Team Fortress 2
Women of Team Fortress 2, how has your experience been in Casual when using voice chat?
This is a serious question because I’ve seen it a few times playing casual. A woman speaks on mic and is either bombarded with sexual harassment, or blatant misogyny and sexism. Now this isn’t always the case but I’ve seen it enough to wonder, and the straw the broke the camels back was my girlfriend was playing recently and was focused and vote kicked despite being the top scorer. All because she used voice chat, after asking why, she was laughed at as they kicked her.

Now I’m not gonna assume this is the norm. I’ve only seen these type of incidents happen a handful of times in my 1.7k hours and this was the first time it happened to my girlfriend in 700 hours. But I also know TF2 has a vastly majority male playerbase and just want to collect some data and anecdotes on this.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 45 comments
i get nothing but praise and approval for my actions :steamthumbsup:
Do you mean women or "women"? Because women is a 75/25 of everyone simping for them super hard or just kicking them immediately.
random dude on RED asked if i was ovulating
finding women in TF2 is like finding a grey ball in gmod except nobody enjoys it when they do
"Kris" 20 Jun @ 3:06am 
Literally every single gaming community is like that, unfortunately.
Although, TTT players were unironically the calmest about extremely rare occurences, suprisingly. Truly, a special kind of IQ.

I've made multiple threads on misogyny in TF2, you can take a look if you want:

But like, every multiplayer game is almost the same in this regard, the exact same could be said, sadly😭
Last edited by "Kris"; 20 Jun @ 3:28am
rando is right, it's literally like 75% of people are weird, and 25% are violently weird
Zero001 20 Jun @ 3:37am 
Serious answer: This is a problem with pretty much almost every multiplayer game, especially these older ones riddled with manbabies who never play anything else.

Though, apparently, this is more likely to happen if the guy is like, actually ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ at the game. So it's pretty much just insecurity, if that helps you feel any better. (just like when your GF got kicked, since she was top-scoring)

I wouldn't say it's the norm, but more of a 50/50 dice roll.

Don't expect too many serious answers from a community clinging on for dear life with tears in their eyes.
Last edited by Zero001; 20 Jun @ 3:38am
it’s sad. i had to stop using voice chat years ago for this reason despite enjoying using it with randoms. i find that when people do realise my gender, 20% of them will simp and start pestering me and 80% will hard focus/target me. I kinda have to blend in now :/

i’d love to have more fellow female friends in tf2, so please feel free to add me :)
Last edited by the rizzler; 20 Jun @ 4:09am
Originally posted by goober:
it’s sad. i had to stop using voice chat years ago for this reason despite enjoying using it with randoms. i find that when people do realise my gender, 20% of them will simp and start pestering me and 80% will hard focus/target me. I kinda have to blend in now :/
Use a voice changer or vocoder, it’ll be funny and effective!
Originally posted by Mcfighter2:

true! I've thought about it but it's defo a good idea. i'm never serious when playing this game i just ♥♥♥♥ about
you're a real one :csgo_chicken:
Phat Ho 20 Jun @ 3:57am 
I got no clue, I'm too busy playing the game while everyone else acts like a bunch of morons the moment a woman makes themselves known. Then again I see that in every online game I have ever played and yeah it sucks but theres not much you can do.
Originally posted by Zero001:
Serious answer: This is a problem with pretty much almost every multiplayer game, especially these older ones riddled with manbabies who never play anything else.

Though, apparently, this is more likely to happen if the guy is like, actually ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ at the game. So it's pretty much just insecurity, if that helps you feel any better. (just like when your GF got kicked, since she was top-scoring)

I wouldn't say it's the norm, but more of a 50/50 dice roll.

Don't expect too many serious answers from a community clinging on for dear life with tears in their eyes.
What?

i’ve always always wanted female friends in tf2, so please feel free to add me! :)
OP do not fall for this lol

Voice changers are only good for sounding like a demon

i’ve always always wanted female friends in tf2, so please feel free to add me! :)
OP do not fall for this lol

this is the exact thing being faced on the daily lmao :smilepoop:

Voice changers are only good for sounding like a demon [/quote]

and maybe that's the plan ;)
"Kris" 20 Jun @ 4:18am 
and maybe that's the plan ;)
"If you want something to be done, do it yourself"
I did :steamhappy:

Can take months, or years if you're aren't passionate about it.
Or days, if you identify as beautiful, cool, and erudite Tututerok xenogender, with thousands of adoring fans!!!!
Last edited by "Kris"; 20 Jun @ 4:24am
ktulu84 20 Jun @ 4:21am 
I personally have never experienced any sexist harrasment or verbal insults
< >
Showing 1-15 of 45 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: 20 Jun @ 2:01am