Team Fortress 2
Therian Representation in TF2?
What is 'Therian'?

'Therian' is short for 'therianthrope'.

It means a persyn who identifies integrally as a nonhumxn being, such as a wolf, polar bear, or even earthworm.

While the two communities hystorically emerged separately, it has a lot of overlap with the “otherkin” community, which includes any individual that identifies as nonhumxn (e.g. as an elf, dragon, or even fictional character).

Not to be confused with furries!
Because those still identify themselves as humxn, while Therians don't, huge difference.

Nonhumxn identity, like other facets of identity, tends to go through a developmental period (usually in adolescence) and stay stable throughout the lifespan. Some research suggests a possible overlap with other forms of neurodiversity, but the identity itself is not inherently pathological!!!

Therians are different from spirit animals.
Finding your spirit animal is very different from discovering your identity as a therian.

Spirit animals are symbolic, sometimes sacred guides that take on the form of an animal and offer you protection and guidance. While they are spiritual, they’re still a separate entity that you can communicate with.

Therian animal identities, on the other hand, are not separate from the therian themselves. They share one body.

Just like trans*people (and otherkins) Therians can experience dysphoria, so the best course of action if you happen to encounter them in TF2 (Casual, MvM, community servers) is to acknowledge their self-identification respectfully and be sure to support this minority.

How Can the Developers Acknowledge Therian Players in TF2?

TF2 dev team can introduce a 'Therian option' to TF2.

It would work like an extra label, similar how it works in competitive matches of CS2 (so the name of your team is displayed in the Scoreboard and Killfeed, in addition to your nickname).

They can also add specific Therian taunts, current taunts were not made with Therians in mind, and cosmetics.

While there is many animal-related cosmetics in TF2, it's not really enough for all Therian players to express their identities.

The dev team can add Therianthropy event, which will take place every year in November on the first full moon.

So what do you think?

Should TF2 have Therian representation?
Last edited by "Kris"; 23 May @ 10:10pm
Originally posted by rocketgreentea:
Originally posted by -Average Main-:
Originally posted by "Kris":
It's okay to be gay.
riiiight..
Don't log into websites with your steam account!!
-Average Main-
I'm 15.
I like TF2.
TF2 Classes I like: Demo, Soldier, Engineer, Medic, Sniper
Been playing since 2015. (Old acc got hacked bc i was stupid and logged into a website with my steam account.)
Bday: 4/21
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
The issue you have with bait is that you make it too obvious. Non-regulars won't give clowns to a post talking about a "Therian."
"Kris" 23 May @ 10:14pm 
Originally posted by Gnome Truther:
The issue you have with bait is that you make it too obvious. Non-regulars won't give clowns to a post talking about a "Therian."
Being a Therian is not "bait".
Please educate yourself instead of discriminatory rhetoric.
Last edited by "Kris"; 23 May @ 10:14pm
"Kris" 23 May @ 10:15pm 
i cant tell if its bait or not and if it isnt i dont like the idea of this
How does it hurt you if TF2 has Therian representation?

Please educate yourself instead of dicriminatory rhetoric.
Just giving advice. Stick to trans and gay stuff if you want awards.
"Kris" 23 May @ 10:19pm 
Originally posted by Gnome Truther:

Please educate yourself instead of dicriminatory rhetoric.
Just giving advice. Stick to trans and gay stuff if you want awards.
So what you're saying is that being trans* and gay is for clout and awards, and Therians don't get to have it just because of their identity?

Crazy how deep the roots of bigotry and discrimination are in this world.
Last edited by "Kris"; 23 May @ 10:27pm
TF2 already has Therian representation! All of the mercs have their own "animal head"!
"Kris" 23 May @ 10:26pm 
How does it hurt you if TF2 has Therian representation?
it doesnt hurt but i feel like it would be a waste to have representation of any kind and not just the game, its already annoying we have a billion hats, we dont need representation for any groups, no offense, but i feel like ppl should focus more on the game, we dont need more hats, we dont need more taunts, and we sure as hell dont need representation.
The only thing the TF2 developer team is focused on since Blue Moon are things like cosmetics and stuff, not the game itself. Not gameplay.
So it makes my idea reasonable.

Do you know how much hate do trans* and Therian individuals get?
It's already enough of a basis for VALVe to include Therian and LGBTQ+ representation in their games, this does NOT hurt you in any way.

TF2 dev team decide for themselves, it's THEIR game, not YOURS.
It won't be a waste for Therian players, think of other people for once, please.
Last edited by "Kris"; 23 May @ 10:28pm
"Kris" 23 May @ 10:31pm 
Originally posted by rocketgreentea:
TF2 already has Therian representation! All of the mercs have their own "animal head"!
While there is many animal-related cosmetics in TF2, it's not really enough for all Therian players to express their identities.
"Kris" 23 May @ 10:34pm 
The only thing the TF2 developer team is focused on since Blue Moon are things like cosmetics and stuff, not the game itself. Not gameplay.
So it makes my idea reasonable.

Do you know how much hate do trans* and Therian individuals get?
It's already enough of a basis for VALVe to include Therian and LGBTQ+ representation in their games, this does NOT hurt you in any way.

TF2 dev team decide for themselves, it's THEIR game, not YOURS.
It won't be a waste for Therian players, think of other people for once, please.
Never said it hurts to have representation, I just don't really think it's a good way for devs to spend their time on their game. ik its valve's game, also tf2 doesn't have a dev team, valve employees are free to work on whatever they want, it's how they work. And ik trans and "therians" get hate, but a hat or taunt with a dog or some ♥♥♥♥ isn't going to fix that.
NORMALIZATION of VULNERABLE minorities by having SIMPLE representation in popular places helps a LOT.
"Kris" 23 May @ 10:35pm 
I'm DONE falling for bait.
Insomnia 23 May @ 11:53pm 
Why this on Team Fortress forums of all things? Why? Just why?
pyro exists ig
CV70 24 May @ 1:34am 
the insane amount of sinning one has to witness in tf2 discussions page
ktulu84 24 May @ 1:40am 
This will not look good in pearly gates dude
Krystal 24 May @ 6:12am 
uh why does tf2 need therian representation
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 23 May @ 10:07pm