Aseprite

Aseprite

Aseprite VS Clip Studio Paint
I've been considering buying Aseprite for a while to make video game sprites. I already have Clip Studio Paint and I've made pixel art in it but I'd like to know if Aseprite has any advantages for making video game assets over CSP. Would it be easier to make animations and sprites in Aseprite than CSP or is it about the same?
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
tim. 2 Jul @ 4:59pm 
Honestly, i was in the same boat as you, and would recommend sticking with Clip. I'm constantly finding myself annoyed with Aseprite and frankly i'm not really sure why people praise it so much. It's got a couple of nice tools, it's lightweight, starts fast, and doesn't need a login/internet connection to use, but other than that it's a real clunky experience for me and things that seem like they should *just work* don't or are really tedious to sort out.

If you didn't have an art program already and specifically really wanted to do pixel art then i'd maybe say go for it, but i think Clip gets the job done plenty well enough.
sam 3 Jul @ 4:21pm 
Originally posted by tim.:
Honestly, i was in the same boat as you, and would recommend sticking with Clip. I'm constantly finding myself annoyed with Aseprite and frankly i'm not really sure why people praise it so much. It's got a couple of nice tools, it's lightweight, starts fast, and doesn't need a login/internet connection to use, but other than that it's a real clunky experience for me and things that seem like they should *just work* don't or are really tedious to sort out.

If you didn't have an art program already and specifically really wanted to do pixel art then i'd maybe say go for it, but i think Clip gets the job done plenty well enough.

One of the nice things is it will be updated until 1.9 for free once you have the program. In a world where subscription plans are everywhere it's nice to have a one time fee which is pretty cheap as is. It's also nice that on the aseprites website you can suggest things on the forum for them to add. One draw back is it does take a long time to get to the next numbered update 1.3 being worked on for 3 years now I think.
Originally posted by Carboncoal:
I've been considering buying Aseprite for a while to make video game sprites. I already have Clip Studio Paint and I've made pixel art in it but I'd like to know if Aseprite has any advantages for making video game assets over CSP. Would it be easier to make animations and sprites in Aseprite than CSP or is it about the same?
I've never used Clip Studio Paint so I'm unaware of it's functions. But Aseprite has the ability to make tile sets which can be helpfull. I also don't mean just making the tiles, they have a built in thing for making and importing them.
Innosaryn 12 Jul @ 10:02am 
I work professionally for pixel animations. Im going to speak mostly from that perspective. I recommend Aseprite for your average pixel animation.

The only reason I opened CSP for my work in recent memory was to get rotational symmetry on an animation. I only ended up doing it to get the ball rolling and I quickly exported back to aseprite. CSP's animation toolset is really clunky, I need to be able to freely move, copy, flip, rotate, and reverse frames. CSP can do none of that easily. Not to mention all the other tools that aseprite has for pixel art that CSP doesnt. I use the shading tool a TON, without it my animation speed would hemorrhage.

The only reason I would animate in CSP over aseprite is if I were doing more traditional animation. I assure you, I would be looking for a different animation program. I love CSP, but it is a drawing program first.

One more thing worth mentioning is export, which is important to you. Aseprite is a lot more flexible in this regard.

Do keep in mind though, I sit in this program for hours a day doing nothing but animation.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50