Factorio

Factorio

View Stats:
Play un-modded first?
So should I play my first play through un-modded?

Through the tutorial / demo, I wanted to place items on different sides of the belt from a line of manufacturing modules, am I mechanically playing it wrong? (even though there is no wrong) less efficient perhaps is a better statement.
Originally posted by Drizzt:
Originally posted by Dr. ~ shatter proof ~:
i would advise this for pretty much all games - unless they are well known to be so broken that they need mods to even be playable

this game is about as polished as it can be, so definitely i would recommend playing vanilla first

but it does also have one of the finest libraries of mods around - so when you are ready to play with mods, there are plenty - from small interface changes or helpers - to massive overhauls

Through the tutorial / demo, I wanted to place items on different sides of the belt from a line of manufacturing modules, am I mechanically playing it wrong? (even though there is no wrong) less efficient perhaps is a better statement.
i am not entirely sure what you mean here - certainly each side of the belt is a separate lane

generally people tend to put a single item type on a single belt lane - so if you are making gears and circuits for example, the gears would go on one side (lane) of the belt and the circuits on the other

you can mix items in a single lane, but you will then need to use a filter of some kind to split them up when you need to send them to be used - since if you mix them all together you could block an input - e.g. if your machine needs gears and circuits, and you have both on the same side of the belt, they are unlikely to be evenly distributed, and so the machine may take some gears and then need circuits, but still only be able to reach gears

so in general, it is usually accepted as the more efficient method to have each lane of a belt be for a single type of item - but you can also use both lanes for the same type of item to have double the throughput

also - inserters can grab from both sides of a belt - but can only place on the far side

hopefully this all helps - good luck :-)
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
yes
go a bit unmodded, figure out what you may want to fix/enhance and go from there.

as for playing wrong or inefficient; maybe, but does it really matter? you'll figure out the "better" ways to do things soon enough, or at least how you want to do things.
Last edited by brian_va; 3 Aug @ 3:37pm
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Drizzt 3 Aug @ 3:38pm 
i would advise this for pretty much all games - unless they are well known to be so broken that they need mods to even be playable

this game is about as polished as it can be, so definitely i would recommend playing vanilla first

but it does also have one of the finest libraries of mods around - so when you are ready to play with mods, there are plenty - from small interface changes or helpers - to massive overhauls

i am not entirely sure what you mean here - certainly each side of the belt is a separate lane

generally people tend to put a single item type on a single belt lane - so if you are making gears and circuits for example, the gears would go on one side (lane) of the belt and the circuits on the other

you can mix items in a single lane, but you will then need to use a filter of some kind to split them up when you need to send them to be used - since if you mix them all together you could block an input - e.g. if your machine needs gears and circuits, and you have both on the same side of the belt, they are unlikely to be evenly distributed, and so the machine may take some gears and then need circuits, but still only be able to reach gears

so in general, it is usually accepted as the more efficient method to have each lane of a belt be for a single type of item - but you can also use both lanes for the same type of item to have double the throughput

also - inserters can grab from both sides of a belt - but can only place on the far side

hopefully this all helps - good luck :-)
Drizzt 3 Aug @ 3:39pm 
Originally posted by brian_va:
as for playing wrong or inefficient; maybe, but does it really matter? you'll figure out the "better" ways to do things soon enough, or at least how you want to do things.
OP - mostly ignore my stuff about belt lanes and go with what this guy said :-)
Fel 3 Aug @ 3:44pm 
You should definitely play at least a full playthrough without mods first to learn all of the basics.
It will allow you to have a clearer idea on what you will want from mods, knowing how to handle belts and such normally first.

Inserters placing items on the far side of a belt is something that feels wrong at first to many, but then you learn how to handle belts.
They are a lot more versatile than it pretty much all other games, having two lanes is one part of this but not all of it.

I mean, you could get bob's inserters as a mod and configure your inserters however you like of course, but knowing how to handle belts is still a pretty beneficial thing.
brian_va 3 Aug @ 3:50pm 
Originally posted by Drizzt:
Originally posted by brian_va:
OP - mostly ignore my stuff about belt lanes and go with what this guy said :-)
and then go with what this guy said about belts when you start running into trouble.:steammocking:
puschit 3 Aug @ 4:11pm 
Of course unmodded. How else are you going to decide which of the thousands of mods will fit your need!?
Nice thanks guys, got it. Appreciate you all.
Drizzt 3 Aug @ 4:25pm 
Nice thanks guys, got it. Appreciate you all.
have fun :-)
~ Diviad ~ 17 Aug @ 10:03am 
When I started playing with mods, I got blown away by how awesomely fun they can be and how they can add to your creative experience. There are many I would highly recommend, provided they still work.
One trap though, is sometimes a game update may break some mods, so you will have to stick with a version that is still compatible with they mods you use. A similar thing used to happen though even with vanilla; an update may break your previous saved games. I don't know if this is still common. It's been a year or 2 and I'm trying to decide whether to get back into Factorio
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50