Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

View Stats:
frog_clown 13 Jul, 2017 @ 7:01pm
Which is better 999 or VLR or ZERO TIME DILEMMA (ZTD)
each game has potential
But ZTD was way to confusing with the flow charts
999 was a rather short game but had funny diologue
VLR though Quark was Out for almost half the game but has a big surprising ending
So which would you choose
Originally posted by CloverChiaki96:
Originally posted by BishiDe:
Personally I find 999 to be the best of the series. It's gruesome, dark, and has a good mystery to it. While the puzzles are pretty lackluster at least in the nonary edition you don't have to play them 100 times like in the orginal trying to navigate the story. I don't really believe the bad endings are worthless like some have said. Each gives you unique insight for the player about the overall story and characters. Which in 999 was the best of the series. Despite the science fiction, it literally was... the most down to earth. :lilimok:

VLR however is really, really good in it's own right. But it just felt less of a life and death drama. I guess intestinal bombs are much more dramatic than forever sleepy time. I do however like that the story here is really one big plotline with lots of jumping around. The story here was also really satisfying. The gameplay was the series best hands down. The ending however was super convulated and when I go through it again soon, hopefully I'll be able to process it better. A lot of great twists in this game however. Honestly, I probably enjoyed this one just as much 999.

ZTD was the worst but it was fun to play a game I thought was never going to come out. There is loads to complain about here, but mostly I wish it had still been made as a VN like the other two... It still was fun and brought back the gruesomeness of the first game. It just overall felt like less love and resources went into it. So many plotholes especially in regards to VLR.

Blame the budget.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
CloverChiaki96 14 Jul, 2017 @ 1:30pm 
Virtue's Last Reward was the best, then Zero Time Dilemma, and 999 was my least favorite, because of the true ending mainly.
Kierva* 15 Jul, 2017 @ 11:28am 
In my opinion, Virtue's Last Reward is first for its amazing storytelling, character depth and probably the best puzzles I've ever solved. I just wish the final ending was not.....garbage. Nearly ruined the game for me. Second place is 999. While the characters and puzzles are great, I feel that VLR took almost everything that made 999 great and made it better. The only thing that 999 did better the VLR is the solid and fulfilling final ending. Zero's Time Dilemma is last of the three and while it is not a bad game (in fact I think it is a good game), I felt that the puzzles and character building were very lackluster compared to the previous two games. The final ending for ZTD is just as bad as VLR but there is information in the game that you were given after completion and it only made the ending more tolerable then in VLR.
Lay`ton Innocence 23 Jul, 2017 @ 11:17pm 
Oh I LOVE VLR more than any other games of this kind. I'm SPEECHLESS.
frog_clown 24 Jul, 2017 @ 5:00pm 
Well i say VLR won
Druid 31 Jul, 2017 @ 6:02am 
For me all three games have problems. But i would rank them like this:
1. Virtue's Last Reward - an incredible ending and the most consistent writing in the trilogy, but the structure of the game is a pain to go through, it is also too long.
2. Zero Time Dilemma - probably the most fun story experience of all three, at least for me even if there are some flaws. The ending though is far from VLR's goodness, some characters can get really annoying, and in the end there are several places in the story where i felt truly confused. Feels simplified, but i wouldn't say that it is bad for the game.
3. 999 - most inconsistent writing in the trilogy, but the story itself is fun to sit through. Improvements to the gameplay in "nonary games version" makes it smooth and pretty entertaining experience.
CloverChiaki96 4 Aug, 2017 @ 7:37am 
All three games have major flaws, I agee with DNI R in the ranks the only difference is that I liked all the characters in ZTD except for Mira. 999 was a great game until the ending, which I feel doesn't really fit into the concept of the series, the additional endings feel almost pointless, at least in VLR and ZTD they are apart of the story and tie into the overall plot. In ZTD, you do have to read a lot between the lines, but that is likely due to budget restraints, since Spike Chunsoft didn't really want to fund the game.
Last edited by CloverChiaki96; 4 Aug, 2017 @ 7:39am
Bishi 6 Aug, 2017 @ 5:32pm 
Personally I find 999 to be the best of the series. It's gruesome, dark, and has a good mystery to it. While the puzzles are pretty lackluster at least in the nonary edition you don't have to play them 100 times like in the orginal trying to navigate the story. I don't really believe the bad endings are worthless like some have said. Each gives you unique insight for the player about the overall story and characters. Which in 999 was the best of the series. Despite the science fiction, it literally was... the most down to earth. :lilimok:

VLR however is really, really good in it's own right. But it just felt less of a life and death drama. I guess intestinal bombs are much more dramatic than forever sleepy time. I do however like that the story here is really one big plotline with lots of jumping around. The story here was also really satisfying. The gameplay was the series best hands down. The ending however was super convulated and when I go through it again soon, hopefully I'll be able to process it better. A lot of great twists in this game however. Honestly, I probably enjoyed this one just as much 999.

