 2017 @ 2:27am 
Originally posted by Sneaksie(RUS):
Why not?
Is this a response to me?

The Store Page says "The VR mode for this game requires the use of a keyboard and mouse.". Hence why I ask if I can use a hotas system instead whilst in VR. I thought it is the case but wanted to be sure before purchasing.
Sneaksie(RUS)  [developer] 29 Jun, 2017 @ 2:44am 
Ah, I see. This is the standard Steam store definition, meaning you won't be able to play using the VR controllers or gamepad (in theory you can play with gamepad if you map the controls conveniently for you). Hotas has many controls so you should be able to use it in VR once you memorize your mappings. Enjoy:)
droneattack 3 Jul, 2017 @ 12:29am 
I play Xplane 11 using a program that maps the Vive controller to a gamepad. One touchpad is the joystick the other touchpad is rudder and throttle. Which works amazing!

Will this game work like that?
Dash 3 Jul, 2017 @ 12:25pm 
How do I stop the cockpit floating around when I move my head in VR? If I move my head to aim, the cockpit slides gently sideways, so I have to move my head more, and the cockpit moves more, and after 20 seconds I am leaning sideways out of my chair. It's retarded. I can re-center the camera with Numpad 5 but as soon as I go to aim the same ♥♥♥♥ happens again.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 330 comments
Per page: 1530 50