STAR WARS™ Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith™

STAR WARS™ Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith™

Dark Mara
Recently reinstalled MotS having played the demo back in the 90s from the old Lucas Arts collection. The troubleshooting posts here helped me out a lot getting it to run on Windows 7, I thought for sure I'd be stuck with clunky system issues but it looks just like it did back in the day. I run it in XP comp with JKM.exe as admin. Playing it in 1024x768 with all features active, the only hiccups I experience are returning to active game from alt tab forces a game crash, resolved by tabbing out from ESC menu as that transfers to an actual window. After some remapping of keys and mouse controls she plays great.

Currently stuck now fighting Dark Mara in the Sith Temple and she is a pain. I chose to play on medium difficulty and after a solid 3 minute fight I have a save where she is caught in the water leading up to the temple. I healed up to full health and have a rank 2 heal ready to pop for the next round however Dark Mara still seems to have a lot of health to cut through. Her 25 hit lightning is a real problem, I can dodge them, and continue to circle and slash but eventually she gets me. I must be on my 20th attempt or so from my save point trying to beat her but it feels like a losing battle. My only regret is not taking more ranks in heal or some other offensive power.

Wondering if anyone here has any tips. I have max jump and rank 3 speed, rank 2 push, pull, and grip, however none of them seem to give any advantage in combat. I'll keep plugging away but I think I'm stuck in a losing battle.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Shadowy / JYSKII 24 Feb, 2016 @ 11:39pm 
I also played on medium, but I didn't find her that hard. After 10 years I forgot default key Z is stronger swing and I found it in the end of Mots :D so try that if you haven't it really makes a difference in damage. Also I think I had force protection, can check later today my setup for my force powers.

EDIT: What does matter with my force powers, Persuasion 4, Health 4, Destruction 4 and Protection 3
Last edited by Shadowy / JYSKII; 25 Feb, 2016 @ 5:21am
Fritz the Cat 25 Feb, 2016 @ 5:24pm 
Awesome thank! Will try that, it might just be what I've been missing.
Shadowy / JYSKII 26 Feb, 2016 @ 12:16am 
Funny how in this game persuasion is useful against bosses, even they have force seeing, they still don't tend to see you. They just swing their sword around hoping to hit you. Ofc they see you partly that they have feeling where you are, but with patience this should win you a day. Back in dark forces 2 though. Jerecs swings are so wide that I found persuasion useless on that since he swings so ofthen or maybe just say he swings constantly.
大家,早安 28 Apr, 2016 @ 6:27am 
Force deadly sight.
Magikabula 19 Oct, 2018 @ 12:44am 
I got nothing. I went full chain lighting, and lo and behold, it's just as useless as it was in the last game, only moreso. Force Persuasion doesn't work for me. Even if I hit her every time I can't kill her before it runs out. I've tried to cheese her into the water, but she can still shoot lightning at me.

I've beaten every other dark jedi from the previous game, and don't get me wrong: Each one was a different flavor of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ in their own special way. THis game has TERRIBLE lightsaber fights. Still, I was usually able to find the proper strategy to cheese the other guys, whether force throwing shards at the Crude guy, or Body blocking Jerec from getting to the temple, or just circle strafing the brothers sith.

What's the secret to Dark Mara? It's a coin toss when she actually lands the chain lightning, and I can't hit her enough times to outlast that damage. Am I doomed to have to replay every level to find more secrets and unlock more stars? That's ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥!

EDIT: Finally beat that witch. Everyone kept telling me, "Don't go in the corridor! She'll kill you!" Yeah, no. Go in there, wait for her to follow, and then try and jump over her head to get back into the larger room. I did this and she was trapped in the corridor while I played Peekaboo around the corner until she died. She kept on using Force Jump to give herself concussions, and as long as I ducked behind a corner enough times, she never zapped me with lightning. I'm gonna reload and try again with this strat to see if it works for real.
Last edited by Magikabula; 19 Oct, 2018 @ 12:00pm
Boart 27 May, 2021 @ 9:33am 
Always move - I found running while circling Dark Mara never let her land a lightning. Hop if you have to change directions. While circling, once you have her flank or back pull a strong swing (alt fire). She goes down relatively quickly. It took me a few tries to get it right, but I beat her without force healing.
I'm stuck too. And I had poorly chosen my skills throughout the game, so I screwed.
EDIT: finally killed that modafoca! I hit her many times, then saved in the middle of the fight... then hit her again many times, save it again haha and so on.
Last edited by Jucarion; 9 Jul @ 11:08am
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50