ZTD was the worst but it was fun to play a game I thought was never going to come out. There is loads to complain about here, but mostly I wish it had still been made as a VN like the other two... It still was fun and brought back the gruesomeness of the first game. It just overall felt like less love and resources went into it. So many plotholes especially in regards to VLR.
beautheschmo 10 Aug, 2017 @ 2:29am 
999 > VLR > ZTD

999 and VLR are really close, but 3 things really swayed it towards 999 for me:

1. I liked the setup a bit more. They're both death games, obviously, but the time limit outlined at the beginning, the early display of the 'penalty', the rising water and the handful of 'rush to the deactivator' scenes all made the danger have a better sense of weight and immediacy.

2. Sequel-itis. Not really a fault or strength for either game, but 999's big twists were really surprising since I didn't have any idea what it was about before going into it. VLR's twists are every bit as good, but less impactful because I already knew going in what the rough premise of the twists would be (though there was still plenty of excellent stuff there!)

3. The biggest one for me, 999's story was pretty concise and there wasn't much need to repeat a lot of things. The middle part of VLR, where you're constantly repeating scenes you've seen before, with scene skip being constantly stopped to read slightly different variations on color/point configurations and watching increasingly annoying hallway segments, really dragged on for me.

The (mostly) better puzzles in VLR did help balance it out, so it's pretty close, but I slightly preferred 999.

ZTD is clearly the worst, though it was still pretty enjoyable. I liked the D-team stuff, and I actually kind of liked Q-team stuff too, despite the (likely intentionally) unlikeable characters, but the C-team segments are pretty bad and inconsistent.
CloverChiaki96 15 Aug, 2017 @ 2:28pm 
I just think that the ending of 999 didn't really fit the whole game. I felt the other two did fit in.
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
CloverChiaki96 15 Aug, 2017 @ 2:31pm 
Originally posted by BishiDe:

Blame the budget.
Kuruseida 4 Feb, 2018 @ 7:36am 
Xd.
Flying Fox 3 Apr, 2018 @ 8:09am 
played only the first 2 so far..

while the nonary game in 999 was a better scenario and it was a lot more open (VLR has most locked behind "play the other route now!" while 999 has this only to some extend which made it feel more fluent) however the scenario in VLR was so much more impactfull and the puzzles were in my opinion way harder if you wanted to have the extra keys aswell.. it got me puzzled more than one time while 999 was a bit more straight forward as far as i remember... (999 is some months ago and VLR was finished today so my memory could be a little off). Also a lot more plottwists... and monokumas VA in the japanese dub for some more hilarious moments..

Minuspoints for not voicing the maincharacter as in 999 for most parts. Minuspoint for not voicing the "true end" preview thing in japanese dub (i switched to english and it was dubbed - i switched from english to japanese and backwards during the routes anyway to experience both)

Both have a realy good replayability and i rly like both.. but VLR got more impact on me while i rly liked the characters in 999. VLR>999 with being pretty similar in liking
Anthroid 28 Jun, 2018 @ 8:58am 
Originally posted by Flying Fox:
Minuspoints for not voicing the maincharacter as in 999 for most parts.

The main character in VLR is not voiced for a logical reason. This is not 'minus points' at all.
Kuro 9 Jul, 2018 @ 1:40pm 
VLR is by a large margin the best written, most original and memorable work. 999 comes more to justice on the DS and is a great hand held VN, but does not match the complexity, length and quality of VLR which seems more like a fully fledged VN. ZTD while not a bad novel really saw lower quality writing and a very confusing plot progression, which I understand is part of the design but obviously the quality of the experience suffers. The characters in ZTD were just very shallow and mostly unlikable, which is a huge contrast to VLR.
Insane_Insomniac4 19 Aug, 2018 @ 8:54pm 
all three must be played to fully understand the story, and as such I'd recommend playing them in order of release to avoid spoilers
that said, I did find that I enjoyed ZTD overall just a little more than VLR, but that might just be because somebody threw out my important info tracking notes and I basically had to beat VLR twice to actually beat it...and 999 was overall the lowest rank, not for lack of story so much as for lack of choices...although the first time I played it was a total mindf*** cause I ended up getting the true ending in my second round on my initial blind playthrough (which requires seeing another ending to unlock, so second round is the first possible round to actually get it)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
Per page: 1530 50